2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Glass roof, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/14, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
I checked just about every single box that could be checked when ordering my '14 GT... I had the Shaker 1000 box checked, then looked up the differences between the 500 and 1000 systems and discovered the only real difference is a subwoofer. So, I unchecked that box, upgraded the front door speakers and figured I would add a sub on my own... Haven't felt the need- the Shaker 500 packs enough bass for me (especially when playing Pandora- the quality of the sound file seems to be higher on Pandora than it is on iPod or SiriusXM). So, I would have opted for the glass roof over the Shaker 1000 as well- but hey, that's why they're called "options-" everyone can order the stuff that means the most to them.
Exactly. It's always to each his/her own. We're just trying to help out!
Old 2/20/14, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love my glassroof. No regrets at all and hot or cold it's awesome.
Old 2/20/14, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and I LOVE my glass roof. I drive a '14 black 5.0, and it doesn't seem any hotter inside than my black '05 without the glass roof was. Both have leather interior. The tint on it is awesome... not dark enough to ruin the scenery, but still allowing it to be driveable in direct sun.

I was on the fence too...I actually ordered my car without it and after submitting my order had the dealer add it. Hahaha. I cannot imagine going back to my 05 and not having the glass roof.

I do however have all my other windows limo tinted, and I feel that helps the experience. And as for fading/drying out leather just make sure to put a sun shade in your windshield and close the roof shade when you aren't in the car... I do this in the winter as well... hell even when I park in parking garages... living in Vegas I don't really want people looking inside my baby.

tIt's definitely worth the approx $13 mo.
Old 2/20/14, 09:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Everything has pretty much been said.

All the same, my glass roof is great. After having a convertible, a regular coupe seemed like driving in a cave. Nice and bright with the glass, and my wife no longer complains about the wind messing her hair.
Old 2/20/14, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by STANGIT-NV

tIt's definitely worth the approx $13 mo.
$13? I figure it's closer to $25-$30 a month on a 72 month loan (figure it's a $2k option, invoice on that is probably whatever, $1600-$1800 so with interest you are probably right at $2k), lol.

I don't know, it's nice, but my payment currently will be quite comfortable. Adding it definitely adds a decent chunk to the payment.
Old 2/20/14, 09:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Just looked at page 2 and saw that you made up your mind.

You did what was good for you, which is always the right choice. Enjoy your new Mustang!
Old 2/20/14, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks!!
Old 2/20/14, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats on your purchase! Glad you got what you wanted.

But to set the record straight, under cons you mentioned fading leather and the cabin getting too hot.

The roof is UV resistant to SPF 50, and it is IR-reflectant. Meaning the UV rays won't fade your leather, and the sun's heat is mostly reflected, meaning the cabin will stay within a degree or two of what it would have been with a metal roof.

I read that in a Ford press release on the roof prior to buying mine.
Old 2/20/14, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on pulling the trigger! I love my glass roof. I read somewhere that the interior of a glass roof car is only 2 degrees warmer than a steel roof Mustang on a very hot day. It also has a great tint that blocks the UV rays, so as long as you keep the leather treated with a good protectant like Aerospace 303 your seats are safe.
Old 2/20/14, 11:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The roof is UV resistant to SPF 50, and it is IR-reflectant.

I work in ophthalmics, and can confirm (because I've measured with a UV meter) the roof transmits nothing shorter than 380nm (which is where UV starts). So, no fading of seats do to UV! Personally, I wish the tint on the roof glass was a bit lighter, but it does the trick.

Closing the shade makes the car feel instantly claustrophobic compared to the openness the glass provides.
Old 2/21/14, 05:13 AM
Cobra Member

I think the roof is a SPF 50 protectant with the shade not just the glass itself. I could be wrong but that was my understanding. OP, congrats on your order and good job staying on a budget. Like I said No one that has a glass roof dislikes it or has bad things to say about it. I gotta see if I can find that guy who left his 'stang with glassroof out in a hail storm and nothing happened to the glass, didn't break or anything!
Old 2/22/14, 06:57 PM
GT Member

I had a glass roof car at one point. It was awesome, gave a much more open feel to the car. I would have done it had it been an option when I got my car, but I didn't order mine, just got it off the lot before anyone else drove it.

I say go for it!
Old 2/22/14, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

curious, the two black strips in front and behind the glass roof, are those metal or plastic?
Old 2/22/14, 09:45 PM
V6 Member

Wish I would have gotten one... Looks like I'm missing out.
Old 2/22/14, 10:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
curious, the two black strips in front and behind the glass roof, are those metal or plastic?
I believe they're plastic.

Also, to those who say the GR cars don't look good with stripes, I believe it was Lethal Performance that built a 2011 GT500 when they first came out, in white/blue stripes. They installed perforated vinyl over the GR to carry the stripes along the whole car, but from the inside it was still transparent. It was such an awesome idea and look! No one else has done that since.
Old 2/23/14, 05:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38

Also, to those who say the GR cars don't look good with stripes, I believe it was Lethal Performance that built a 2011 GT500 when they first came out, in white/blue stripes. They installed perforated vinyl over the GR to carry the stripes along the whole car, but from the inside it was still transparent. It was such an awesome idea and look! No one else has done that since.
I've seen a '13 GT500 with a glass roof and LeMans stripes. It looked **** good to me.
Old 2/23/14, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
That's what I was afraid of…I've seen cars with big panoramic roofs that have similar black plastic surrounds and I've seen them warp out in the sun.
Old 2/24/14, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ss_roof_panel/

curious, the above link indicates (at least for early cars/CDC kits) that the black cross panels in front of and behind the glass roof are in fact metal.

could someone with a '13 or '14 glass roof car do me a favor and go out to the garage and give a little knock on those panels with the ol knuckles to hear if they make a metallic sound or a muted plastic sound?
Old 2/24/14, 08:18 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ss_roof_panel/ curious, the above link indicates (at least for early cars/CDC kits) that the black cross panels in front of and behind the glass roof are in fact metal. could someone with a '13 or '14 glass roof car do me a favor and go out to the garage and give a little knock on those panels with the ol knuckles to hear if they make a metallic sound or a muted plastic sound?
Definitely metal. Black gloss clear coat painted metal.

Knuckle test confirms.

Glass roof, yay or nay?-image-3285741667.jpg
Old 2/24/14, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks for being a pal!

plastic would definitely kill it, metal has me considering it...i cant decide still but need to soon since its been nearly a week since i ordered.

i kind of wish those metal strips werent there at all, turns a one piece roofskin into three pieces and not sure i like that look, seems less clean.

at least i know what the roof would be like though since my wifes new beetle has a pano roof which is basically an entire glass roof in itself. it is definitely nice but $2k and possible issues? tough to stomach which kind of tells me that at invoice price ($1781) if i dont love the hell out of it i should probably not do it. i saw some people having issues with the shade binding and one guy whos glass panel was delaminating and had to be replaced (eek, not the kind of thing i would EVER want to have ripped apart for a repair). if i was keeping the car for 3-4 years, sure, but wanting to keep this car anywhere from 6-10 years makes me leery of it being pitted or the uv protection wearing off resulting in interior fade...my ttops arent perfect after 24 years on my camaro. then again being a guy who always goes for the sunroof option just for the ambient light if nothing else, 6-10 years is a long time without.

man this is so tough, i wrote it off pretty much for three years, til after i sat down and ordered the car, figures lol. i know ill be happy either way though.

Quick Reply: Glass roof, yay or nay?