2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

HTC EVO and SYNC diconnecting.

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/11, 04:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTC EVO and SYNC diconnecting.

I keep having this problem with my cell phone disconnecting

start the car.. pairs up fine.. get to the end of the street.. it disconects..
reconnect through the the on screen, it will stay connected then disconnect about 5-10 min later anyone have this issue?

i've repaired the phone and did a system reset. i had a BlackBerry connected prior and it never did this, also removed the black berry pairing.
this is leading me to believe its something in the settings in the phone..

Old 3/5/11, 06:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My phone has done this a handful of times in the Mustang recently (past couple weeks)... no issues for the previous year. The SYNC in my Taurus has become entirely unreliable/unpredictable... both phone and media. Never know which phone, if either, will pair up... and then it may or not stay on. And the music may or may not play and the steering wheel controls may or may not work.

I don't think it's the phone.
Old 3/5/11, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

well on a side note.. while doing a syncmyride update.. i was playing with Pandora, next thing i know it was streaming through bluetooth in the car.. i thought that wasnt possible?! i was told i had to use the line output -> input on car
Old 3/5/11, 02:56 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I noticed my cell phone disconnected several times a couple weeks ago. Seems to have cleared up and working fine now.
Old 3/5/11, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by pony racer
I keep having this problem with my cell phone disconnecting

reconnect through the the on screen, it will stay connected then disconnect about 5-10 min later anyone have this issue?

i've repaired the phone and did a system reset. i had a BlackBerry connected prior and it never did this, also removed the black berry pairing.
this is leading me to believe its something in the settings in the phone..

When this happened with my EVO 4G it was the phone. I had to do a factory reset and reconfigure everything.
Old 3/6/11, 09:51 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pony racer
Is your WiFi on? I had the exact same issue you're having, but only when the WiFi was on. When the WiFi is off, no problem.

Now I turn off the WiFi before going into the car (which also extends battery life, since it's hard getting steady WiFi signals as you're driving).

IF your WiFi is on, try turning it off before getting in your car and see if that solves the issue.
Old 3/6/11, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Make sure u don't have any app killers installed I would think that would disconnect u from sync
Old 3/6/11, 11:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
When this happened with my EVO 4G it was the phone. I had to do a factory reset and reconfigure everything.
My problem is intermittent. Never changed anything on either the phone(s) or SYNC(s).
Old 3/6/11, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remove and then pair your phone with sync. Do not select to have your phonebook contacts uploaded automatically. Instead choose to do so manually. As you add new entries into your phone you will need to manually upload/update SYNC by following the same steps as pairing the phone.
Old 3/6/11, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bought a new phone.How do you go about removing the old phone from sync & add new one?
Old 3/7/11, 03:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by knk11stang
Just bought a new phone.How do you go about removing the old phone from sync & add new one?
go to the phone page.. click on your phone.. then click delete...

thats the electronics package..

on Non EP... NO CLUE
Old 3/7/11, 04:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
Remove and then pair your phone with sync. Do not select to have your phonebook contacts uploaded automatically. Instead choose to do so manually. As you add new entries into your phone you will need to manually upload/update SYNC by following the same steps as pairing the phone.
So in other words.... SYNC isn't functioning as advertised.
Old 3/7/11, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
So in other words.... SYNC isn't functioning as advertised.

In this case it is not SYNC. It is the phone manufacturers. I will not go into detail. If you need proof or more info use the search feature or google some Blue Tooth technical terminology.

Do not auto upload phone book contacts........simple!! Manually upload your contacts.
Old 3/7/11, 05:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

In this case it is not SYNC. It is the phone manufacturers. I will not go into detail. If you need proof or more info use the search feature or google some Blue Tooth technical terminology.

