Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Likely moving to Germany ... need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/18, 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
. . . we are going to miss you track videos in the mustang.
but will look forward to some autoban videos in a Porsche . . .
Old 7/2/18, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Marty, first of all, congrats on the new position and for the opportunity to live over in Germany. The bad news, however, was finding out that you'll have to sell your Mustang, especially knowing how much you invested in modding it just the way you wanted and how much you've really enjoyed and loved that car has to really suck. But like you said, getting the chance to relocate to Germany along with moving up in your company is a once in a lifetime opportunity for both you and your family. Therefore nobody can blame you in the least bit for doing what is best for them and for you, as family always comes first. As for cars, perhaps you might be interested in considering either a Porsche, Audi, M3 or possibly even look into buying a new Mustang over in Germany thanks to being able to buy them now in Europe which would save you all the import, tax, and modification costs involved to pass inspection. Needless to say, I really hope you don't leave the Mustang community as you're friendship as both a Mustang enthusiast and as a person has been highly regarded as very valuable by everyone here on TMS, myself included to say the very least, as you'll always be part of the Ford and Mustang family. In the meantime, I wish you and your family nothing but the very best in Germany
Thanks Brother. I value the friendships developed here over the past 5 years as well. There are so many people here who are a great credit to the Mustang community, yourself included Rocky. I will still check in every so often even if I don't have a Mustang any more

I'd like to start a new movement to remove speed limits #autobahnUSA!

Originally Posted by EF1
Best of luck on the move. I would pick something to drive over there that isn't readily available in the states. You may never get another chance to experience what Europe has to offer. Oh, and we are going to miss you track videos in the mustang.
Originally Posted by Bert
but will look forward to some autoban videos in a Porsche . . .
I will do my best not to disappoint!

Porsche may be a bit over my price range, but I wouldn't mind one of these:

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/b...14cd?cldtidx=1
Old 7/3/18, 08:24 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER

I'd like to start a new movement to remove speed limits #autobahnUSA!I will do my best not to disappoint!
I sorta already do that on some roads close by where I live.
Old 7/3/18, 09:18 AM
Banned

Hahaha, I hear you. These cars like to stretch out their legs. #autobahnUSA!

Ok, so which would you guys prefer? M3 or C63 AMG?

Both are '13s, ~50k miles and cost ~35k Euro

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/3/18 at 09:25 AM.
Old 7/3/18, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Tough call. I would take both for a test drive and see which you prefer overall. One of them may be a bit better performance wise, but the other may simply fit you better or just be more everyday friendly. I would also try to find out as much as possible about reliability and parts costs. I think either one would be a kick to drive. Good luck.
Old 7/3/18, 01:30 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Even though I'd like to drive an M3 someday I think the Mercedes is the better car period.
Old 7/3/18, 02:02 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'd prefer the Merc
Old 7/3/18, 02:09 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
I'd have to say AMG, if for no other reason than that glorious noise the AMG cars always seem to make when you stand on it. Not to mention torque, good ole tire shredding, throw you in the seat, torque.
Old 7/3/18, 03:41 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

My friend has an older AMG 550 and that thing flies while sounding good doing it.
Old 7/3/18, 05:06 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I haven't driven either, but I prefer the looks of the M3.
Old 7/5/18, 07:59 PM
Banned

Alright friends, today I gave the green light for the process to start. From what I hear it will take a while for the visas to go through, and all the bureaucracy to run it's course. We are still not certain about the dog situation. The state will issue an annual license for a "dangerous" dog for $740 (6x higher than for a little dog). But the customs and local police laws are still a ****ing enigma even to native speakers we've asked for help . But we won't know till we try, and we want to try. We will come up with contingencies in case the pooch gets turned away at the border.

Also I do prefer the AMG. Why? It's basically a German version of an American muscle car. Big, heavy, big V8. Tire shredding fun, and the sound!!

