2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

How many Driving your GT all winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/10, 10:51 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cdvision
Thanks!! GT500's make good winter beaters. lol We should grab a coffee sometime if you're out this way.
I met a guy with a Grabber Blue w/red stripes 2010 GT500 while I was out driving around in Kits today. My car makes crazy power in this cool weather, punched it in 3rd and pulled 4th at 6000 rpm and the rear tires broke loose like mad!!
Definitely, would love to see your GT500 sometime!
Old 11/20/10, 08:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may be old news, but my 2c wrt TPMS:
-After my winter wheels with NO TPMS were installed, my car took 24 hours to respond with the dash light and warning message. The message can be cleared by pressing the setup and reset buttons.
-After a few days, my car gave up with the idiot light and the warning message.
Old 11/20/10, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Agent
-After a few days, my car gave up with the idiot light and the warning message.
Let me get this straight, the TPMS just gave up and no longer gives you any dash lights or warning messages? I haven't heard of that before. Interesting. Every other car I know of gives the constant idiot light with some owners resorting to a piece of electrical tape on the dash to keep it out of line of sight.

That's great news. Thanks...ned.
Old 11/20/10, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Yes, exactly. I didn't notice how long it took, but less than a week for sure.
Old 11/20/10, 06:47 PM
GT Member

I drove my C6 Vette with summer performance Eagles for the last 4 winters, including in light snow, so my GT 5.0 with the all-season Pirellis should be a piece of cake. Got a 4wd Escape if it gets really bad.
Old 11/20/10, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Drove my '06 GT for 2 winters in OH & a few trips to western PA. Winter tires & a few bags of tubesand in the trunk. Car did fine, even with the PA hills.
Past 2 winters have a winter beater, 94 Continental.
Point is, the Mustang is fine in snow. Just have to know how to drive a RWD car in the winter.
Old 11/21/10, 12:34 AM
GT Member

yeah I have the pp and Im scared! think I might need to change tires :/ but we don't get much maybe 1-2 snows.................... what yall think>!>!>?!?!??!
Old 11/21/10, 02:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
OK, mines an '05, but this is as much snow as my baby will see

It's not just the traction issue (as my daily driver BMW 5-Series isn't exactly brilliant in the snow either!) but my Mustang is a keeper and I want to keep her looking her best for years to come!

Last edited by Twin Turbo; 11/21/10 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11/21/10, 08:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cornezy
yeah I have the pp and Im scared! think I might need to change tires :/ but we don't get much maybe 1-2 snows.................... what yall think>!>!>?!?!??!
FWIW, I drove a small coupe on performance tires here in the mountain west for a couple of winters, and my only problem was getting stuck in my own driveway coming home in a big snow.

I then drove my next car on all season Michelins in this area for 11 winters. There were some tense moments, but thankfully no wrecks. When I sold it, there were a handful of pinpoint rust spots on the body, some rock chips, and the alloy wheels were splotchy.

Now, with the Mustang, I've put on a clear bra, fully-painted winter wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60's. I'm counting on help from the traction and stability systems. I'm also counting on my 13 years of driving experience in my particular climate. I will carry a full winter kit including tire cables/chains, traction ramps, etc. I also plan to wash it regularly. Fingers crossed, I'll have a safe winter ride and won't have to resort to driving my 4WD truck.
Old 11/22/10, 12:57 PM
GT Member

Will be driving mine all year, EXCEPT when snow/ice/salt on the roads..........

but then, it seldom goes out in the rain (05 was in rain once in 4 1/2 yrs)

FWIW=
If I was to have to drive it year-round, would put Blizzaks on it, that's what
I ran on the turbo Buicks I drive for 18 yrs...............
Old 11/22/10, 02:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent
FWIW, I drove a small coupe on performance tires here in the mountain west for a couple of winters, and my only problem was getting stuck in my own driveway coming home in a big snow.

Note -- "Performance Tires" are not the same thing as "Summer Only Tires." The Performance Pack car has "Summer Only Tires" which means exactly what it says. The rubber compound in these tires is not good for low temperatures; it gets hard and gives very little traction on pavement, never mind snow or ice.

If you are going to drive a PP car in the winter, you definitely want some winter tires.

Last edited by Bert; 11/22/10 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11/23/10, 07:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Note -- "Performance Tires" are not the same thing as "Summer Only Tires."
Good point! Mine were probably all season tires.

So... took my first snow drive in my Mustang yesterday morning. Some observations:
  1. The first real snow of the season, before the plows have gone out, MIGHT not be the best time to drive your brand new $$$ beauty.
  2. I can't say my snow tires give me that confidence-inspiring stuck-to-the-road sensation, at least not yet.
  3. What traction/stability control? Are ya gonna kick in anytime soon? Since we just got passed by our rear end going around that corner?! (OK, that part was actually fun)
  4. Braking was the most predictable part of the experience, which leads me to the following story:
While I was out, a dude in a red 370Z overtook me and passed me in the curb lane. Just as I was wondering what his winter setup was, that he could go so much faster than me, the light changed to red and Mr. 370Z slid spinning toward the back end of a 4WD minivan in front of me. Amazingly, he did not hit anyone, but he ended up facing me in my lane between the minivan and me. After he got himself turned around, I suspect he may have gone straight home to change clothes.