The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Few laps around Grattan Raceway in Michigan (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/few-laps-around-grattan-raceway-michigan-538724/)

5.M0NSTER 9/6/15 07:42 PM

Few laps around Grattan Raceway in Michigan

Hey everyone, I just finished an AWESOME track day with 3 Balls Racing at Grattan raceway. I got over 90 minutes of seat time today, and I'm spent and happy. :D

Great event, well organized, no major crashes, good weather and the track is frikkin awesome. As always, lots of cool cars worth drooling over.

I knocked off 1.5s of my best lap time from last year. I was at 1:34.7 before, and today I got 4 laps in the 1:33 rage, with be best being 1:33.2. Topped off at 133mph too. :metal: Feel great about that on street tires. Here is a video of a few laps.

5.M0NSTER 9/7/15 02:06 PM

7 Attachment(s)
And I was too tired to add pics last night, so here are a few of the cool cars!

5.M0NSTER 9/7/15 02:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And a few of my car

tom281 9/7/15 03:58 PM

Few laps around Grattan Raceway in Michigan

Awesome!

redonblackpony 9/7/15 07:00 PM

Why are your tires squealing so much?

5.M0NSTER 9/7/15 09:49 PM

Because race car! :D

Street tires scream a lot on the sealer they have. Slicks and R compounds are pretty quiet on this track.

redonblackpony 9/7/15 10:04 PM

Just wondering. I run street tires at the track as well. The only time my tires are squealing is when I lose grip.
Maybe the track surfaces very widely?

5.M0NSTER 9/8/15 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by redonblackpony (Post 6945268)
Just wondering. I run street tires at the track as well. The only time my tires are squealing is when I lose grip.
Maybe the track surfaces very widely?

I think you're right about track surface. :nice: In the video it's pretty clear the tires really start screaming on the blacktop sealer. On the lighter areas of the track they are a bit more normal sounding. It was kinda nice though because you could tell the onset of oversteer on corner exits based on how the tires sounded. Same with understeer on entry and near the apex.

I spoke to a guy whom I saw there last year, and this year he was wearing scrubs. He said he couldn't belive how much time he shaved per lap thanks to tires alone. Something like 4s per lap. :drool:

redonblackpony 9/8/15 05:54 PM

On street tires you can definitely tell by the way they sound what's going on. Obviously different track services are going to make the tires perform and sound different.
R compound tires are not going to give the same feedback as far as them squalling at the edge of grip. And yes, they will shave 3 to 4 seconds off a lap time with new tires.
It's always nice to see a fellow mustang enthusiast tracking his/her car. I enjoy making a "non-track"car track worthy! Suspension, brakes and tires are the key.

5.M0NSTER 9/8/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by redonblackpony (Post 6945373)
R compound tires are not going to give the same feedback as far as them squalling at the edge of grip. And yes, they will shave 3 to 4 seconds off a lap time with new tires.
It's always nice to see a fellow mustang enthusiast tracking his/her car. I enjoy making a "non-track"car track worthy! Suspension, brakes and tires are the key.

You got it. It doesn't take much to make our cars quick at the track, which is one of the things that swayed me to get a Mustang :metal:. Brakes and tires are most important, and then suspension as you said. This is the order I did things in, and now next year I'll be upgrading suspension. :devil:

Nice profile pic. what track is that at?

redonblackpony 9/8/15 06:57 PM

That pic was taken at Willow Springs international Raceway. 2.5 Miles and only nine turns. Fast track. That's in Southern California

redonblackpony 9/8/15 07:37 PM

Heres a video of The new GT350 at grattan
Something to lust after😎

5.M0NSTER 9/8/15 08:26 PM

Nice. I watched Randy Pobst drive lots of Mustangs/Camaros at that track for head to head comparos. So cool you get to drive there!

Wow, thanks for posting. That second lap was ~1:27 by my calculations. That's 6 seconds faster than my best time. Wow. :eek: Plus it sounds heavenly :al:

redonblackpony 9/8/15 08:42 PM

Yes the new GT350R is a beast!
There are several Willow Springs tracks. Here is a video of me at streets of Willow. 1.8 mile and 14 turns.
Tires lost grip near the end of the video and I spun out.

5.M0NSTER 9/9/15 09:25 AM

Nice driving, and your car sounds awesome! Are those Roush AB's?

Spinouts mean you're pushing, and pushing is the only way to get better. I have had my share as well.

Interesting observation, you alternate between shuffle steering and 10-2 driving. I noticed I was doing the same thing at my last 2 events, and I'm trying to correct myself and just do 10-2. I don't shuffle steer normally, and it's a lot easier for me to do quick overseer corrections when my hands are at 10 and 2.

redonblackpony 9/9/15 02:12 PM

Good observation with the steering input. Believe me I try to keep my hands at 10 and two. Lol
My exhaust is Borla ATAK.

5.M0NSTER 9/12/15 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by redonblackpony (Post 6945515)
Good observation with the steering input. Believe me I try to keep my hands at 10 and two. Lol
My exhaust is Borla ATAK.

I really need to find a better place to mount my phone, or just shell out the cash for a helmet mounted go pro to get better feedback about my steering and pedal inputs from the track community.

I finally got to watch your video at home with my good set of Altec Lansing speakers. I thought my car sounds good with the GT500 ABs, but WOW, your car with Borlas sounds frikking AWESOME!! :nice::metal:

I may have to start saving up for a set! ;)

redonblackpony 9/12/15 08:11 PM

Hey thanks for all the compliments.
My car will be four years old in December. My first mod was the Borla ATAKs. I couldn't afford them today, at $850. But I never regret buying them especially at full throttle!