2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

First oil change-Oil Filter dissection Pics

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/12, 03:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thamac15
I'm an f16 avionics craftsmen then cross trained to age where we deal with gas turbine compressors(aka jet engine) I'm assuming you use mil spec 7808 for turbine oil unless ur navy/marines? All the times I helped crew chiefs change oil and all the times I've changed it in the -60s I've yet to see 7808 dirty except when contaminated with water which was a code p at NDI lab. I've seen the NDI test for molecular breakdown and it surprised the crap out of me. I wouldn't compare jet engine oil with 2104 oil,...entirely different oils.
We use MIL-PRF-23699 in the engines and gearboxes. Have you ever pulled a filter or a chip detector and took a look at it? Especially the old type wafer filters used on some of the old style engines and gearboxes. Nevertheless, ALL engines wear turbine, rotary, internal combustion, steam, you name it. Regardless of oil type or what the oil looks like to the naked eye there is always some metal in the oil. Usually teenie tiny pieces and sometimes some metallic fuzz on the detector but it's always there. What part did you perform NDI on?

Last edited by Big Poppa; 5/23/12 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 5/23/12, 05:54 PM

Don't change the oil early on '11 or '12 5.0's!!! Ford recommends 5,000 miles for a reason. There is a special additive in the break-in oil. A friend of mine who was a sales manager at Team Ford, Las Vegas moved to Florida, bought a '12 5.0 as did I and changed the oil early. The engine developed a knock shortly thereafter and they had to put a new engine in it. The factory reps got involved and said it was because of the early oil change. TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER, HAVE THEM CHANGE THE OIL!!! That way if any problems develop your warranty will cover it. I am not a newby, been drag racing for over 50 years and always thought it was a good idea to change oil early. Waited till 4,950 miles on my '12 5.0!
Old 5/23/12, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I drove my car like a raped ape first 1000 miles with the break- in oil. The rings definitely were set lol. Changed the oil at 1000 and 5000 and 10000 with Mobil 1 5-20 EP. I now have 11,200 and the car couldn't be stronger. I may wait until 20,000 now. If the car is driven easily during break- in , then the 5000 mile oil change is probably the way to go. The process can be sped up though . When I built the 347 for my notchback, I broke it in on the dyno with 2 runs on motor and 2 on nitrous then straight to the track. The motor ran great for several years(3). It would've lasted longer but the guy I sold it to upped the jets and tried to shoot 250 HP on a stock block. Anyway, there's plenty of ways to properly break in an engine. Some just prefer one way over another.
Old 5/23/12, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed at 1000 miles and now am at 5000, no knock whatsoever. The only ill-effect of changing the oil early was having to spend more time in the garage.. oh wait nevermind...
Old 5/24/12, 07:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
whether you change the first oil early (1k or less miles) or late (5k or more), the chances of you "harming" the engine are pretty nil to none. Oil is oil is oil. Just change it with a good quality brand oil you like, and drive it like you want. No need to over worry.
Old 5/24/12, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe I did my first change between 3 & 5K and it was a nice medium golden color - not fresh, but far from black. That's suspicious...

I didn't open the filter (I still have it, though) but I did let the filter oil drain in a separate pan and it looked clean.
Old 5/24/12, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinyodas
I believe I did my first change between 3 & 5K and it was a nice medium golden color - not fresh, but far from black. That's suspicious...

I didn't open the filter (I still have it, though) but I did let the filter oil drain in a separate pan and it looked clean.
Like I sad earlier, judging oil and how it's performing based on color or what you see/don't see if you cut open a filter is inaccurate at best - take a sample of the oil and send it to Blackstone Labs, who does fluid analysis all day long.
Old 8/7/12, 07:14 PM
GT Member

Just mentally planning ahead . . . I don't have my Mustang 5.0 yet. I noticed looking under the hood at one in the showroom, it looks like the oil filter is on the front of the engine, left side. Looking from above, I could not see a way to get to the filter from underneath easily. Do you really have to change it from above, under the hood? If so, that seems like it would increase the mess made.
Old 8/8/12, 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JoesCat
Just mentally planning ahead . . . I don't have my Mustang 5.0 yet. I noticed looking under the hood at one in the showroom, it looks like the oil filter is on the front of the engine, left side. Looking from above, I could not see a way to get to the filter from underneath easily. Do you really have to change it from above, under the hood? If so, that seems like it would increase the mess made.
A few new cars do have the filter that can be changed from under the hood, but the Mustang isn't one of them. It's accessible under the car by taking out three small screws, which then lets a plastic access panel swing down so you can reach the filter, which is in a traditional mounting point. Easy to change and not a big deal at all.
Old 8/8/12, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

lol thanks to the 5.0, the 3.7L engine is so easy to work with, there is just soo much room in the engine bay I can almost put a suit case in there. I just reach in and twist the oil filter off on my 3.7
Old 8/8/12, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put spill pads under the filter and they soaked up all the oil with zero mess.

Last edited by Thamac15; 8/8/12 at 11:43 AM.
Old 8/8/12, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
I put spill pads under the filter and they soaked up all the oil with zero mess.
I assume you mean the mess from the oil coming off the filter? Get a gallon ziploc bag and wrap it around the filter as you start twisting it off - you'll catch 99% of the oil and have almost no mess.
Old 8/8/12, 05:45 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
I assume you mean the mess from the oil coming off the filter? Get a gallon ziploc bag and wrap it around the filter as you start twisting it off - you'll catch 99% of the oil and have almost no mess.
This x 100%. I remember posting this in one of my threads a year ago. I gave props to whoever came up with that baggie idea. Pure genius. I had zero spills, and that's what I do now for all my cars
Old 8/8/12, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BOB KIRKBRIDE
Don't change the oil early on '11 or '12 5.0's!!! Ford recommends 5,000 miles for a reason. There is a special additive in the break-in oil. A friend of mine who was a sales manager at Team Ford, Las Vegas moved to Florida, bought a '12 5.0 as did I and changed the oil early. The engine developed a knock shortly thereafter and they had to put a new engine in it. The factory reps got involved and said it was because of the early oil change. TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER, HAVE THEM CHANGE THE OIL!!! That way if any problems develop your warranty will cover it. I am not a newby, been drag racing for over 50 years and always thought it was a good idea to change oil early. Waited till 4,950 miles on my '12 5.0!
This post is all wrong.
Old 8/8/12, 06:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
A few new cars do have the filter that can be changed from under the hood, but the Mustang isn't one of them. It's accessible under the car by taking out three small screws, which then lets a plastic access panel swing down so you can reach the filter, which is in a traditional mounting point. Easy to change and not a big deal at all.
Thank you kindly. I've nothing else to do but imagine the car, and live vicariously through you folks. Mine's barely a twinkling on a salesman's order sheet
Old 8/9/12, 02:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoesCat
Thank you kindly. I've nothing else to do but imagine the car, and live vicariously through you folks. Mine's barely a twinkling on a salesman's order sheet
That's a heck of a car you've got ordered! You will love it!