2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I drove a V6 2011 with a glass roof today

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/10, 03:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have lower back issues and as far as I can tell, the Mustang ride is every bit as good as the Fusion was, and it's not much harder to get in and out of.
Old 5/6/10, 04:58 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest with you, the seats in my 2008 are very comfortable for long rides now. I'm sure the 2011 would be even better given the extra ride smoothness. It's something about the way the Mustang seats tilt you back in the seat a little that makes it more comfy than other cars/trucks. I know some of you are going to think this is silly but, I go to the extreme to try to make my car as good a ride as possible. So, I have about 80-100 lbs of patio blocks in my trunk, covered by a piece of carpet. It makes the car way smoother on bumps. I also tried to find the smoothest/quietest tires available for the car. After much reading on tirerack.com I chose the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred tires. They were way quieter and smoother riding than the stock tires that came with the car. I also painted on sound deadening paste/paint from a site named quietcar.net in the wheel wells and under the back seat and back seat side walls and trunk. All that has made a big difference.

After all that, the 2011 still was smoother & quieter than mine. If you put some weight in the trunk and put those Comfortreds on the 2011, you'd have a luxury ride for sure. That's what I would do because that's what matters most to me. A good ride.
Old 5/6/10, 08:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by iBookmaster
The glass roof was my main reason for the visit to the dealer. I want to install one from Classic Design Concepts on my 2008. I was concerned that it would be too bright all the time. It was a sunny day here today and it wasn't too bright for me. The only time it might be a little bothersome is when I'm facing the sun and the sun is in the far front drivers side showing through the glass roof. It is really neat and the factory glass roof has a mesh slider that shuts off almost all of the light from the glass roof.

If the glass roof that I get from Classic Design Concepts ends up being a little too bright for me, I can always install another layer of tint on the inside of the glass to lower the brightness. But, I don't think I'll need it.
Make sure you check pictures of cars that have had the aftermarket CDC glass roof conversion performed on them. I was going to go this route with my 2011 too, because I really wanted the glass roof badly, but didn't want to pay for the Premium package (which meant paying for a bunch of stuff I didn't want or care about) in order to get one from the factory. After visiting the websites of several vendors who perform the conversions and viewing the photos, I came away disappointed. The CDC conversion roof just doesn't look nearly as good as the factory piece. There is a noticeable "step" where the roof meets the rear window, so it totally loses the sleek continuous "hood-to-deck lid" effect seen on the factory offering, nor does it have the retractable shade. This is curious, as I was under the impression that CDC did the factory roofs too.
Old 5/6/10, 12:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AusTXMCA
Sounds good! I am definitely getting the glass roof now, as what you said above was my main concern. I want to be able to shut out at least 90% of the sunlight when it is high noon. Texas sun can bake you fast!
I'm in Georgia and I really like mine. I was skeptical at first but I'm so glad I got it. I just shut the screen during the day and I don't think it gets any hotter than my 07 did.
Old 5/6/10, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by IguanaKeepr
I'm in Georgia and I really like mine. I was skeptical at first but I'm so glad I got it. I just shut the screen during the day and I don't think it gets any hotter than my 07 did.
I'm anxious to get that baby on order! I am going to see a MCA edition 6'er tonight, because I am hesitant to order anything without seeing it first, but I know that the glass roof is a definite! I think it will definitely give the car a whole different feel
Old 5/6/10, 01:24 PM
GT Member

I'm excited to get mine installed too AusTXMCA. After the test drive yesterday, it confirmed that the glass roof did make the car way brighter than a hard top but, not so much that it is annoying. I would put my hand where sun shines through the front windshield, then put it where the glass roof sun was shining through. It's much more tinted through the glass roof so I'm hoping the extra sun won't drain me as if I were sitting in a convertible and getting sunburn. I would think it's going to be much brighter even on cloudy/rainy days too. Lightning flashes should be a trip with the glass roof too!