2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Keeping it clean and shiny!

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/10, 05:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping it clean and shiny!

So, while I am waiting for my 2011 GT to arrive (in transit as of Monday!) I am starting to think about how I will keep it looking good. It's been a really long time since I have had a car that was worthy of wax!

Can anyone recommend some good products for washing and waxing the exterior and keeping the interior nice? Hopefully something easy to use. The color of this car is Race Red...it will have a raceing stripe as well. Black leather interior. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 5/12/10, 05:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
www.autopia.org

or

https://themustangsource.com/forumdisplay.php?f=659
Old 5/12/10, 05:42 AM
Cobra R Member

And a recent thread here. . .

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=482439

I'm going with Zaino.
Old 5/12/10, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going with Zaino, as that's what I have on hand. Once you reach a certain level of products, it's about the technique more than the product. They will all give the same or similar result, for about the same price, for about the same duration. I would recommend that you give the car a nice claybar treatment before anything else. That is probably the most-overlooked technique in car maintenance, and it REALLY makes a huge difference.
Old 5/12/10, 07:18 AM
Cobra R Member

I use Ivory dish washing liquid w/ filtered water and Griot's Garage products (clay bar, polish, wax & detailer/speed shine).
Old 5/12/10, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

For Red or Black color cars I personally use Clearkote or Pinnacle products.
Old 5/12/10, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Kahdir
I use Ivory dish washing liquid w/ filtered water and Griot's Garage products (clay bar, polish, wax & detailer/speed shine).
I hope you don't use Ivory every time you wash the car.

And yes, we just had a long thread about this. Check out the link others have posted above me.

Last edited by Adam; 5/12/10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 5/12/10, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm with you on everything but the Ivory. Doesn't that strip the wax? Surely you don't do that every time you wash the car, right?

And I've said it before; I'll say it again. Griot's is the ultimate when you want to spoil a car.
Old 5/12/10, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DontShoot
And I've said it before; I'll say it again. Griot's is the ultimate when you want to spoil a car.
I have not used their products but heard good things. I like pinnacle and menzerna for my cars along with clearkote products for certain things. My ultimate pampering was on my black 10th where I used the their Souveran. Boy did that black paint look soooooooooooooo deep!!

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html
Old 5/12/10, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i use Griots, Adams and Meguiars. mostly Meguiars on everything but the others on specific stuff. i like all the cloths that Griots offers. like a previous post, i think its mostly the technique if you use the high end stuff. only one product i have gotten that i do not like and that is the ultimate quick detailer from meguiars. the regular quick detailer i have found to be the best for keeping the car nice and shiny. everything else i have used from all 3 have worked great for my needs.
Old 5/12/10, 10:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
I hope you don't use Ivory every time you wash the car.

And yes, we just had a long thread about this. Check out the link others have posted above me.
I'm with you on everything but the Ivory. Doesn't that strip the wax? Surely you don't do that every time you wash the car, right?

I use it twice a year (spring & summer), other times I take it to a brush-less auto wash. The times I use it, I clay bar it also.

Is Ivory liquid a bad thing?
Old 5/12/10, 10:41 AM
GT Member

I like the stuff obsessivedetail.com has. Especially the Optimum No Rinse wash.
Old 5/12/10, 10:42 AM
Cobra R Member

I use it twice a year (spring & summer), other times I take it to a brush-less auto wash. The times I use it, I clay bar it also.

Is Ivory liquid a bad thing?
I replied to your PM. It isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't need to be used unless you're trying to strip all the wax from your car to start over with a new type of wax or sealant. You put all that time and effort into protecting your paint with several coats of wax, there's no point to throw that in the trash twice a year by using dawn/ivory.

Every time I wash my car it looks like it is freshly waxed. Why? Because the product I use to clean the vehicle doesn't remove the layers of sealant already on the paint.

Last edited by Adam; 5/12/10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 5/12/10, 10:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
I replied to your PM. It isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't need to be used unless you're trying to strip all the wax from your car to start over with a new type of wax or sealant. You put all that time and effort into protecting your paint with several coats of wax, there's no point to throw that in the trash twice a year by using dawn/ivory.

Every time I wash my car it looks like it is freshly waxed. Why? Because the product I use to clean the vehicle doesn't remove the layers of sealant already on the paint.
Thank you again Adam, I appreciate the info.

Learned something new in time for my 2011's arrival
Old 5/12/10, 10:58 AM
GTR Member

Griots is decent, I don't think they're as good as some of the other brands, like Wolfgang. They'll do the job, but it's a far cry from spoiling the car.
Old 5/12/10, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I USE MEGUIARS GOLD CLASS SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER TO CLEAN MY CAR, USUALLY WASH IT ONE A WEEK
NEEDED OR NOT. PAINT STILL LOOKS LIKE NEW.
Old 5/12/10, 11:24 AM
V6 Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will read up on this and find some things to try. I appreciate the info.
Old 5/12/10, 11:28 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by yugoboss
I USE MEGUIARS GOLD CLASS SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER TO CLEAN MY CAR, USUALLY WASH IT ONE A WEEK
NEEDED OR NOT. PAINT STILL LOOKS LIKE NEW.
LOUD NOISES!

Old 5/12/10, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Griots is decent, I don't think they're as good as some of the other brands, like Wolfgang. They'll do the job, but it's a far cry from spoiling the car.
I'm not talking about their wax and other products. I mean the accessories and the tools to get the job done.
Old 5/12/10, 01:38 PM
GTR Member

I'm not talking about their wax and other products. I mean the accessories and the tools to get the job done.
Oh ok, I'll agree. Swissvax makes a great lineup of products as well.

Quick Reply: Keeping it clean and shiny!