2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

FINALLY!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/14, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FINALLY!!!!!

My new GT has arrived. Most likely will pick up late this afternoon or tomorrow...of course tomorrows high is like 0 ( it's a balmy 5 right now) so will freeze my butt off. Wondering, how do the summer only tires drive in this cold? I was originally gonna use a flat bed to take up my trade and then bring back the new GT but I can save $175 if just drive mine up and drive the new one home. That will help towards the GT500's I want to put on.
Old 2/26/14, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are running summer tires, be REALLY carefully. they will feel like you are driving on plastic tires. turns will be especially interesting. hopefully you don't have to drive a long distance.
Old 2/26/14, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer only PZeros are like driving on hockey pucks, very very little grip, and greatly reduced stopping distances. You will have to be VERY careful if you drive it home, stay off the gas, and leave plenty of stopping distance between you and anyone else on the road. You can get sideways real fast if you put your foot in the gas, so take it easy on the turns.
Old 2/26/14, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bones302
if you are running summer tires, be REALLY carefully. they will feel like you are driving on plastic tires. turns will be especially interesting. hopefully you don't have to drive a long distance.
It's 28 miles away, but all country driving once I get out of town (they are out in the middle of no-where)..once i get to the highway they are on, it is 20 miles of straight driving with 1 stop sign. The GT doesn't have the summer only, just my V6 trade-in. I guess if I drive it like my mom drives, it should be ok (she is 84!)

Last edited by JCStang; 2/26/14 at 11:45 AM.
Old 2/26/14, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

And yes, this will be the only time my trade has been driven in the winter and the only time my GT will be driven in the winter!! Bringing it home and into storage...just wanted to pick it up as we are supposed to get anywhere from 5 to 12 inches of snow between Friday and Sunday and I don't want them using a broom to get the snow off and not sure when the roads would be clean and dry after all that snow!! Worst winter ever!!!! Told them to leave the plastic on the seats, etc since I won't be using it for a while.
Old 2/26/14, 12:19 PM
Cobra Member

Sounds like you should be good then.

1st Mods - Hood struts, Cooltech sound tube delete, and a new MGW!!

You are gonna love the GT, congrats. Did you think to ask the dealer to make you a spare key or 2 while they have it? The process is a PITA, and if you can get them to be cool and just charge you dealer cost (still over 90$ per key!).

Keep an ear out for the dreaded 3:73 rear axle whine, you notice it right around 68-72 mph in 6th gear when you have your foot on the gas. Hit the clutch and coast and see if the whine goes away if you think you have it.

Also make sure you check the oil level of the engine before you drive off the lot, as well as inspect all 4 rims for any signs of damage from transport. Last thing - check the paint carefully, some cars shipped by train will have 'rail dust' from the rails when the car is shipped by train. Hood, roof, and trunk lid. If it's there, it needs a good clay bar treatment to get it off, so don't let em swirl up your virgin paint with a crappy pre-delivery prep job.
Old 2/26/14, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Sounds like you should be good then.

1st Mods - Hood struts, Cooltech sound tube delete, and a new MGW!!

You are gonna love the GT, congrats. Did you think to ask the dealer to make you a spare key or 2 while they have it? The process is a PITA, and if you can get them to be cool and just charge you dealer cost (still over 90$ per key!).

Keep an ear out for the dreaded 3:73 rear axle whine, you notice it right around 68-72 mph in 6th gear when you have your foot on the gas. Hit the clutch and coast and see if the whine goes away if you think you have it.

Also make sure you check the oil level of the engine before you drive off the lot, as well as inspect all 4 rims for any signs of damage from transport. Last thing - check the paint carefully, some cars shipped by train will have 'rail dust' from the rails when the car is shipped by train. Hood, roof, and trunk lid. If it's there, it needs a good clay bar treatment to get it off, so don't let em swirl up your virgin paint with a crappy pre-delivery prep job.
I doubt I will get it up to that speed on the drive home....I just want to get it home and safe in the garage. Is the whine there from day 1 or does it slowly come on?

Shouldn't have the rail dust as mine was trucked in, but i will probably still clay it this spring just to have a good base to work from going forward. I believe they will have it in-doors so i can look it over carefully and not freeze my butt off.

As of right now the first mods are the Redline hood struts and GT500 mufflers.
Old 2/26/14, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats, and enjoy the delivery process! Don't know if you're picky about this or not, but I made sure they didn't stick one of their dealer decals on the back or put "tire shine" on the tires.

Yeah, those Summer onlys are atrocious in the cold (throw in even 1" of snow, and they become entirely useless).
Old 2/26/14, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JCStang
I doubt I will get it up to that speed on the drive home....I just want to get it home and safe in the garage. Is the whine there from day 1 or does it slowly come on?

Shouldn't have the rail dust as mine was trucked in, but i will probably still clay it this spring just to have a good base to work from going forward. I believe they will have it in-doors so i can look it over carefully and not freeze my butt off.

As of right now the first mods are the Redline hood struts and GT500 mufflers.

Good choice on first mods. That's the route I took too. You'll absolutely love the feel of the acceleration and the sound of the GT500's when you mash the go pedal.
Old 2/26/14, 12:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats... nice mods... those where exactly my first mods too... u will love the gt500s
Old 2/26/14, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
YAY!!! Congrats. I don't see how you do it. I would not have the patience to wait for an order and then have to garage it till spring. I would go nuts.
Old 2/26/14, 01:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats JCStang..............you know what? I'd still pay that $175 to get both cars to their destinations safely. A small(ish) price to pay for peace of mind

Make sure you take lots of photos and post back here!
Old 2/26/14, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Congrats, and enjoy the delivery process! Don't know if you're picky about this or not, but I made sure they didn't stick one of their dealer decals on the back or put "tire shine" on the tires.

Yeah, those Summer onlys are atrocious in the cold (throw in even 1" of snow, and they become entirely useless).
They already know about the sticker, the salesguy knew to ask...and actually I like the brand of tire shine they use...so much so I searched on the internet until i found a place that sold it
Old 2/26/14, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
WEATHER!
The only reason Im glad I live in California!
Congrats on finally getting your car!
I have another 2 weeks to wait!
Old 2/26/14, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Congrats JCStang..............you know what? I'd still pay that $175 to get both cars to their destinations safely. A small(ish) price to pay for peace of mind

Make sure you take lots of photos and post back here!
Agreed. Imagine how crappy it would be to wreck your trade on the way to the dealer. Spend that little amount of money and have the peace of mind.
Old 2/26/14, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the GT500s installed and love em!

Just for consideration, however...

For just $699 you can order the Boss 302 quad exhaust (the H-pipe with the side cut-outs) and have them installed in about an hour. Just sayin...
Old 2/26/14, 02:33 PM
Cobra Member

If the roads were not clear and dry I would haul it up there, plus there is very little traffic on this road.....as soon as I pull into their lot and get out i will breath a sigh of relief!! The guy that was going to haul it said to give him 2 days notice and i pick the car up at noon tomorrow...plus I was thinking that they may tack more on if they have to sit there and wait for all the inspections for both cars, signing all those papers, etc.
Old 2/26/14, 03:05 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Awesome.
Congrats on your new Mustang!!
Old 2/26/14, 04:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Happy for you bro! Congrats!
Old 2/26/14, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

That's great news! Congrats! We need pictures asap!

Quick Reply: FINALLY!!!!!