2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

A few minor "issues" with the 11' GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/11, 11:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll share some insight on quick moving TSBs and recalls.

My previous car was a 2007 Mazdaspeed6. The first car Mazda used the 2.3 DISI motor in. A common problem developed between the Speed3, Speed6, and CX-7; cars would smoke at idle after warm up, and it would look like a fog machine was installed in their exhaust.

Mazda knew what most likely was causing the problem. They found an issue with tolerances in the seals inside the turbo, a Hitachi-Warner K04. They revised the part. Still didn't seem to solve the problem. Again, a more major revision was done to the turbo in late 2009, but the internal memos said that the PCV system was to blame, and that we should see a revised setup by October 2009. That came and went, and dates were pushed back. More and more owners experienced this. In the mean time, dealers were instructed to use 5w-40 oil, instead of the suggested 5w-30, to try and prevent this issue. It helped some, but others still had issues. Turbos were being replaced left and right (I had two replaced on my car alone), and the issues would come back.

I had two turbos replaced. One for the smoking issue (it was the original design), and one for a bearing failure, which made it sound like a supercharger at normal boost levels. Did I complain? No. Car was fixed and ran fine, never stranded me or threw a CEL because of it.

Fast forward to earlier this year. They FINALLY came out with a PCV solution. Long after the warranties for most owners have expired. It's still not 100% certain that the retrofit parts actually work, but I posted this for a reason. A fix such as that took much longer than planned/anticipated for several reasons:

1 - during validation and testing, it wasn't 100%
2 - validation and testing takes time, along with development for future models

So, while the layman may not see them working on issues, I'd say they're getting the attention they deserve, and something will come out of it eventually. Threads like this do nothing but stir up the public, many of which don't fully understand what goes into development and engineering of the products we take for granted today.
Old 5/24/11, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I'll share some insight on quick moving TSBs and recalls.

My previous car was a 2007 Mazdaspeed6. The first car Mazda used the 2.3 DISI motor in. A common problem developed between the Speed3, Speed6, and CX-7; cars would smoke at idle after warm up, and it would look like a fog machine was installed in their exhaust.

Mazda knew what most likely was causing the problem. They found an issue with tolerances in the seals inside the turbo, a Hitachi-Warner K04. They revised the part. Still didn't seem to solve the problem. Again, a more major revision was done to the turbo in late 2009, but the internal memos said that the PCV system was to blame, and that we should see a revised setup by October 2009. That came and went, and dates were pushed back. More and more owners experienced this. In the mean time, dealers were instructed to use 5w-40 oil, instead of the suggested 5w-30, to try and prevent this issue. It helped some, but others still had issues. Turbos were being replaced left and right (I had two replaced on my car alone), and the issues would come back.

I had two turbos replaced. One for the smoking issue (it was the original design), and one for a bearing failure, which made it sound like a supercharger at normal boost levels. Did I complain? No. Car was fixed and ran fine, never stranded me or threw a CEL because of it.

Fast forward to earlier this year. They FINALLY came out with a PCV solution. Long after the warranties for most owners have expired. It's still not 100% certain that the retrofit parts actually work, but I posted this for a reason. A fix such as that took much longer than planned/anticipated for several reasons:

1 - during validation and testing, it wasn't 100%
2 - validation and testing takes time, along with development for future models

So, while the layman may not see them working on issues, I'd say they're getting the attention they deserve, and something will come out of it eventually. Threads like this do nothing but stir up the public, many of which don't fully understand what goes into development and engineering of the products we take for granted today.
Buddy, that's not our problem as the consumer. As a consumer, we expect a product to work. You don't go buy an electronic shaver only to cut your head off with it, due to engineering error. We expect the cars to work without any major issues. Otherwise, we leave the brand behind and go after something that will not kill us. Ford rushed the vehicle, as we all know it to counter the Camaro debut. They didn't have enough time to test the new engine the new MT82. Why as consumers, do we have to suffer on the expense of others? They took your money, and sold you a faulty product. That's not a way to do business. Even though a warranty is set in place, there's no official fix. You have to deal with day to day operations of a faulty vehicle because of poor quality control/design. For all those that aren't having issues now, who knows what happens in the next 5, 10 thousand miles.

