2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Glass Roof Option

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/10, 12:43 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass Roof Option

Does this add weight to the car? And fo those with this option, Does it make make for increased heat inside on a hot day? Thanks
Old 2/27/10, 12:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cocojoe53
Does this add weight to the car? And fo those with this option, Does it make make for increased heat inside on a hot day? Thanks
yes to both questions. any glass sunroof adds weight and raises the cars center of gravity.
Old 2/27/10, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cocojoe53
The increaase in temperature is minimal due to the coating on the glass. It is cool to the touch on a hot day so there is little to no increase in cabin temp vs. the standard roof.
Old 2/27/10, 02:32 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The best i can find on the weight is......The glass roof adds 28 pounds.
Old 2/27/10, 02:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
The best i can find on the weight is......The glass roof adds 28 pounds.
Yes that is the number
Old 2/27/10, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

To me, the $1,995 it adds to the price concerns me more than the 28 lbs of added weight. If I could get a factory sunroof for maybe $1,000, I would get it, but for $2K, and does not open, I just can't justify it.
Old 2/27/10, 03:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

I ordered the glass roof with my '11 and not too much worried about CG because the car will be lowered 1.5 or so and also it has a sliding shade should you not want the sun shining through. Sure that's a lotta cheese for a option but you only live once.
Old 2/27/10, 03:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
To me, the $1,995 it adds to the price concerns me more than the 28 lbs of added weight. If I could get a factory sunroof for maybe $1,000, I would get it, but for $2K, and does not open, I just can't justify it.
The value to me is that the actual glass opening is about three times the size of a normal moonroof. So by my calculations that's 3 x $1,000, -33% for the fact that it doesn't open (which I don't care about anyway) = $2,000.

Old 2/27/10, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kckmustang
The value to me is that the actual glass opening is about three times the size of a normal moonroof. So by my calculations that's 3 x $1,000, -33% for the fact that it doesn't open (which I don't care about anyway) = $2,000.

Thats an interesting way to look at it...
Old 2/27/10, 05:20 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I think its worth it on coolness factor alone
Old 2/27/10, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Poppa
. Sure that's a lotta cheese for a option but you only live once.
I agree If you like it get it. They don't call you Big Poppa for nutin'
Old 2/27/10, 07:25 PM
GT Member

I've been struggling with the same decision myself. Coming from a vert, the sunlight would be nice but at a sacrifice. The bigger problem I'm having is that the glass roof option is not available with the 2010 track pack package. Now for 2011, I'm very interested in the Brembo's which is said to be available with the Track Pack. IF this is true, I need to decide b/t the two.
Old 2/27/10, 07:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by erickburke
I've been struggling with the same decision myself. Coming from a vert, the sunlight would be nice but at a sacrifice. The bigger problem I'm having is that the glass roof option is not available with the 2010 track pack package. Now for 2011, I'm very interested in the Brembo's which is said to be available with the Track Pack. IF this is true, I need to decide b/t the two.
There is no 'Track Pack' per se on the 2011. Most of the components are standard features now except that the Brembos will fill in what's missing.
Old 2/27/10, 09:28 PM
GT Member

My opinion: I went to see the glass roof car. 1st of all, they're very rare on the dealership lots. So demand seems to be very little. The one I seen had the sliding screen, which doesn't fully block all the light and is somewhat tacky. Tacky in that it hangs down, like a sagging old roofliner, and nearly touches your hair- and I'm 5 foot 8. I definitely won't ordrer a glass roof after seeing it in person. It isn't worth it, in my opinion. If you want to have a nice view, then get a convertible then...

I drove a 2010 convertible today- and I've got to say, it was a really refreshing, nice experience. It handled really nice, even though it was a chilly Florida day.
I just don't know if I can justify spending another 5k for a Convertible- although a 2011 5.0 Vert would turn many heads, and be just soooo cool. My kids would love it too.

