2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Glass Roof Option

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/10, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass roof for sure for me. Unless I end up waiting for '12 SE which probably won't allow it. I'm also pretty sure that the Sync in the 'stang now, allows you to not have to bring CDs with you.
Old 2/28/10, 07:25 PM
GT Member

I am on glass roof but I need to think about the hang-down issue and my budget twice. If I can accept the hang-down thing after I see it in person, I would check the option when I put my order.
Old 2/28/10, 08:00 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaromeo
I am on glass roof but I need to think about the hang-down issue and my budget twice. If I can accept the hang-down thing after I see it in person, I would check the option when I put my order.
There is no hang down issue in any of the glass roof cars i've been in or seen online
Old 2/28/10, 08:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I want both Elec Pkg and Glass Roof. This will be my first new car, and the dream Mustang I've always wanted. I want it loaded. I hate the pixelated display of the non-navi cars, and would use all the features (even IF they will be obsolete next year). And I love the GR. You have to see if in person to be a believer. I thought it was stupid and over priced at first. Then I saw one in person, and I HAD to have it. It's so cool, and I think I like that it doesn't open. It would be cool if it did, but the motors would just add more weight and complexity/seals that could leak over time. I still think it's about $500 over priced, but still worth it to me!
Old 2/28/10, 08:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Glass roof for sure for me. Unless I end up waiting for '12 SE which probably won't allow it. I'm also pretty sure that the Sync in the 'stang now, allows you to not have to bring CDs with you.
This is true, you could always plug an iPod (or other MP3 player?) and use that instead. The electronics package is quoted as coming with a 10GB hard drive to store music on, at least for the 2010s.
Old 2/28/10, 09:10 PM
GT Member

uhhh... not! go see one in person. Literally, it's almost like a sagging headliner when you close the screen. It's the screen which kind of hangs down a little. Think about it- it almost has to, unless it's been changed or something in the 2011's.

To me- it's cheesy. I've seen 2 already. 1 2009, and 1 2010.

I don't think the 2011 is going to be any different.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
There is no hang down issue in any of the glass roof cars i've been in or seen online
Old 2/28/10, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Eh I honestly never looked at the cover, but I won't use it anyway.
Old 2/28/10, 10:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
uhhh... not! go see one in person. Literally, it's almost like a sagging headliner when you close the screen. It's the screen which kind of hangs down a little. Think about it- it almost has to, unless it's been changed or something in the 2011's.

Did you read my post? I HAVE been in one and the liner didn't sag.

This one looks just fine

Last edited by stangfoeva; 2/28/10 at 10:11 PM.
Old 3/1/10, 06:22 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa

I was trying to be diplomatic before but if you insist upon this then I will continue to tell you are wrong. If you'd like I could snap a few pics for ya, maybe the one you saw had some sort of defect but I can assure you and any others considering the GR this isn't an issue at all.
Old 3/1/10, 01:18 PM
V6 Member

Thanks to all for the great response. I find I love the way it opens up the interior, but for the price I am not sure. As far as the Electronics Package, It is a must have for me. I have been told it increases the functionality of the Sync system. For anyone contemplating buying a Camaro, look at the interior shot of the Mustang on this thread compare that to the Camaro. I have a friend with a 1969 Z28 and that has a nicer inside then a 2010C!!!
Old 3/1/10, 08:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Did you read my post? I HAVE been in one and the liner didn't sag.

This one looks just fine
Good picture. It seems good enough for me. Thanks!
Old 3/1/10, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Smile

Please dont take me wrong. I'm not saying I dont like the glass roof. To be honest, I'm still considering one and am interested to put it clearly. The ones I noticed seem to be hanging down, but I only seen 2 of them- 1 on an 09, and one on a 10- The 09 seems to be hanging down a little more, and perhaps cause it was on the dealer lot for a while and been sitting there. It's not a big deal to me, really. The glass roof is actually very nice.. My apologies if I came off the wrong way. I think that there's going to be a high demand for them on the new 2011s.

Originally Posted by ttiguy
I was trying to be diplomatic before but if you insist upon this then I will continue to tell you are wrong. If you'd like I could snap a few pics for ya, maybe the one you saw had some sort of defect but I can assure you and any others considering the GR this isn't an issue at all.
Old 3/1/10, 08:50 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by alfaromeo
Good picture. It seems good enough for me. Thanks!
no problem
Old 3/17/10, 10:44 AM
V6 Member

I am debating on the glass roof myself, but have a different concern.
Does anyone worry about the safety issue of the glass relating to chips, cracks, or even crap falling on the roof during highway driving?
I spend a lot of time on Houston freeways next to some big concrete trucks, 18 wheelers, etc, so is this something to worry about?
I would hate to have a chipped up glass roof 2 years down the road.
Or, is this not even a worry?
Also, besides the additional weight, any issue with performance with the glass roof, or any issue with added wind noise vs. the hardtop.

Thanks...

Last edited by treygil; 3/17/10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 3/17/10, 10:51 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by treygil
I am debating on the glass roof myself, but have a different concern.
Does anyone worry about the safety issue of the glass relating to chips, cracks, or even crap falling on the roof during highway driving?
I spend a lot of time on Houston freeways next to some big concrete trucks, 18 wheelers, etc, so is this something to worry about?
I would hate to have a chipped up glass roof 2 years down the road.
Or, is this not even a worry?
Also, besides the additional weight, any issue with performance with the glass roof, or any issue with added wind noise vs. the hardtop.

Thanks...
Hey man, welcome to the site

About getting the class chipped: According to several insurance agents the car's glass roof will be covered by insurance just like the windshield. So I'm sure if you get a significant crack or something you could get it repaired under insurance.

As far as performance: It will set you back 28lbs, but not much else is traded off

wind noise: should be identical to the standard coupe since it doesn't open
Old 3/18/10, 11:57 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the reply, and for welcoming the newbie!
Old 3/18/10, 12:28 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by treygil
Thanks for the reply, and for welcoming the newbie!
No prob bro I recommend going for a test drive in one to see if you like it since its a $2k option
Old 3/18/10, 03:14 PM
GT Member

Glass Roof

Take it for a test drive to see, for me the extra $2000 I didn't really like and I live in Vegas so no scenery to see through the roof, my father has one on his 2010 and lives in Montana, its cool for him since you can see things that are green...
Old 3/18/10, 03:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Fastback
Take it for a test drive to see, for me the extra $2000 I didn't really like and I live in Vegas so no scenery to see through the roof, my father has one on his 2010 and lives in Montana, its cool for him since you can see things that are green...
It's a roof, if you see green through it you are either in a deep valley or the stability control didn't help.
Old 3/18/10, 07:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Rob89-94-11?
It's a roof, if you see green through it you are either in a deep valley or the stability control didn't help.
LoL!

Quick Reply: Glass Roof Option