The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Help with replacement tire options for Brembo Package (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/help-replacement-tire-options-brembo-package-488057/)

1969 Boss429 10/4/10 09:29 AM

Help with replacement tire options for Brembo Package

I have had my Mustang now for not quite 8 weeks and have had 1 nail and 1 screw in the past 2 weeks. These sticky tires seem to pick up everything off the road. I have not been driving in hazardous areas. The first one was patchable and the latest happened over the weekend and is not patchable per the Ford dealership and several local tire shops. It is a screw on the crown of the tire apparently too close to the sidewall. The first tire was the back right and was successfully patched. This one is the front left.

So, I am exploring my options. I have called 5 places and the price to replace 1 freaking tire installed ranges from $405 to $505! Absolutely nuts for me. The car has 2680 miles so I am not ready nor can I afford to replace all the tires at this moment. I got the screw in the tire on Saturday and so far have not lost any tire pressure. I wanted to get everyone's opinion as to what to do.

I am thinking my options are:
- A: Leave the screw in and drive it for as long as it will last. I don't know if this is detrimental or risky.
- B: Remove the screw and hope that it hasn't penetrated the wall of the tire. I don't know if the chances are remotely good that it hasn't but I have not lost any tire pressure thus far. However once you remove the screw you are pregnant so I would be forced to buy a new tire if it did go all the way through.
- C: Replace the tire with a different manufacturer and leave the others as Pirelli P-Zeros. I do not have experience with doing this. One of the local tire shops has a special on Yokohama AVS sports for $180 installed. Any other tire suggestions? Any negatives with 3 of the same and 1 different? Hell I could buy 2 of these or probably 2 of the Hankooks for the price of 1 P-zero.
- D: Bend over and pay the absurd price for one tire. I don't plan on buying these tires again and from what I have read it sounds like they could last as little as 10,000 miles. I was hoping for more.

I never planned on buying these tires again as I knew they would be outrageous. I was hoping to get 2 years out of them and then find a good replacement tire such as the Hankooks V12. I seem to be snake bit with the Brembo package thus far. Ford already replaced all 4 wheels as they were delivered from the factory with blotches on the finish (Looked like permanent brake dust).

Sorry for rambling. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Modshack 10/4/10 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 1969 Boss429 (Post 5956369)

I am thinking my options are:
- A: Leave the screw in and drive it for as long as it will last. I don't know if this is detrimental or risky.
- B: Remove the screw and hope that it hasn't penetrated the wall of the tire. I don't know if the chances are remotely good that it hasn't but I have not lost any tire pressure thus far. However once you remove the screw you are pregnant so I would be forced to buy a new tire if it did go all the way through.
- C: Replace the tire with a different manufacturer and leave the others as Pirelli P-Zeros. I do not have experience with doing this. One of the local tire shops has a special on Yokohama AVS sports for $180 installed. Any other tire suggestions? Any negatives with 3 of the same and 1 different? Hell I could buy 2 of these or probably 2 of the Hankooks for the price of 1 P-zero.
- D: Bend over and pay the absurd price for one tire. I don't plan on buying these tires again and from what I have read it sounds like they could last as little as 10,000 miles. I was hoping for more.

Not a good plan to put a mismatched, single performance tire on the car. Different slip angles, traction and sidewall characteristics.

I and lots of friends run the Hankook V12's on other cars. Great tire, Great price. What I'll buy when the Pirelli's are toast.

I'd get a Dyna Plug set-up and then pull the screw. Plug yourself if necessary, but understand the risk you run. You're probably better off replacing the single tire with another P-Zero and running them until replacement time.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

2010MustangGT 10/4/10 10:29 AM

If it's just a nail you can patch it with out any problem.
I've had 2-3 tires done this way... $20.

Ministang 10/4/10 11:43 AM

I've plugged tires myself that had nails or screws close to the outer edge of the tread. I'd give this a try and move it to the rear. I've used the Dynaplug setup for years as well as the traditional more common plug kits, both with good success.

If you do decide to replace the tire, you might be able to get away with a pair of new, different tires on one end of the car and the original Pirelli P-Zeros on the other end, assuming the new tires are also a high performance summer only tire, but I'd advise you to go with a new set of four, and sell the two good remaining unplugged Pirellis to a fellow Brembo package car owner to offset the cost of the new tires. Some places like Discount Tire stores offer a trade-in allowance on good used tires, that may be an option for you as well.

Ltngdrvr 10/4/10 01:22 PM

If you haven't had the tire dismounted and inspected from the inside there is no way to know if it is repairable or not.

You don't want to keep driving it with the screw still in it, could end up causing a catastophic failure at highway speed and you sure don't want that.

Check it out before you give up and buy a new tire.

Kevindust 10/4/10 02:05 PM

Isn't there a road hazard warranty from Pirelli?

Edit: I guess not, it appears that manufactures don't offer that anymore? It seems an aweful shame to spend money on the Brembo option and then replace the tires with an inferior product...what was the point of getting the option in the first place?

SD CALSPCL 10/4/10 02:18 PM

Greg...sorry for the dumb question, but what size tire are you looking for? I checked tire rack and they have:

OE: 245-45-19 P-Zero All Season for $179.00

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

I have to assume your car came with a Summer only tire and they were $402.00 which is unacceptable. You might find it cheaper to replace all four tires and sell the three you have left over, here on the forum, or look for a take off replacement on the WEB.

