The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   How to get 5mpg and most fpg possible (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/how-get-5mpg-most-fpg-possible-545731/)

5.M0NSTER 6/13/18 09:16 PM

How to get 5mpg and most fpg possible

(fun per gallon) You drive fast and take chances and don't let a newer SS Camaro escape!

Mustang Freak 6/14/18 12:23 AM

Very nice indeed! I am way too competitive to ever try that! I'd sink my life savings into trying to gain 10ths of a second at a time. :shame: :yup:

5.M0NSTER 6/14/18 03:15 PM

Thanks man! You are onto something. It is a huge, deep rabbit whole, and not cheap at all. At this point I'm done with the huge mods (brakes, suspension etc). But I do have an annual budget for tires and brakes.

I typically focus on shaving 3/10s here and there, but yesterday I went in thinking 1:45s for a lap time, and by the 3rd session I was down to 1:43s. Then ran 1:44s the rest of the day. This never happens. I was happy.

Boiled diff fluid and had it piss out the axle tubes, the brake pads on the left side of the car evaporated and only had 3mm left by the end of the day, tires looked like ground beef by late afternoon, but I had a great lap time to go into the books. Good stuff. Will post some pics later.

woody24 6/14/18 03:38 PM

I've always wanted to take my car to a real track day. But knew that I'd have to make some upgrades because pushing a stock suspension and tires car on a track just wouldn't end well for me.

But I did attend some autocross events at our local SCCA meets. That was a blast! And funny about MPG. I would get 27-29 on the highway drive there. But reset it for one lap, and got 3.9.

So much fun!

But it's the hard brakes like what the Camaro did on the first bend that would just terrify me. But man, I'd love to try a real track, just not in my car. ;)

5.M0NSTER 6/14/18 04:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thankfully those hard brakes are not so scary from the drivers seat as long as you have balls of steel :D

Autocross is a great way to work out way up in speed and get an understanding for vehicle dynamics and tire behavior. I would totally recommend doing that first before going on a fast road racing track. That first corner speed is roughly 80mph, dipping to 77mph mid corner, and powering out of there by the time you hit yellow outside curbing at nearly 90mph. :heh: fun times as long as the tires are up to it!

Here are a few pics I promised.

P.S. 2 weeks ago I finally put on a oil separator. Then I did Mid Ohio twice since then. I checked my catch can, and it was 50% full!! Crazy the amount of blow by in these cars when you're hooning!

EF1 6/14/18 08:21 PM

I must be doing something wrong, I got 7 mpg at CMP last month. Great driving as usual. I will live vicariously through your videos until I go to Barber next month. Also, it sounds like you are in need of a catch can for the rear diff. Look at the one from Bob's Autosports. It is well made and mounts in stock holes.

Bert 6/15/18 07:14 AM

yeah apparently I am doing something wrong too, the best MPG I ever got was about 7

5.M0NSTER 6/15/18 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by EF1 (Post 7031141)
I must be doing something wrong, I got 7 mpg at CMP last month. Great driving as usual. I will live vicariously through your videos until I go to Barber next month. Also, it sounds like you are in need of a catch can for the rear diff. Look at the one from Bob's Autosports. It is well made and mounts in stock holes.

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good idea, I didn't even know they made them!

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 7031159)
yeah apparently I am doing something wrong too, the best MPG I ever got was about 7

I was thinking about why I've been overheating coolant this year, and I think it's because I really push the car now. I'm on the throttle a lot more and a lot harder than when I started doing this a few years ago. With grippier tires and better line I'm full WOT at the apexes. I have to apply more throttle to even maintain speed through corners because the sticky tires scrub so much speed from high rolling resistance. My lap times now are now ~10s faster than when I started, and my lateral Gs are higher too. So I'm definitely working the car a lot harder now. :dunno:

woody24 6/17/18 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7031135)
Autocross is a great way to work out way up in speed and get an understanding for vehicle dynamics and tire behavior.

Exactly what I found out. I learned a lot about my car in 0-30/40mph. Even did one race during the rain. I quickly found the breaking point of too much power to turning radius. And the lack of steering while braking. It was a blast.

Need to go to anther one once my new '17 gets a little more broken in so that I can figure out some of it's limits.

EF1 6/17/18 12:53 PM

Here is a link to the rear axle reservoir that I have on my 2011.

https://bobsmachine.com/product/must...voir-kr-style/

SilrBult 6/19/18 10:16 AM

Nice driving. Mid Ohio is a really demanding track. I am not surprised that your catch can was half full. With two camshafts per head, four valves per cylinder and roller followers for each valve you've got a lot of "stuff '' moving around. Once the rpm's come up it's like sticking an electric mixer in a bowl of oil. The oil gets aerated pretty quickly and sucked into the PVC system. Just think of where that oil would be going without the catch can. I use a Bob's catch can on my engine and if their differential system is comparable and I would think it would be, it will be hard to beat. IMO Bob's design is excellent and so are the materials. The overheating isn't surprising. You're driving hard enough to exceed the limitations of the oil to water oil cooler used on your track pack car. It may be time to invest in a real cooler, ie. oil to air. Easy for me to say, it's not my money I am spending.

5.M0NSTER 6/20/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SilrBult (Post 7031326)
Nice driving. Mid Ohio is a really demanding track. I am not surprised that your catch can was half full. With two camshafts per head, four valves per cylinder and roller followers for each valve you've got a lot of "stuff '' moving around. Once the rpm's come up it's like sticking an electric mixer in a bowl of oil. The oil gets aerated pretty quickly and sucked into the PVC system. Just think of where that oil would be going without the catch can. I use a Bob's catch can on my engine and if their differential system is comparable and I would think it would be, it will be hard to beat. IMO Bob's design is excellent and so are the materials. The overheating isn't surprising. You're driving hard enough to exceed the limitations of the oil to water oil cooler used on your track pack car. It may be time to invest in a real cooler, ie. oil to air. Easy for me to say, it's not my money I am spending.

I think your evaluation is spot on. And if I were planning to hold on to the car I would most certainly consider adding an oil to air cooler in parallel to the oil to water. But some big things at work are happening at the moment, and all my plans might be shifting here over the next weeks. I’ll post a separate thread as I count on community support here in an interesting twist.