But I really want a track car. I want to attack Nurbergring, Hockenheimring, Monza, Spa and few others every year. I don't want to have to modify the car nearly as much as I did with my Mustang. And the M3 with the Competition package is (nearly) ready to go. Plus I love the way that 4L V8 sounds at 8400rpm. Love high revving V8s!

In terms of Porsche I could get a Cayman, but eh...it's a Cayman. The only 911s I could afford are over 10 years old.

I also looked at Audi RS5, but nah, it's a cruiser not a track car. I did find a few R8s which are about $10-15k more than I'd like to spend.... but R8.

So at the moment M3 seems to be the most affordable option.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/5/18 at 08:05 PM.
Old 7/9/18, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're passing through, I can see that. You pay a 45% income tax rate, and then as much a 19% Value Added Tax. And if you're there for a few years you get nothing in return.

But if you live there, roads are fantastic, college education is paid for and health care is free. So your 55% take home is all expendable income. You just go to a clinic, or a hospital and you never get any bills. As long as your grades are good enough college is free. The generations before you already paid in for it all. It sucks for the first generation, and perhaps the second, but after that it's smooth sailing. German's have had it going for over 60 years now. Oh, and Social Security you pay is is your retirement. Hardly anyone there has a 401k, because it's not really needed.

Yes, you don't have 24h Mejier. But no one works more than 40h work weeks. So it just depends how you look at it. Plus Germany is floating the rest of Europe financially right about now, so it may be worth paying attention to.
Thank you very much for this information. Yeah, retirement in the US is a joke. What happens if Americans move to Germany in their 40's or 50's? What kind of benefits can they enjoy?
Old 7/15/18, 09:23 PM
Banned

Hmm, good question. Do you mean move with intention to retire? If so I think one would have to go through the process of naturalizing and becoming a citizen to enjoy the benefits. Not sure how long that would take, or what the process entails. Plus I don't think Germany allows a dual citizenship like US does.

In my situation my company will be paying so that my family and I have access to the local health care and whatnot. But I'll be there for a fixed period of time, and then repatriate.
Old 7/16/18, 02:19 PM

Hmm, good question. Do you mean move with intention to retire? If so I think one would have to go through the process of naturalizing and becoming a citizen to enjoy the benefits. Not sure how long that would take, or what the process entails. Plus I don't think Germany allows a dual citizenship like US does.
So you think they would require you to relinquish your US Citizenship or be a German Citizen? It's about $2500 to do that with forms you have to fill out so that you can get out of the tax system.
Old 7/17/18, 06:05 PM
Banned

Yes, Germany does not allow dual. You would have to choose one or the other.
Old 7/18/18, 03:47 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Will you be able to use the US Military stores on their Base, if one is near you? Don't freak out about the toilets, and don't be surprised if an old woman is in the public toilets cleaning while you pee on a wall. You'll see what I mean, unless things have changed since I was there in 1975
Old 7/23/18, 01:42 PM

Yes, Germany does not allow dual. You would have to choose one or the other.
Why do they care? That's your business, not theirs.
Old 7/23/18, 08:05 PM
Banned

So it's getting real. I posted the Mustang up for sale tonight. And to be honest shed a few tears. The main picture I used was this one. I will miss this car dearly. I just hope I can find a worthy owner, not some POS who will crash it into a crowd or never change the oil

Gonna go back to sobbing now.
Attached Thumbnails Likely moving to Germany ... need some advice-img_0068.jpg  
Old 7/23/18, 08:50 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,584 Posts
I really feel for you, Marty, as I'd also be shedding quite a few tears if I were in your shoes right now as well. I also hope that whoever the new potential owner of your Mustang may be? will take just as much tender loving care of her as you have through the years and not wind up in the hands of some douchebag that may end up wrapping it around a friggin tree somewhere. In the meantime, best of luck, my friend
Old 7/23/18, 08:58 PM
Banned

Thanks Rocky. I appreciate it man. Sad moment right now. I've had this car for 5 years but I feel a lot more attached to it than I though. This is the Mustang magic, and the reason so many of us love the S197. Pouring an extra whiskey or 5 for this car tonight. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Likely moving to Germany ... need some advice