$40,000 is a lot of money to just sit on while the engineers are "working". I expect my products to work, just like the rest of business world around us. If something doesn't operate to our standards, we take it back. I wish it was that easy with cars. However, I know that majority of new models will have a few quirks here and there. You spoke of one issue, the mustang has multiple. Engine tick, transmission grinding, transmission whining, suspension parts failing due to poor quality (a lot of people have been complaining on this one especially the ones with brembo package, faulty lower control arms. I speak on the subject matter since the dealership I took it in had 3 different mustangs in it for the same issues, so they knew right away what it was). EDIT: And to back up my suspension claims, since no one believes anything on this board, here you go. Brand new 2012 GT http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...ntrol-arm.html

Ford has lost its touch. F150 recalls, fusion recalls and so on. Quality isn't the prime concern. Back in the day? Of course, quality was one thing it stood for. I can assure you that my previous two cars, both being mustangs, have embedded a negative judgment on the company. Either it's my luck, or they build ****ty cars lately. And we all know how many people were affected in 05-09 water leaks, some catastrophic ones too. So trying to make excuses for such a big corporation isn't going to cut it. Stand behind your product, officially come out and state that there is an issue and that you're working on it. That's how you stand behind your brand and encourage your future/current consumers to return to your product. Not this.

'I have no dates or in detail information about what the engineers are doing in regards to the 2011 transmission concerns. All I can say is that, I know it is a fact that they are working on it. They have also looked over this thread. Once I get any more info I will let you all know. In the mean time, please continue to work with your dealer and Kathleen.

Deysha"

Same crap we been hearing from a customer rep for 10 months instead of the head of engineering reassuring us.

Last edited by ssimaniac; 5/24/11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 5/24/11, 12:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Buddy, that's not our problem as the consumer. As a consumer, we expect a product to work. You don't go buy an electronic shaver only to cut your head off with it, due to engineering error. We expect the cars to work without any major issues. Otherwise, we leave the brand behind and go after something that will not kill us. Ford rushed the vehicle, as we all know it to counter the Camaro debut. They didn't have enough time to test the new engine the new MT82. Why as consumers, do we have to suffer on the expense of others? They took your money, and sold you a faulty product. That's not a way to do business. Even though a warranty is set in place, there's no official fix. You have to deal with day to day operations of a faulty vehicle because of poor quality control/design. For all those that aren't having issues now, who knows what happens in the next 5, 10 thousand miles.

$40,000 is a lot of money to just sit on while the engineers are "working". I expect my products to work, just like the rest of business world around us. If something doesn't operate to our standards, we take it back. I wish it was that easy with cars. However, I know that majority of new models will have a few quirks here and there. You spoke of one issue, the mustang has multiple. Engine tick, transmission grinding, transmission whining, suspension parts failing due to poor quality (a lot of people have been complaining on this one especially the ones with brembo package, faulty lower control arms. I speak on the subject matter since the dealership I took it in had 3 different mustangs in it for the same issues, so they knew right away what it was). EDIT: And to back up my suspension claims, since no one believes anything on this board, here you go. Brand new 2012 GT http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...ntrol-arm.html

Ford has lost its touch. F150 recalls, fusion recalls and so on. Quality isn't the prime concern. Back in the day? Of course, quality was one thing it stood for. I can assure you that my previous two cars, both being mustangs, have embedded a negative judgment on the company. Either it's my luck, or they build ****ty cars lately. And we all know how many people were affected in 05-09 water leaks, some catastrophic ones too. So trying to make excuses for such a big corporation isn't going to cut it. Stand behind your product, officially come out and state that there is an issue and that you're working on it. That's how you stand behind your brand and encourage your future/current consumers to return to your product. Not this.

'I have no dates or in detail information about what the engineers are doing in regards to the 2011 transmission concerns. All I can say is that, I know it is a fact that they are working on it. They have also looked over this thread. Once I get any more info I will let you all know. In the mean time, please continue to work with your dealer and Kathleen.

Deysha"

Same crap we been hearing from a customer rep for 10 months instead of the head of engineering reassuring us.
So, OOC, what would be YOUR solution to these problems that you bring up? It is obvious that Ford does not have what it considers a fix yet and there is no time frame for the solution. So, you are put in charge of finding solutions for people such as yourself.
Old 5/24/11, 12:24 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if the cars are such "crap" as you claim, then why in the blue hell do you keep buying them?

Do yourself and us a favor and go buy a car from another manufacturer who doesn't make crap cars.

We both know the reality is most of the problems you are experiencing are in your head or operator error. Any legit issue you might've had has been blown out of proportion to the nth degree. Only you can't admit it now because you've painted yourself into a corner.
Old 5/24/11, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
if the cars are such "crap" as you claim, then why in the blue hell do you keep buying them?

Do yourself and us a favor and go buy a car from another manufacturer who doesn't make crap cars.

We both know the reality is most of the problems you are experiencing are in your head or operator error. Any legit issue you might've had has been blown out of proportion to the nth degree. Only you can't admit it now because you've painted yourself into a corner.
Go away troll. You have nothing useful or intelligent to bring into a discussion. You sound very uneducated and your perception is greatly skewed.