The only true drawback to the convertible for me is- they're not offering a 3:73 gear for the rear axle for the 2011 Convertibles. I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but if it is- then it could be a dealbreaker for me. I have to have a 2011 with a 3:73 and Brembos Brakes!

Last edited by ipodintampa; 2/27/10 at 09:31 PM.
Old 2/27/10, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

As far as the cost of the glass roof is concerned I'd have to say it's worth every last penny to me. I initially ordered my '10 without it but added it soon after. At 2 grand I really thought it was over priced but after doing a dealer search I took a little trip to go check one out and sit inside one for myself. It seemed so unique that I was sold instantly. Looking back if I hadn't ponied up for the roof I wouldn't be nearly as happy with my Mustang. About the heat inside? I think it wont be that big a deal, not at all concerned about that.

GET THE GLASS ROOF!

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
My opinion: I went to see the glass roof car. 1st of all, they're very rare on the dealership lots. So demand seems to be very little. The one I seen had the sliding screen, which doesn't fully block all the light and is somewhat tacky. Tacky in that it hangs down, like a sagging old roofliner, and nearly touches your hair- and I'm 5 foot 8. I definitely won't ordrer a glass roof after seeing it in person. It isn't worth it, in my opinion. If you want to have a nice view, then get a convertible then...
No idea what your talking about the headliner hanging down, then again I've only seen mine once or twice just to if it was there. Out of sight out of mind.

gotta show off a pic

Last edited by ttiguy; 2/27/10 at 10:11 PM.
Old 2/28/10, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

I ordered my 2011 with the glass roof. My current car (for a couple more months) is a 2000 Corvette and it has the glass targa top. Even though I can remove the top, I only seem to do it a handful of times each year. Where I live there just aren't a ton of days when the weather is just right for top down cruising. It's either too hot, too cool, too windy, too sunny, whatever. I expect there will be occasions when I will miss the removable roof, but not too often.

The transparency of the roof is something I enjoy every time I drive the Corvette. If I had a hard top I would miss the transparency every day. Yes, the glass roof would be even nicer if it opened. Yes, $2000 is a lot of cabbage. I love it anyway.

I've owned cars with glass T-tops (not even tinted in the MR2) or a glass targa top since 1987 and I've never said to myself "It is just too hot in here. I wish I had a solid roof." And believe me, I talk to myself a lot. Furthermore, the Mustang's glass roof has the sunshade. OK, so it's not 100% opaque. Big deal, none of my previous glass roofed cars had a retractable sunshade at all.
Old 2/28/10, 11:57 AM
GT Member

I think the Glass Roof option is beyond awesome. I think it's the perfect thing for people who don't want a vert yet want a more open and airy cockpit. Not cheap, but then I think $2000 is well worth it. I'd definitely spec one on mine if I was ordering.
Old 2/28/10, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If money was no object, I probably would have considered the glass roof.

The 2010 GT I test drove last summer had it, and yes it was very cool.

Probably would still have not forked out another $2,138 for the Electronics package though, I'll be dealing with a steep enough technology learning curve going from my '04 and the Premium pkg. '11 features.

Doug
Old 2/28/10, 01:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
If money was no object, I probably would have considered the glass roof.

The 2010 GT I test drove last summer had it, and yes it was very cool.

Probably would still have not forked out another $2,138 for the Electronics package though, I'll be dealing with a steep enough technology learning curve going from my '04 and the Premium pkg. '11 features.

Doug
If I had to choose between the two (electronics pkg or glass roof) I would choose the glass roof. Especially if I was planning on keeping the car a long time, in a few years that oh-so old school 2010 electronics pkg wont seem nearly as nice as the glass roof will.
Old 2/28/10, 03:13 PM
GT Member

Ah, see I'm the opposite. If I had to choose between the glass roof and the electronics package, Electronics all the way. I don't like the look of those dash mounted GPS systems and the idea of never having to carry CDs around in the car is a strong one for me.

Quick Reply: Glass Roof Option