Old 10/23/10, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another video please!!!
Old 10/23/10, 03:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kws6000
Where does it say specifically no drone in Any rpm range?
It doesn't call that out specifically, but that's an OEM quality requirement IIRC.
Old 10/23/10, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kws6000
Where does it say specifically no drone in Any rpm range?
Dragstart's post said "No Drone". Period. If there was a drone in a specific RPM range, he probably would have not said "No drone", but would have said "there's a drone in xxxx to xxxx rpm range, yada yada...". Or said "There's no drone EXCEPT at xxxx rpm." But NO, he simply said , "No drone."

Aside from the study of Logic above, I installed these on my car today and I am frankly not too happy. They don't drone because they aren't much louder than stock in my opinion; there just doesn't seem to be the acoustic energy there to cause a drone. No drone for me so far (mix of road & highway runs).

I don't hear much increase in sound at idle or under low-load, except for a significant boost in upper-bass/mid frequencies, like someone moved the slider on the equalizer band for 250 Hz all the way up. The sound seems too high-pitched to me to cause any drone at all. I was seeking a bit more thunder to be honest (more of a boost @ 100Hz or thereabouts, to use the equalizer analogy again).

Under WOT, there's maybe 25%-35% more volume, which is about right for me, but again there's no boost in bass, it's just a little more of the normal sound (described above).

Convertible owners: I did not find these easy to put on (passenger side 15 minutes, driver's side 2 hours). A brace that may be convertible specific (the one that runs between driver's side frame and passenger side panhard rod mount at frame) got in the way big time. If I'd had a lift or just put it high in the air to begin with it prob would have been easier, but the driver's side muffler was a beyatch to install for me.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 10/23/10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10/23/10, 08:20 PM
GTR Member

That stamped steel brace near the Panhard bar is on the coupe as well.
Old 10/23/10, 08:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
That stamped steel brace near the Panhard bar is on the coupe as well.
Then it's odd I had such a hard time with it and no one else has. Oh well...
Old 10/23/10, 08:47 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Then it's odd I had such a hard time with it and no one else has. Oh well...
I had to unbolt one side to install the Corsa system. It saved a lot of hassle fitting it through there.
Old 10/23/10, 09:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I had to unbolt one side to install the Corsa system. It saved a lot of hassle fitting it through there.
Yeah, your posting of the Corsa install guide over in the 5.0 Modifications forum was what I needed.

I always hate to take apart TOO much when installing anything. Experience has taught me that this minimizes risk of breaking things (things not related to what I was trying to do in the 1st place, like a panhard rod mount brace).
Old 10/23/10, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Aside from the study of Logic above, I installed these on my car today and I am frankly not too happy.
This is what I DIDN'T want to hear (Thanks for the honest opinion)

I don't want to spend money and not be happy with the sound. I think I agree with him with wanting more of the lower tones, but didn't want to do a cat back system.
Old 10/23/10, 09:28 PM
GTR Member

We really need a good fly by, take off, and idle video of these to compare to other brands. Right now, yasuro's video is a good start, but to help show the sound change, more thorough videos are needed.

I heard these in person and really like the subtle change. A friend picked up her 2011 GT last night and I could barely tell it was running.
Old 10/23/10, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

The best exhaust mod I did on my 07 GT was getting the 93 octane BrenSpeed custom tune.

It was AMAZING what it did to the stock exhaust. Really woke it up, and I loved the back pressure 'popping' I would get when letting off the gas leaving it in 1st gear.

Does anyone know if a custom tune on the 5.0's wake up the exhaust? I'd rather put the money into that then...
Old 10/23/10, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

DD has definitely put a damper on this ..I was really hoping this was the exhaust for me..Im glad he wrote this review but i would like to see and hear one more video on this exhaust before i close the book on this exhaust.I had Flowmaster Hushpower as my first choice but then i heard some reviews that there was drone.Now gt500 not much difference than stock?? my number #3 pick?? Borla S type or Roush?

Last edited by elvism; 10/23/10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10/23/10, 10:04 PM
V6 Member

reporting back in:

so after running it for almost 2 days, the sound is definitely getting louder. that's to be expected. most new sport mufflers get louder as they go through some heat cycles. not louder in the lower range, but definitely in the mid range.

it's noticeable from the inside windows up and i had replaced all the foam inside the sound tube.

also for the other posters, i can attest there's no drone under any RPM.
Old 10/24/10, 04:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by elvism
DD has definitely put a damper on this ..I was really hoping this was the exhaust for me..Im glad he wrote this review but i would like to see and hear one more video on this exhaust before i close the book on this exhaust.I had Flowmaster Hushpower as my first choice but then i heard some reviews that there was drone.Now gt500 not much difference than stock?? my number #3 pick?? Borla S type or Roush?
I will update my report after a few days of driving under many different conditions to see how it goes. I guess my initial report was rather damning, but remember that sound is a bit objective. I mean we can measure it with oscilloscopes and dB meters, but in the end what counts is what our ears want. I personally wanted a sound more akin to the 4.6 stock system, a.k.a. more rumbly/bass, but felt like the boost from the SVO mufflers was in frequencies higher than that.

I also strongly feel there's a lack of good audio/video. Someone needs to make a quality recording....

Last edited by Double-EDad; 10/24/10 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10/24/10, 08:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Eric thanks for the review. Why waste 300 bucks if they are not much better than stock. Looks like Roush is the leader right now as they are eliminated. Live in western NY so i will just wait to spring to see if anything else comes out.
Old 10/24/10, 09:45 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I respectfully disagre with Double-E. The GT-500's are a noticable improvement over stock.

I have had four differnent exhausts on my car and I went back to the GT-500's after having Corsa Extreme, Dynomax Race and Stainless works and stock and I have gone back to the GT-500's. The increase in sound is very noticable and the song at full throttle is awesome. and unlike many of the other systems I have tried it doesnt sounds like a harley davidson when under load.

Here is the problem guys, you cant tell ANYTHING about an exhaust systems sounds form a video, you have to hear it in person. Second exhaust is such a subjective thing personal prefernces play a huge part in why some people like one and not another.

Sometyhings that are not subjective are build quality, lack of drone and quality of materials used.
Old 10/24/10, 09:48 AM
GTR Member

I wonder what Corsa X-pipe and GT500 mufflers would sound like?
Old 10/24/10, 09:48 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I wonder what Corsa X-pipe and GT500 mufflers would sound like?
too quiet....we can try it for fun though
Old 10/24/10, 09:51 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
too quiet....we can try it for fun though
We should do an exhaust video comparo for stock, GT500, Corsa, and Dynomax.
Old 10/24/10, 09:53 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

The thing for me is they all sound way different on video then do in person.
The videos are not true representations of what they sound like
Old 10/24/10, 09:54 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
The thing for me is they all sound way different on video then do in person.
The videos are not true representations of what they sound like
I'm 100% with you, but you can still tell from a video which ones have a raspy tone at high rpms and which do not. All depends on the camera as well. A true video camera would help, not a camera phone or digi cam with video capability.

Quick Reply: GT 500 mufflers on my 2011 GT, now with video