The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Looking to change my axle-back exhaust again. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/looking-change-my-axle-back-exhaust-again-546488/)

SickShade14 1/12/19 01:05 PM

Looking to change my axle-back exhaust again.

Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing the gt500 quad-tip mod soon and I'm looking to change the sound again while I'm at it. Right now I have a roush axle-back and an offroad xpipe which is pretty loud. I'm don't mind getting something that'll quiet the car down a little, but at the same time I don't want it to be "stock" quiet. I was looking at magnaflow street series because of the deep tone but I'm worried if it's gonna have an overwhelming drone to it. My Roush has some drone but not anything that drives my nerves bad.

Do any of you guys have experience with the MF street series and O/R xpipe? Or what would you recommend?

kylerohde 1/12/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by SickShade14
Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing the gt500 quad-tip mod soon and I'm looking to change the sound again while I'm at it. Right now I have a roush axle-back and an offroad xpipe which is pretty loud. I'm don't mind getting something that'll quiet the car down a little, but at the same time I don't want it to be "stock" quiet. I was looking at magnaflow street series because of the deep tone but I'm worried if it's gonna have an overwhelming drone to it. My Roush has some drone but not anything that drives my nerves bad.

Do any of you guys have experience with the MF street series and O/R xpipe? Or what would you recommend?

Tons of discussion on here but the short answer is, if you want great sound and no drone, you need to buy Borla or Corsa.

759Rider 1/12/19 06:38 PM

No manufacturer recommendations. Just some pithy words.

Drone and noise, and a person’s tolerance for it, can be quite subjective. One persons “deep and mellow” is another’s headache.

I have found my tolerance for noisy pipes has decreased as I have gotten older, and started saying things like, “Get off my lawn!” Although my kids still tell me to turn the radio down l, so I’m probably OK.

My car came with a cat back system. When I was daily driving it or driving any distance, it made me crazy. And I went back to stock. As I turned the car to more of a track car, I put it back on.

Sound clips on the net are not representative. Best bet is to find some local cars and see if you can experience some different systems first hand.

:-)

esit to add: good luck. And have fun with the shopping process

SickShade14 1/12/19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 759Rider (Post 7038071)

Drone and noise, and a person’s tolerance for it, can be quite subjective. One persons “deep and mellow” is another’s headache.

I have found my tolerance for noisy pipes has decreased as I have gotten older, and started saying things like, “Get off my lawn!” Although my kids still tell me to turn the radio down l, so I’m probably OK.

My car came with a cat back system. When I was daily driving it or driving any distance, it made me crazy. And I went back to stock. As I turned the car to more of a track car, I put it back on.

Sound clips on the net are not representative. Best bet is to find some local cars and see if you can experience some different systems first hand.

Yeah you're right. My tolerance for loud pipes has change a bit over the last couple years for sure. I'm considering magnaflow and Corsa's least aggressive axle backs in hopes to bring the volume down a little. Going to a local car meet to check out other exhaust systems wouldn't be a bad idea.

SickShade14 1/12/19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 7038070)
Tons of discussion on here but the short answer is, if you want great sound and no drone, you need to buy Borla or Corsa.

I've considered Corsa sport and the Borla S-type. They're up there in price but if they provide the sound I want I'll spend the extra pennies.

kylerohde 1/12/19 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by SickShade14
I've considered Corsa sport and the Borla S-type. They're up there in price but if they provide the sound I want I'll spend the extra pennies.

I've had my S-Types for about 100k miles now and there's zero drone. That's why they're more expensive than Magnaflow. It's so worth it.

EF1 1/13/19 08:02 AM

I have the Kook's with the stock H pipe and cats. I like the sound, not too obnoxious, but there is a narrow band around 2000 rpm's where there is some drone. Just don't cruise at that engine speed and its great. Luckily with the 6 speed manual I can just change gears to avoid it.

5.M0NSTER 1/13/19 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 7038070)

This guy is right.

And this guy is right too!

Your tolerance for loud, raspy and drone can not be judged by us. For me just the GT500 ab was good enough most times. Sometimes at the track I wished for res delete in addition, but then I'd start it up early in the morning and I'd wish it was more quiet again. So you're the only one who can make the right choice for you.

TheReaper 1/13/19 11:20 AM

Do the Quads and get it over with, not too loud and almost just right.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...5b73f25047.jpg

05PRMTX 1/15/19 09:11 AM

I saw the Borla S-types brought up. I have the Ford Racing ones (just re-branded S-types) with res. deletes and I have ZERO drone. Not quite as loud as the corsa or roush, but still have plenty of bark and a nice deep rumble. I still have the sock mid-pipe and cats though, so take that with a grain of salt.

m05fastbackGT 1/19/19 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 7038153)
After reading over the post responses regarding the Borla S-type. I'll just add by stating that on the older 2005-10 (3) valve motors, the Borla S-types have a horrible drone to them, at least through my personal experience anyhow. As for the 2011-14, 5.0 Coyote motors are concerned? I don't really have much knowledge as far as how different the design changes are when compared with the older 2005-10 (3) valve motors. My guess is due to the exhaust valve changes between the 4.6 (3) valve and Coyote 5.0 4valve, the Coyote 4v motors are far less prone to interior resonance drone over the older 4.6 (3)valve motors. It would also be safe to assume that Borla also changed the interior design of their exhaust systems when being tuned for the 5.0 Coyote 4valve motors as well. At any rate, just saying :dunno:

The quote listed above was originally posted on another thread but was intended to be posted on this thread instead. My bad lol.

wanted33 1/26/19 01:16 PM

If your choice is between the Magnaflow, and Corsa I suggest the Corsa. Here's the only reason, and I don't know if it would apply to the type you are looking to buy. I put the Magnaflow on a 2004 F-150 Lightning. At first I loved the sound, but with some miles the sound changed for the worse. They began to sound like a tractor engine with the popping when you were starting from a complete stop. They did smooth out to a very good sound, but starting off they sure sucked. YMMV

With that said the Corsa will give you a more raspy sound, and the Borla will give you a deeper old style muscle car sound. I installed a set of GT500 Ford performance exhaust (as stated above they were Borla's sent to Ford performance for some kind of small changes I guess) on the wife's 2013 GT, and they sounded good from day one. And got better with the miles with absolutely no drone at any rpms.