Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hand sanitizer vs center console help

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/17, 07:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand sanitizer vs center console help

So it appears that a drop of hand sanitizer landed on my center console and now the color is off , like it removed paint. I have tried all of the typical interior cleaners with no luck. I attempted to apply some cheap dark brushed vinyl, but was not happy with the look, and the fact that a small spot was causing me to tarp my interior. Short of painting I'm just about done with ideas.

Anyone else have a suggestion or experience to provide?
Old 6/29/17, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
The hand sanitizer will also mess up the butttons on the steering wheel. Also watch out for some of the liquid type car deodorizers that can leak. I had a car onetime after attaching to the vent outlet dripped and the paint was messed up.
Old 6/29/17, 08:45 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rub the hand sanitizer all over the console and it will all be the same color
Old 7/1/17, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It is gelled alcohol so, no surprise it attacked the finish. I looked around interior paint to find a vinyl dye spray that matched the console, so I could paint the door panel inserts another colour to break up the acres of black.

It wasn't too hard, there should be a good selection of interior paints at your local auto parts store, just get close and respray the thing.

Previous poster is correct hand sanitizer and hand creams, too will slowly dissolve the paint on the steering wheel buttons too.
Old 7/2/17, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's nuts that the finish is so delicate. I had a fox body that I replaced the center console and had to paint it to match the interior. I dropped hand sanitizer on that painted finish plenty of times, and it never discolored. I have a discoloration on my console in my 2011 that has been there since I got it. Probably was hand sanitizer as well.
Old 7/3/17, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
OP, check with one of local upholstery shops. One of them should be able to dye the spot. I had an ink mark on my previous C6 Vette that would not come out no matter what I tried, and a local guy was able to dye over it, and match the color perfectly. Good luck.
Old 8/5/17, 12:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update. Been playing around with some interior vinyl. Door trim is generally easy, but the center console is real tedious. Not sure if I'm gonna stick with it,
Old 8/5/17, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Are all interiors this vulnerable? Or is Mustang that fragile cheap? It would explain the bold spot I got on my premium leather seat - thought it was leather but it's really just a vinyl don't use leather conditioner.