2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Found my first nicks and scratches: Heart-ache. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/10, 02:24 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Join the club. No matter how hard you try you will find stuff and have no clue how it got there and the drive yourself nuts agonizing over it. Its just part of being ****. I hate my car already as i have found a few flaws.
This.

No matter how hard you try, any car that's driven is going to get nicked up. My brand-new 3-Series BMW's lower fascia all chewed up because my girlfriend thinks the time to stop is when you hear a "crunch" in a parking spot (she hit one of those concrete solid stop things). My Mustang, too, was full of nicks and scratches; I recently had it professionally detailed, though, and he took care of all that. Now it looks (better than) brand new!
Old 7/18/10, 03:23 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I was quoted for the installation of a clear 3M protective film for both the front bumper and a 12" section of the hood and side of fenders. Cost is $500, what is the down side of having it install ? Will it change the color of the paint overtime ? What about wax on this film !
The 3M site says wax is fine - just be careful at the edge to avoid build-up. I paid a little more than that thru the Dealer (so I could finance it) but I had several extra areas covered too. I have never worked with stuff like this so I wanted it professionally applied and warrantied.
Some brands apparently can yellow over time but that's why I went 3M.
I just had key marks painted on my front fender and they had to remove some mask. Have to wait 30 days for paint & clearcoat to cure until the mask is reapplied. They said it peels off - whether they apply any liquid as they peel I'm not sure.
Haven't found a downside yet. A few feet back from the car you don't even see it. And you don't have to hassle taking it off like the old bra's (I've had two cars paint cloud from moisture absorbed in the bra lining).
Old 7/18/10, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

They offered me the 3M brand only. He showed me some other cheaper brand they don't use which is thinner and less transparent. I'll probably have it installed before the winter.
Old 7/18/10, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Their is a site called Dr. Color Chip, they have red candy touch up.I just ordered some grabber blue from them, I haven't tried it yet but it look good?
Old 7/18/10, 04:49 PM
Cobra R Member

for the nick...touchup paint...toothpicks or q-tips (things for your ears) and carefully touchup......
Old 7/18/10, 04:56 PM

Why do people act like this when they get a new car? Three years from now the thread starter probably could not even be bothered to wash the car.
Old 7/18/10, 05:11 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SCARIER
Why do people act like this when they get a new car? Three years from now the thread starter probably could not even be bothered to wash the car.
years? I bet in 8 months
Old 7/18/10, 05:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SCARIER
Why do people act like this when they get a new car?
Oh I don't know... its probably that thirty thousand thing...
Old 7/18/10, 05:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use Pledge on them!
Old 7/18/10, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

The 3M is a good idea and all but **** $750????? geez i'll just get my bumper repainted after a few years
Old 7/18/10, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I was quoted for the installation of a clear 3M protective film for both the front bumper and a 12" section of the hood and side of fenders. Cost is $500, what is the down side of having it install ? Will it change the color of the paint overtime ? What about wax on this film !
To me, the only real downside is that you can see it. That's really the part I don't like, and the tape barely shows up on my pearl white paint.
Old 7/18/10, 08:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It's called patina.
It's going to happen...and your car will still look great.

This is a real driver's muscle car, not a pampered Vette.
Old 7/19/10, 06:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
It's called patina.
It's going to happen...and your car will still look great.

This is a real driver's muscle car, not a pampered Vette.
Old 7/19/10, 08:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
3M Clear Mask FTW!!
+1. I put it on my '10 before it was a week old. I had a few chips / nicks on the front of my '07 and white really shows those proudly. A friend of mine has had a 3M mask on his Lexus since day one and it's coming up on six years old. Never had a problem, hasn't faded, cracked, peeled and you really have to be on top of it to even notice it's there. On mine, it's on the hood, front part of the fenders, mirrors and inside the door handles (ring and fingernail scratches). I was referred by the company that did my tint and it cost about $320. For another $200 I could have gotten the front bumper. It came with a lifetime warranty.

I'm obsessive about my car too. Yes I realize it's a car and that it can be replaced, repaired and repainted. However, if I can add a piece of practically invisible plastic that protects my paint to keep this from happening, it's one less thing I have to worry about. Now I can concentrate on the lawn mowers / weed eaters of the world. And don't get me started on road paving.
Old 7/19/10, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the FoMoCo bra and am happy with it. I remove it once a week to detail underneath and all is fine.

Fight the nicks, chips, etc!!! And also get a pickup as your DD so your baby doesn't have to get abused...
Old 7/19/10, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hey can someone tell me more about the 3m clear stuff. i had one guy tell me you can put it on, peel it off and put it back on again as much as you want. i also heard that it was permanent and i didnt want permanent on my car. any link or clarification to this??
also, anyone have it on for a long period and see any signs of dis-coloration?
Old 7/19/10, 10:24 AM
GT Member

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rotection/Film

or

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html
Old 7/20/10, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7/20/10, 03:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Might consider buying it online and do the installation myself. Wonder if someone has ever done it on his car.
Old 7/20/10, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

I put the invisible mask on my 2011 gt a few weeks ago myself. It is not very easy, and I am sure the pro's have a few tricks that allow them to install it without getting any bubbles or places that don't adhere properly. The job I did is ok, probably pretty good by many peoples standards, but it doesn't look as good to me as the pictures posted on page 2 of this thread.

Quick Reply: Found my first nicks and scratches: Heart-ache. What do I do?