The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   I'll be damned. RE-11s with 12,000+ miles, going strong...what to buy next? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/ill-damned-re-11s-12-000-miles-going-strong-what-buy-next-544443/)

MRGTX 8/9/17 04:01 AM

I'll be damned. RE-11s with 12,000+ miles, going strong...what to buy next?

1 Attachment(s)
I really thought that my 285/35/19 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s would be toast by now, especially with how I've treated them; occasional smoky burnouts, constant hard cornering (every time it's possible without risking someone else's safety), frequent threshold braking , etc...yet somehow, they're still legal. I have rotated them three times in that span which probably helped...but I'm still impressed. They're still decently sticky too (though probably not as amazing as they were when new).

What tire in this class (200 treadwear) would be a good replacement? Will anything last this long under such a strenuous existence?

Any tires to avoid in this class?

Attached pic is from when they were new...I'll see if I can find a more recent one...

wanted33 8/9/17 01:11 PM

The first Bridgestones I've owned are on my '13 F-150. At 32K miles they look like they'll go another 20K. I'm impressed.

MRGTX 8/10/17 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's good to hear...especially on a truck.

My surprise about the RE-11s is that they're basically a steeet legal autocross tire. Even the popular ultra performance MPSS has a higher treadwear rating.

I snapped this pic yesterday....depth is quite a bit above the 2/32" required by law. The tire pictured here has spent half of its life on the rear.

5.M0NSTER 8/10/17 02:10 PM

If you like the stickiness you could try the RE-71R.

But it if you like the tire and it's wearing well I'd just stick with it.

I was was pretty pleased with Potenza S04s I had before. Not as sticky as the RE series though. I'm on hankook Ventura RS3 now, and I like it. RS4 is out now, but still pricey.

MRGTX 8/14/17 11:11 AM

It's hard to remember the "if it ain't broke..." idea when you're constantly looking for the latest and greatest...but yeah, I've been very happy with them.

I've had good luck with Hankooks but on a very different kind of car...nice to hear that they work well here too.

Bert 8/23/17 11:54 AM

I have heard real good things about the RE-71R's also . . . but haven't actually tried them myself, yet.

I mainly wanted to comment that: it is great to hear someone happy that they got more than 10,000 miles out of a 200 tread-wear tire; instead of the usual griping that they only got 20,000 . . . LOL

5.M0NSTER 8/23/17 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 7019323)
I have heard real good things about the RE-71R's also . . . but haven't actually tried them myself, yet.

I mainly wanted to comment that: it is great to hear someone happy that they got more than 10,000 miles out of a 200 tread-wear tire; instead of the usual griping that they only got 20,000 . . . LOL

hahaha, good point. Smart customers know what they are signing up for

Laurie J. Ward 8/27/17 01:55 AM

Hi--1st time here. 2016 gt 5.0 pp manual

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7019324)
hahaha, good point. Smart customers know what they are signing up for

i thought I was being a smart customer when I got "BB" as in Black Beauty, with pirellis (sp). Ack. I'm at 11k and need new rear tires. Yea sure I like to take off and stop fast but no smoke no chirping. Is this normal?

Mustang Freak 8/27/17 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Laurie J. Ward
i thought I was being a smart customer when I got "BB" as in Black Beauty, with pirellis (sp). Ack. I'm at 11k and need new rear tires. Yea sure I like to take off and stop fast but no smoke no chirping. Is this normal?

Yep Pirellis suck!

EF1 8/27/17 07:15 AM

Maybe I am the exception, but I didn't find the Pirelli P-Zero's that bad for a 220 tread wear tire. The handling was actually pretty good even in the rain until they were over half worn, after that they started to hydroplane a little. I also got around 25k miles out of them with proper rotation. If you are looking for long life buy a harder compound, but expect to lose some grip. There is always a trade off between long life and traction.

5.M0NSTER 8/27/17 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Laurie J. Ward (Post 7019455)

I made it about 23k on mine, but the grip dropped drastically at ~12k. I was expecting to need new tires at 15k, and i just pushed it till the wear bars and came to terms with less grip.

If you're looking for a slightly longer life tire which will maintain grip well into the last 20% of the thread i'd recommend Bridgestone Potenza S04 pole position. I used it as a road racing tire for 3 years.Thread wear is 280 and they grip well until the thread falls off.

Bert 8/28/17 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Laurie J. Ward (Post 7019455)

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak (Post 7019456)
Yep Pirellis suck!

yep, now that's more like it, LOL!

Isn't 10,000 about par for a 200-ish tread wear tire?

TheReaper 8/30/17 09:10 PM

I just rolled 16 k hard earned miles on my Pilot SS with not much wear, I see another set
in my future if I don't trade my car.