Last edited by ssimaniac; 5/24/11 at 12:44 PM.
Old 5/24/11, 12:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timeless
So, OOC, what would be YOUR solution to these problems that you bring up? It is obvious that Ford does not have what it considers a fix yet and there is no time frame for the solution. So, you are put in charge of finding solutions for people such as yourself.

Have you ever studied marketing? Whenever a consumer complains to an organization, customer service is critical to avoid driving away the current/future customers. Word of mouth is everything and with internet these days, words spread like wildfire.

Have you ever bought a product that you spent an ideal amount of money on, only for it to be faulty? Yes? Did you call customer service and complain? What was the outcome?

I can give you my example for something very simple. I ordered a pair of contact lenses from 1-800 contacts. A year supply, $200 dollars. No biggie. I've been using a specific brand for about 2 years and I was quite content with them. In the last 5 months, I had 2 brand new contacts torn with only a second in my eye. I thought perhaps it was just me and just ignored it. A month later, I had another contact tear brand new from the same batch. I gave a call to the 1800 contacts and the way I was treated is the reason that I will do business with them for the rest of my life. They didn't even bother to ask what was the problem, why it happened and so on. They just explained that sometimes a box can be faulty and they apologized beyond the norm. Instantly, the customer service rep ordered a brand new box, free of charge and free next day delivery. That's how you take care of your customers and not take them for granted.

If we spent $40,000 on these cars and they're crapping out and becoming a driving hazard, replace the vehicles immediately with brand new ones. Here's Ford, posting the most profitable numbers on their income statements in history, yet they can't handle a "small" (per TSM members) issue like this. If customer retention is important for Ford, they would have stood up behind their product and went above and beyond to make people happy. What did they do? They blame it on mods, in most cases people put aftermarket exhaust and CAI + Tune (I done neither and I had the same issues as others), voided their warranties and ran away from truth. Once they were exposed through online news article, they came out saying they were aware of the issues and fixing it. Why not make an official statement to reassure your customers? I'm sure they lost tons of business with new orders since people don't want to gamble with that much money.

They should have stood behind their product and reassured all of us. They should given everyone 7 year 100k warranty and more. They should let us know what is the issue and what the possible causes could be. There's no customer relationship if they don't communicate with us. Which of course, has been 0 with Ford.

Am I really asking for too much? Put yourself in my shoes; You just purchased a big investment to avoid headaches and have a peace of mind, only to be annoyed by multiple abnormalities. Would you be cool about it? I've been cool till now. I just share my sentiments with online forums. That's what they're there for. Other trolls come out and sniff it, than spin it in every which way.

Last edited by ssimaniac; 5/24/11 at 12:48 PM.
Old 5/24/11, 12:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deysha"

Sorry, I'm not your buddy, so do away with the pleasantries.

Engineers don't go by what you say. They don't sit around and say "Ima ******* on one of the forums is complaining about his trans, let's go see what's wrong". They look at warranty claims, statistical analysis, and a variety of other tools. You can't make knee jerk repairs in no time when millions of dollars are at stake. It just doesn't work this way. Maybe there's a fix in the works thats going through validation right now, and only a select few know about it. Ever thought of that? Seems to me your impatient, whiny attitude has taken over, instead of trying to understand the gravity of the situation.

Second, where are you getting your info? Do you know someone at Ford that told you they were rushed into production? If not, STFU. Ignorant, false claims with no reference to back it up are why people are sick of hearing you on this board.

Ford has lost its touch? Are you kidding me? So, JD Power, Consumer Reports, and all of the major auto news articles are full of it, right? Ford's quality has been on the upswing for the past 3-4 years, and there are countless studies that prove it.

After reading your countless rants about nothing, I've figured it out..you're a cyberchondriac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberchondria

Do us all a favor and go buy another non-Ford product, and go away from these boards.
Old 5/24/11, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Overboost
Sorry, I'm not your buddy, so do away with the pleasantries.

Engineers don't go by what you say. They don't sit around and say "Ima ******* on one of the forums is complaining about his trans, let's go see what's wrong". They look at warranty claims, statistical analysis, and a variety of other tools. You can't make knee jerk repairs in no time when millions of dollars are at stake. It just doesn't work this way. Maybe there's a fix in the works thats going through validation right now, and only a select few know about it. Ever thought of that? Seems to me your impatient, whiny attitude has taken over, instead of trying to understand the gravity of the situation.

Second, where are you getting your info? Do you know someone at Ford that told you they were rushed into production? If not, STFU. Ignorant, false claims with no reference to back it up are why people are sick of hearing you on this board.