Do not auto upload phone book contacts........simple!! Manually upload your contacts.
But it's SUPPOSED to be able to upload the phone book. Doesn't really matter whether it's phone manufacturers doing something or not... Ford needs to issue a patch to make it work as designed... or take the option away. I really don't care one way or the other, but it irks me that it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. <shrug>
Old 3/7/11, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
But it's SUPPOSED to be able to upload the phone book. Doesn't really matter whether it's phone manufacturers doing something or not... Ford needs to issue a patch to make it work as designed... or take the option away. I really don't care one way or the other, but it irks me that it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. <shrug>
I have worked with SYNC in many vehicles and even with some system engineers on development/testing as they will soon integrate the technology here in the European vehicles. I have given many presentations for potential customers to help my friend who sells new Ford cars here in Europe. I have also helped many owners with problems including some of his customers. I think I know the SYNC technology and it's features quite well. I have many phones and access to virtually any new phone on the market for testing compatability with SYNC (hobby) as well as for my job (professionally). I have taken the time to evaluate the devices because I do enjoy new electronic toys and gadgets. I have made great friends with 2 mobile phone re-sellers and established a great business relationship with them to have this flexibility. They benefit from my research, I send them customers and do half of their work. In return I get ANY phone I want for as long as I need. I am also a purchase card holder for the US Government and an electronics technician. We buy many phones and I negotiate data plans and field test every device. It is a good chance I know more than the average phone user and SYNC user. I do not know everything but I try to help when I can.

OK...let me clarify regarding the SYNC issue. All of your phone book contacts does upload. Sync doesn't have the problem. The phones also do not have any faults or problems. There are some BLUETOOTH protocols that come into play if you choose to continuously upload automatically phone book contacts (varies phone model to model and intermittently) where it may disconnect to it's paired devices to perform the function.

Bluetooth is a very open and innovative technology. Ford's SYNC and the automotive industry as a whole has taken advantage of this and has integrated BLUETOOTH within most new cars today. Sync in particular is also a innovative and open platform. The Bluetooth connectivity SYNC offers exceeds far beyond what most phone manufacturers offer. The phone manufacturers also have not reached their full potential of offering capabilities to match the features such as the text SMS over Bluetooth connectivity.

In the mean time to help resolve an issue (not from SYNC and not from the device) just say "NO" when it asks to auto upload phone book contacts. You do not have to MANUALY upload contacts individually, Sync however will not AUTO update the stored contact list. It still uploads the contacts in the same manner wheather you choose auto upload or not.

Sorry for the long post. I tried to answer with a one liner. In the end I hope this helps the original poster and anyone else with the issue. It can be frustrating.

Last edited by eurocobra; 3/8/11 at 09:13 AM.
Old 3/8/11, 04:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes a little more sense now.
Old 3/8/11, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just want to point out that I've been running into the same problem with my HTC Evo and my '12 GT. I finally solved it by installing CyanogenMod 6.1.2. Now the phonebook works correctly, and I can make calls as I should be able to.

So it's not sync. It is definitely the phone. At least, that's my experience.
Old 3/9/11, 01:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Just want to point out that I've been running into the same problem with my HTC Evo and my '12 GT. I finally solved it by installing CyanogenMod 6.1.2. Now the phonebook works correctly, and I can make calls as I should be able to.

So it's not sync. It is definitely the phone. At least, that's my experience.

Thanks for sharing more info. What is the mod and how is it accessed? How easy was it to install? This fix may address a Bluetooth specific protocol for that particular model phone. Other phones may have similar issues and the phone manufacturers should step up with patches like HTC.
Old 3/9/11, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for sharing more info. What is the mod and how is it accessed? How easy was it to install? This fix may address a Bluetooth specific protocol for that particular model phone. Other phones may have similar issues and the phone manufacturers should step up with patches like HTC.
This would requires you to root your phone.

My EVO is rooted but I haven't installed any custom ROMs on it yet. I just rooted it so I could use the free wireless tether.

I don't use my EVO much with my sync system. But when I do it works fine I believe.
Old 3/9/11, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you have a rooted phone, you need to purchase ROM Manager. It's well worth the ~$5 price, as it completely automates the backup/wiping/loading process for new roms. You can even download CY 6.1.2 OTA and never have to hook it up to your computer.

CY takes a bit of getting used to... and you will be wiping the phone so contact backups are important, but its bluetooth works, and that's really all that matters to me.