Lancel 10/4/10 02:32 PM

Yeah, that price tag for one tire is just gouging you for money. At that price you'd be paying as much for a full set of Pirellis as you did for the entire Brembo Brake package. I'd say buy the tire yourself and get them to swap out the tire (or do it yourself, or find someone else, the service shouldn't cost you much), if you can't save the original. Might also take the opportunity to rotate the wheels from front to back too.

1969 Boss429 10/4/10 02:56 PM

Update:

I dodged a bullet. This was killing me so I drove around and got a 4th tire store's in person opinion and they patched it! Ltngdrvr was correct in that since it was so close you really needed to check from the inside. Turned out to be a very short screw angled away from the sidewall so they patched it and assured me I shouldn't have any problems with the patch. If they weren't able to patch it I decided the only way to be safe and get my money's worth out of all of the tires would be to buy the single. Luckily I didn't have to.

If you go to tire rack the tire is actually the 255 40ZR 19 which comes to $360 each + tax and shipping which would be $408 delivered and not installed. Pirelli does not have any kind of warranty on the tires as they are max performance. Before I went to another tire store I called all of the reputable stores around here (7 total) and the lowest price was $405 installed. I had several at $505 and (1) at $459.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&filterType=oe

These tires perform great but they are way over my budget. I am amazed at how sticky they are which obviously is causing them to pick up everything off of the road. I will probably be looking at the Hankook V12s or similar when the time comes. Thanks for all of the great input guys. I appreciate it.

Tony Alonso 10/4/10 02:59 PM

Whew! This is the one killer thing about the Brembo package option. I think we all need a tire sponsor! Congrats on NOT needing a replacement.

I would have suggested that you replace it one-for-one.

stangfoeva 10/4/10 03:01 PM

I say sell all 4 Pirellis now while they still have some tread, then use that money to buy some hankooks in case this happens again.

1969 Boss429 10/4/10 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva (Post 5956492)
I say sell all 4 Pirellis now while they still have some tread, then use that money to buy some hankooks in case this happens again.

That would be nice but how would you go about selling (4) used tires, (2) of which have patches in them? Not being a smartass I just don't have any experience with this. Craigslist?

I would definitely need to drive on them until I sell them as this is my only vehicle. 2690 miles now on probably 8,000-10,000 tread life.

stangfoeva 10/4/10 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1969 Boss429 (Post 5956496)
That would be nice but how would you go about selling (4) used tires, (2) of which have patches in them? Not being a smartass I just don't have any experience with this. Craigslist?

I would definitely need to drive on them until I sell them as this is my only vehicle. 2690 miles now on probably 8,000-10,000 tread life.

Because others might be looking for spares just in case something happens to them like what happened to you. A patched tire would be fine for someone to use as a spare. Not saying it would be easy to do but I think its doable. The major risk though would be you'd have to buy some tires now and then try to sell yours off. It might pay off and then again it might not.

Just tossin ideas out there

1969 Boss429 10/4/10 03:25 PM

10-4, thanks. Something to consider.

obofglob 10/4/10 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went with Hankook Ventus V12's on my 19" 2011 GT/CS rims. I really like the tire, quiet, nice ride, turn in etc. I got the best price from my local Ford dealer.

Lancel 10/4/10 03:40 PM

Yeah, okay, I just looked up this stuff myself, and now I'm wondering where we ever got that much lower price tag. These tires out of the box cost as much as the entire Brembo Brake Package.

****, Ford must have gotten a nice large order discount.

Ltngdrvr 10/4/10 03:58 PM

Something else to consider is if you have a Discount Tire ot NTB tire store close to you is to go there and see about buying a road hazard contract from them, could end up being cheap insurance for high dollar tires.

1969 Boss429 10/4/10 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by obofglob (Post 5956509)
I went with Hankook Ventus V12's on my 19" 2011 GT/CS rims. I really like the tire, quiet, nice ride, turn in etc. I got the best price from my local Ford dealer.

Very nice. Those wheels look great with your color car especially with the dark accents matching the dark accents on your car.

Originally Posted by Lancel (Post 5956516)
Yeah, okay, I just looked up this stuff myself, and now I'm wondering where we ever got that much lower price tag. These tires out of the box cost as much as the entire Brembo Brake Package.

****, Ford must have gotten a nice large order discount.

It is quite ridiculous. This is my first car so I never imagined the tires would be more expensive than my old Tundra tires.

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr (Post 5956520)
Something else to consider is if you have a Discount Tire ot NTB tire store close to you is to go there and see about buying a road hazard contract from them, could end up being cheap insurance for high dollar tires.

Good tip. I will definitely have to ask around. I have done that with factory A/T tires in the past with a local tire shop but don't know if they would do it for this kind of tire. I will definitely look into it. Thanks.

Drew2000 10/5/10 09:58 AM

Not to be a wise ***, but those who are shocked by the replacement $$$ cost of super-high performace summer tires should have done a bit of due-dilligence before checking off the option box for the shiny red Brembo's. The summer-only rating and the crazy tire cost is the main reason I chose (and very happy with) the 18"s.

Modshack 10/5/10 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Drew2000 (Post 5956930)
Not to be a wise ***, but those who are shocked by the replacement $$$ cost of super-high performace summer tires should have done a bit of due-dilligence before checking off the option box for the shiny red Brembo's. The summer-only rating and the crazy tire cost is the main reason I chose (and very happy with) the 18"s.

An Excellent choice if handling and grip is not high on your list. Your loss! (Oh, and the Brembo's are NOT red)