Ford has lost its touch? Are you kidding me? So, JD Power, Consumer Reports, and all of the major auto news articles are full of it, right? Ford's quality has been on the upswing for the past 3-4 years, and there are countless studies that prove it.

After reading your countless rants about nothing, I've figured it out..you're a cyberchondriac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberchondria

Do us all a favor and go buy another non-Ford product, and go away from these boards.

Thanks for the useless input and immature insults. You too sound like an immature hick without any educational background. You speak about things that make no sense and pull crap out of your *** because you're a Ford loyalist. I'm not here to convince you about a **** thing. If you have nothing useful to say, stay away from my threads. I don't come in yours so don't come post in mine. You do your research, and I will do mine. You bring nothing insightful nor useful in any way. You just seem like an immature jerk without any regards for others, in other words, an egotistic maniac. You don't understand the issues that others are having.

If my car was flawless, I would hear out everyone elses concerns and back them up, since corporations feed off of those and especially when they don't stand behind their product. Obviously you're inexperienced with Ford so I have nothing further to say to you. You complain about Mazda but you don't let others complain about Ford.

And who are you to tell me to go away? Get a life.

Last edited by ssimaniac; 5/24/11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 5/24/11, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva

My guess is they bought them because of Fords stellar reputation of late with quality. They have been the media darling ever since they didnt take a bail out. I even thought they days were over about worrying about a first year redesign but it appears I was wrong.

When you have a engine or transmission issue its not like the glove box is rattling. Its a big deal. For those of you with out trouble good on ya. But be careful. It just might come back to bite you down the road. That is why I have lost all desire for a 11+ Mustang.

As for your suggestion that these people dont know how to drive a manual transmission give me a break. Most are previous Mustang owners. These cars are brand new. I have taught countless people how to drive manual transmission cars on wore out S10's, Hondas and a Toyota or two and never once did anybody hurt them. All of the sudden people buying 35K Mustangs dont know how to drive.

The worst part of all of this is that there is no fix yet. I dont anticipate one either to be honest. Wait till somebody pulls out in front of someone and can shift and gets rear ended and hurt. Thats when the ^%$# will really hit the fan.
Old 5/24/11, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevys
My guess is they bought them because of Fords stellar reputation of late with quality. They have been the media darling ever since they didnt take a bail out. I even thought they days were over about worrying about a first year redesign but it appears I was wrong.

When you have a engine or transmission issue its not like the glove box is rattling. Its a big deal. For those of you with out trouble good on ya. But be careful. It just might come back to bite you down the road. That is why I have lost all desire for a 11+ Mustang.

As for your suggestion that these people dont know how to drive a manual transmission give me a break. Most are previous Mustang owners. These cars are brand new. I have taught countless people how to drive manual transmission cars on wore out S10's, Hondas and a Toyota or two and never once did anybody hurt them. All of the sudden people buying 35K Mustangs dont know how to drive.

The worst part of all of this is that there is no fix yet. I dont anticipate one either to be honest. Wait till somebody pulls out in front of someone and can shift and gets rear ended and hurt. Thats when the ^%$# will really hit the fan.
Don't even bother, you will get attacked by loyalists as they try to get rid of you. Everyone is crazy that reports issues since their cars are flawless for now. Multiple news sources are calling out Ford, hell, even the FORD REP HAS REPEATEDLY SAID THAT THE ENGINEERS ARE WELL AWARE OF THE ISSUES AND ARE WORKING ON A FIX. I guess they're crazy too, and they don't know how to operate a vehicle. People are reporting with over 40 years of driving manual cars with the same symptoms as others. I have been driving manual cars for 10 years, this is nothing new. I'm not flying a new B2 bomber.

But no, go away is the main welcome message on these boards. Hysterical.

Last edited by ssimaniac; 5/24/11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 5/24/11, 01:54 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go away troll. You have nothing useful or intelligent to bring into a discussion. You sound very uneducated and your perception is greatly skewed.
LOL I'm a troll? Look at my join date. I've actually been here since when Brad first started the site as a college project, but lost my previous data in the crash. Point is, I've been here long before you and I'll be here long after you're gone.

Originally Posted by chevys

Sorry, I'm still not convinced these issues are as major or widespread as you believe. And until I see some evidence I won't be. And I'm not saying everybody who has theses issues can't drive, I'm saying he probably can't

Oh wait, my bad chevys. I'm not supposed to reply to you since ssimaniac, the very guy you're trying to help, says your opinion doesn't matter since you don't own 2011+ mustang. His words, not mine
Old 5/24/11, 02:20 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
This is closed, tired of the negativity.