2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

How to fix swirls on brand new car?

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/10, 07:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. After the holidays I will try to find some other detailers or a shop and see what they say. Right now I am just glad that they did not touch my car (except for the test they performed).

If anyone knows a good and trustworthy detailer in the GTA I would appreciate any info. I tried to find some but could not get much information on-line.

Originally Posted by Overboost
The detailer you spoke with is a hack then. Chances are, if there are no deep scratches and only minor swirling, a good detailer with a dual action or rotary polisher could use M205 and a black pad (detailing lingo) and remove them.

I'd head over to Autopia and see if there are any detailers in your area, then based on replies, check out their work on the site.

Pictures of the swirls would help tremendously.
I actually spent quite some time on Autopia and other web sites. That's why I am so skeptical about what the detailer told me. It just doesn't sound right to me that they would attack the problem with a hammer.

The detailer I went to was recommended on some other forum. I tried to use Autopia's detailer search but it did not work (not found errors, which was surprising).

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
The swirls you are describing are most likely caused by the assembly plant that was fixing a minor paint imperfection. They use a small polisher and compound to do this. It's usually a speck of dirt or paint run that is polished out. The swirls are more noticeable under certain lights and angles. I would try using a good name brand wax on it first which usually takes care of the problem. If not, go to a very good detail shop that knows how to properly use a polisher.
The swirls are all over the car, though. It most definitely is because of the dealer washing the car before delivery.
Old 12/23/10, 07:35 PM
GT Member

Im imagining exactly what your car looks like and its a shame you dont live in FL. I could probably make quick work of the swirls on your car.Good luck in your search for a detailer
Old 12/23/10, 07:39 PM
V6 Member

A few days ago I found this thread (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=183361) about some dealer in the UK ruining a car in a similar fashion. However, that guy's car is way worse than mine. Also, my swirls don't seem to be as close together.
Old 12/23/10, 08:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

I also specifically asked the dealership not to wash or prep the car in any way. Receive it, park it and wait for me to pick it up. I inspected it and drove it back 400 miles. To answer the OP question, i would first bring it back to the dealership and take it from there. All it probably needs is just a small 2000grit wet sansding and a buff. These swirls will usually go away with above method. Good luck.
Old 12/23/10, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had this very same issue when I got my car. I tried all kinds of things but only found one solution that actually removed the swirls. I used Farecla and an orbital buffer.

Original Thread
Attached Thumbnails How to fix swirls on brand new car?-farecla.jpg  
Old 12/26/10, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

Finally some sunshine around here. However, the sun was pretty low and it was difficult to get a good shot. But here are some pictures anyway.

I also found a guy who specializes in car detailing. He posted a few write-ups of jobs he did. His work looks pretty good and he is going to take a look on Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails How to fix swirls on brand new car?-swirls1.jpg   How to fix swirls on brand new car?-swirls2.jpg   How to fix swirls on brand new car?-swirls3.jpg  
Old 12/27/10, 07:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
That is ugly
Old 12/27/10, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a dual action polisher; it'll take care of it, but not as "perfect" as taking it to a professional to level the paint.

Also, be particular with the detailer you choose. You have swirl marks now, but if you think that looks bad; hope your detailer doesn't leave holograms...

Try browsing detailingbliss com for more info? (I haven't been on there for a while actually...)

I used a crappy rotary w/ ultimate compound...

Last edited by chutoyy; 12/27/10 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12/27/10, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dam that came out nice. To the OP, that just plain sucks. I can't believe a dealership would actually deliver a car in this condition. Good luck and can't wait to see pics of the finished product.
Old 12/28/10, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bro,

When you buy a car, the first thing you should tell them: 'If you buff my car, that's a deal breaker'. They won't touch it. Infact, don't let them even clean it. Ppl have this really stupid idea about buffing. NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUFF YOUR CAR, buffers are the devil
Old 12/28/10, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

Today I met a detailer who was highly recommended. He did a short test on my car using a very non-aggressive polish. It got rid of most of the swirls already. I will drop it off in a couple of weeks and post the results.
Old 12/28/10, 09:31 PM

If you want to do it yourself, you will have to do a little research. Ive ordered all of my detailing products from autogeek.net because of the instructional videos and support they provide if you are a beginner or advanced detailer. You do not need to spend 100+ at a detailer if you are willing to put a little elbow grease into it. After learning I find myself looking at random cars thinking... i could fix that.
http://www.autogeek.net/auto-detaili...ce-center.html

here is a link to help you understand the process and how detailed the detailing process can become, if you are a professional. Im just guessing but this type of work costs close to what a cheap new paint job would cost.
http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...07-shelby.html

Good luck!
Old 12/28/10, 10:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 11stgGT
here is a link to help you understand the process and how detailed the detailing process can become, if you are a professional. Im just guessing but this type of work costs close to what a cheap new paint job would cost.
http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...07-shelby.html
Geez, did that guy clean his car with steel wool?
Old 12/29/10, 09:27 AM

To the OP: As you have figured out, your car has been molested by a dealership hack who doesn't know how to use a high speed polisher. Wet sanding swirl marks is the absolute most ignorant way to fix this problem. You are on the right track looking for a reputable detailer in your area.

As someone previously mentioned, a local body shop is an option but I can tell you not all of them are going to employ great buffers/polishers. IMO if you go the BS route, find a local auto body supply store, drop in and ask who they think the best buffer/polisher is in the local body shops. They will know as the biggest post-painting issue any body shop has is permanently removing swirl marks.

If you have ever been in the buffing/polishing side of a body shop 99 out of 100 will have all kinds of brands of compounds, polishes and "swirl removers" because they are all chasing that one ultimate product that is fast, easy and permanently removes swirls. While some products are much better than others, it's generally the guy holding the high speed buffer who is the problem. Just like the moron who screwed your car up at the dealership.

While a few have recommended buying products and high speed buffing it yourself, you would be crazy to practice and learn on a ~$35K new car. I've painted and wet sanded and buffed a couple hundred cars in my day and while I now find it simple but tedious, it's usually not for beginners with new cars.

That said, after you take your car somewhere and you believe it's "fixed", wash a previously swirled panel a few good times with Dawn dish soap. Just as it removes petroleum distillate waxes which produce fake gloss, it removes petroleum distillate polishes and "swirl removers" which hide/fill swirl marks. If after a few washings with Dawn you no longer have swirl marks, your problem was obviously corrected. If not....

Another way body shops test for swirl mark removal is wiping a polished panel (using a clean microfiber cloth) with a mineral spirits based wax and grease remover, but chances are you don't have that out in the garage.

Good luck! Swirls suck especially on a new car and I would make the dealer reimburse you for every penny of this fix.
Old 12/29/10, 06:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by I'd rather be flying
While a few have recommended buying products and high speed buffing it yourself, you would be crazy to practice and learn on a ~$35K new car. I've painted and wet sanded and buffed a couple hundred cars in my day and while I now find it simple but tedious, it's usually not for beginners with new cars.
I definitely won't try to fix the car myself. It is not worth it. I'd rather live with the swirls than screwing it up even more. However, I think I have found a guy who knows what he is doing. I watched him doing a test on my car.
Old 12/30/10, 03:34 AM
Cobra R Member

and your sending the bill for the work to dealership...yes?

before you get job done,take it into dealership and explain what and where you want it detailed...make them pay in full!!!
Old 12/30/10, 06:14 AM
GT Member

That sucks man, when I bought mine every panel had scratches and swirls on it. I used compound and quixx scratch remover and got most out. I was upset because a new car should be just that new. Hope it all works out.