The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Just ordered my 5.0! And a question... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/just-ordered-my-5-0-question-483498/)

raidernixon 5/20/10 05:01 PM

Just ordered my 5.0! And a question...

My future Mustang was officially ordered on May 13...I'm very excited and its going to be my first new car! (The details are in my sig.) I cant wait to move on from the Brown 2000 Taurus I inherited 7 years ago.

Its been a long time since I've been in the scene, but who is making the best after market suspension components for the current Mustangs?? Cosmetically I'm looking for maybe about an inch drop all around and performance wise I'm looking for something good for the twisties.

Thanks-

Rob

fritzOSU03 5/20/10 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by raidernixon (Post 5874281)
My future Mustang was officially ordered on May 13...I'm very excited and its going to be my first new car! (The details are in my sig.) I cant wait to move on from the Brown 2000 Taurus I inherited 7 years ago.

Its been a long time since I've been in the scene, but who is making the best after market suspension components for the current Mustangs?? Cosmetically I'm looking for maybe about an inch drop all around and performance wise I'm looking for something good for the twisties.

Thanks-

Rob

Congrats and welcome to the group!

I'll be looking into FRPP springs (1.5" drop) and Tokico D-Spec shocks once mine arrives. I've heard good things about both.

laserred38 5/20/10 06:05 PM

Look at Stinger1982's threads. He is prepping his car for road racing. Nice option combo btw, I definitely wouldn't kick that car out of my driveway. Exactly the same options I'd choose, and the color combo is classic!

06GT 5/20/10 06:09 PM

In my opinion, for a street car, FRPP springs w/ Koni dampers

raidernixon 5/20/10 07:00 PM

Thank you guys very much for the advice! Looks like FRPP is the way to go after researching them a bit. I liked what I saw with the Koni dampers as well...

I just had a look at Stinger1982's Mustang and that is pretty much exactly the stance I'm looking for. He picked the same tire size I'm going for and looks like he is using the FRPP springs as well.

coffeejolts 5/20/10 08:11 PM

Black with red looks awesome. Put red lemans stripes on it and it will look completely evil.

JoshuaEIB 5/20/10 11:48 PM

Thanks-

Rob

you can't go wrong with brembo, 3.73s and the M/T. i love mine!!!

Overboost 5/21/10 04:27 AM

For a nice complete package, the FR3 pack from FRPP would be a nice setup.

trane 5/21/10 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 5874598)
For a nice complete package, the FR3 pack from FRPP would be a nice setup.

Doesn't the 2011 basically come stock with this pack?

Overboost 5/21/10 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by trane (Post 5874743)
Doesn't the 2011 basically come stock with this pack?

No. Not at all.

trane 5/21/10 10:31 AM

So, I guess that also means that the 2010 Track Pack GTs weren't the equivalent to the FRPP pack. Hmmmm. Learn something new every day. T'anks. :)

Overboost 5/21/10 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by trane (Post 5874766)
So, I guess that also means that the 2010 Track Pack GTs weren't the equivalent to the FRPP pack. Hmmmm. Learn something new every day. T'anks. :)

The FRPP is a nice step up from the stock GT suspension. The 2011 with Brembos is about as close as you'll get to the 2010 TP equipped GT. I believe many of the TP features became standard, and the rest were rolled into the Brembo package.

Automagically 5/21/10 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 5874767)
The FRPP is a nice step up from the stock GT suspension. The 2011 with Brembos is about as close as you'll get to the 2010 TP equipped GT. I believe many of the TP features became standard, and the rest were rolled into the Brembo package.

I believe this to be true as well.

I also haven't researched the FRPP pack you guys are speaking of but many of the FRPP kits do lower the car around an 1" to 1.5". I don't recall any of the stock options doing so. Track Pack or other. I do love the look with the FRPP springs though!

Overboost 5/21/10 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Automagically (Post 5874793)
I believe this to be true as well.

I also haven't researched the FRPP pack you guys are speaking of but many of the FRPP kits do lower the car around an 1" to 1.5". I don't recall any of the stock options doing so. Track Pack or other. I do love the look with the FRPP springs though!

FRPP offers two spring options, 1" or 1.5". I think I'd go with the 1" just to clean up the wheel gap and make the car sit nicer than stock. They also have a higher spring rate compared to the Brembo springs.

trane 5/21/10 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 5874796)
I think I'd go with the 1" just to clean up the wheel gap and make the car sit nicer than stock.

I think the 1" drop would be a little more street-smart. With a 1.5" drop, you're more likely to start dragging stuff leaving parking lots and whatnot. At least, that's the case here in COS.

JScottGT 5/21/10 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by raidernixon (Post 5874384)
Thank you guys very much for the advice! Looks like FRPP is the way to go after researching them a bit. I liked what I saw with the Koni dampers as well...

I just had a look at Stinger1982's Mustang and that is pretty much exactly the stance I'm looking for. He picked the same tire size I'm going for and looks like he is using the FRPP springs as well.

I'd be careful with that tire size. The wheel/tire combo on Stinger's car with the 1.5" drop is causing some issues with the tires rubbing on the inner fenders. It may be a byproduct of the wheels not having quite the right offset for that tire size though. The wheels that come with the brembo package come with 255's and they appear to have a lot of room to the fenders, so it may just be the wheels he has.

Stinger1982 5/21/10 12:27 PM

here are my suspesion mods:

FRPP 1.5" drop springs
FRPP Adjustable dampers
Steeda adjustable front sway bar
Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plate
Steeda Bump steer kit
Rehagen Racing Brake ducts
Steeda adjustable panhard bar
Rehagen Racing Chrome Moly rear lower control arms
Motol RBF 600 Brake fluid
I recomend the following for a street car with a mean look

FRPP 1.0" drop springs
FRPP Non-adjustable dampers
Leave the stock sway bars and bushings
Steeda "street" adjustable panhard bar (same as me)
Steeda Bumpsteer kit (same as me).

thats way it will still ride good, handle 50% better then a stock mustang and it doesnt cost very much.

Here are links to all the products I just discussed so you can get part #'s etc.

Springs: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10553
Dampers: http://rehagenracingproducts.com/pro...&categoryId=15
Panhard bar: http://www.steeda.com/products/panhard_bar_brace.php <-dont need the extra brace they offer
Bumpsteer kit: http://www.steeda.com/products/bumpsteer_kit.php

FYI those dampers were designed and devolped by the same people who do the shocks for the FR-500C and Boss 302R1 Grand-Am race cars

JScottGT 5/21/10 12:27 PM

You cannot go wrong with any of the FRPP parts. The Steeda/Eibach springs are also decent. As far as dampers, I have the Tokico D-specs on my track car, and they are awesome.

Stinger1982 5/21/10 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JScottGT (Post 5874849)
I'd be careful with that tire size. The wheel/tire combo on Stinger's car with the 1.5" drop is causing some issues with the tires rubbing on the inner fenders. It may be a byproduct of the wheels not having quite the right offset for that tire size though. The wheels that come with the brembo package come with 255's and they appear to have a lot of room to the fenders, so it may just be the wheels he has.

its the Eagle F1-D3 (tire) thats the problem (its crazy wide for a 275) but since they are discontinued he wont have the issue

Glenn 5/21/10 12:39 PM

Thanks-

Rob

you ordered a car on the 13th :fear::fear: