2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Exiting the CAI club...

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/18, 09:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exiting the CAI club...

New to me 2012 Brembo. Great car. Previous owner took great care of it. Came with a few interesting mods. For me it is a toy, and a track day / Auto-X car.

If I was still 25, I would have left the Flowmasters on. Dude! Those things were ridiculous. I loved firing the thing up in the AM, but after 20 minutes of driving, I wanted to shoot the horse. Back to stock that the previous owner was kind enough to keep.

Undid the tint because the track frowns on that. The guys at the tint shop couldn't believe it, as it was a nice job.So that was a hundo with tip.

Ripped out the suspension, and gave her some new Bilsteins, and some P coils. Huge improvement.

.Came with a tuner and a Bama tune. Thing runs strong with the 92 tune on. Not so clean with the 87. So I am having them do a retune.

Anyway, motor is stock, stock, stock. Came with a nice C&L intake thing. I am about done messing with stupid cone filters, and not super stoked about how the design of that unit requires translating the MAF tables. So I am going back to the stock intake with high quality dry filter, and just going to have them tune around that. I would prefer a really clean runner with no dips or gaps to ultimate power, although I realize the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The stock intake design seems VERY efficient. And I actually like where it draws air from better.

Not sure if there is a question here, except:
- has anybody else gone this way?
- Is there a rectangle gasket that goes between the MAF sensor and the stock plastic intake?

Another fun night of taking cars apart. More updates as we decide on wheels to go with our 275/40-19 setup, and get some feedback from upcoming track day next month.

Thanks all...
The following users liked this post:
Fawls (4/30/18)
Old 4/27/18, 01:26 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the Air Raid tube that goes from stock airbox to stock throttle body. I also replaced the C&L sticker with an oval Ford logo so it looks stock.

This isn't a pic of my car, but it looks pretty much like this.
Imagine a chrome Ford logo there in place of the yellow sticker.
I can't tell if that is the stock airbox cover or an Air Raid one.
I have the stock airbox cover.

I also have the Ford 91 ProCal tune which came with a replacement panel filter (K&N I think).

Last edited by VIP1; 4/27/18 at 01:33 AM.
Old 4/27/18, 04:05 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Most of the fun of owing a Mustang is making it your own. Lots of aftermarket add on parts you can buy, to your taste. You can take your 6 year old Mustang and 'make it your own'
Old 4/27/18, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by David Young
Most of the fun of owing a Mustang is making it your own. Lots of aftermarket add on parts you can buy, to your taste. You can take your 6 year old Mustang and 'make it your own'
You know, that's about the kindest and classiest reply I could have imagined.Obviously Southern bred. Thanks man. You brought out the "Barbie" wisdom. We all like to play dress-up with our little toys.

Not sure exactly what I was looking for by putting it out there. Just sharing the random thoughts and multiple solution of bringing a car around.

In retrospect, I think the title was a little like the eternal web arguments. 9 vs 45, what kind of oil, and all that...

:-)
Old 4/27/18, 10:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Lol ... I'm guessing you're an older guy ... definitely not a 20-something ... am I right?
Old 4/27/18, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gabe
Lol ... I'm guessing you're an older guy ... definitely not a 20-something ... am I right?
Yeah, that's about right.

I like your vehicle mods. I am actually going to chat with Whipple at SEMA this year.

My take is that if you are going to go after horsepower, don't jerk off around the edges... Go big.
Old 4/27/18, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 759Rider

Another fun night of taking cars apart. More updates as we decide on wheels to go with our 275/40-19 setup, and get some feedback from upcoming track day next month.

Thanks all...
I used the square 275/40-19 setup for track days too for a few years. Which tire did you go with? I used the Bridgestone Potenza S04 with really good results.

Lat year I swapped to 275/35-19 so I can use stickier rubber. I think it was a good decision, lap times got better. The other setup was easier on the wallet though.
Old 4/27/18, 11:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, that's about right.

I like your vehicle mods. I am actually going to chat with Whipple at SEMA this year.

My take is that if you are going to go after horsepower, don't jerk off around the edges... Go big.

Thanks. I love my Whipple.
I just wish I wasn't afraid to buy a used GT500 back in 2012 when I was looking for a Mustang.
A blue/white-stripes GT500 would look awesome next to my wife's white/blue-stripes GT500
Old 4/27/18, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I used the square 275/40-19 setup for track days too for a few years. Which tire did you go with? I used the Bridgestone Potenza S04 with really good results.

Lat year I swapped to 275/35-19 so I can use stickier rubber. I think it was a good decision, lap times got better. The other setup was easier on the wallet though.
Hey, thank you so much for the note. Can you please let me know what wheel width you ended up with. I am looking at the 10" LS wheels from AM. The offset is perfect. Or I could go with 9.5" if 10" seems like too much stretch, which I don't think it is.

The car came with a set of unmounted Conti Contacts that will get mounted as a second set, and turn into blue smoke before settling on a final tire. So that's fun.

Unsure on tires. I am not so focused on ultimate lap times as I am on a tire that runs consistent for 20 minutes sessions and doesn't get greasy. The weight and speed of the Mustang really have me worried about that as I was cooking tires pretty good on my much lighter (and slower) E46 by the end of a session. So any feedback there is appreciated as well.

edit: my apologies, I see you have 9.5". Would another .5" seem silly?

Last edited by 759Rider; 4/27/18 at 11:54 AM.
Old 4/27/18, 12:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

275's fit perfectly on 10"-wide wheels.
No stretch, no bulge.
Old 4/27/18, 12:57 PM
Banned

Hey, thank you so much for the note. Can you please let me know what wheel width you ended up with. I am looking at the 10" LS wheels from AM. The offset is perfect. Or I could go with 9.5" if 10" seems like too much stretch, which I don't think it is.

The car came with a set of unmounted Conti Contacts that will get mounted as a second set, and turn into blue smoke before settling on a final tire. So that's fun.

Unsure on tires. I am not so focused on ultimate lap times as I am on a tire that runs consistent for 20 minutes sessions and doesn't get greasy. The weight and speed of the Mustang really have me worried about that as I was cooking tires pretty good on my much lighter (and slower) E46 by the end of a session. So any feedback there is appreciated as well.

edit: my apologies, I see you have 9.5". Would another .5" seem silly?
10" will be just fine like Gabe said, and it gives you an option to go 285/35 if you ever choose to go that route. Not sure what LS wheels weigh, but this is a good place to save on some unsprung rotating mass which makes breaking and accelerating easier.

I can recommend the S04 or Pilot SS as great options for consistent performance. If you track it in 95+ weather they are bound to get greasy, but what can you do.

I would recommend brake pad upgrades for sure. These cars are fast and heavy, so that's a lot of energy to dissipate and convert to heat.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/27/18 at 12:58 PM.
Old 4/27/18, 01:25 PM
Banned

Oh, and and there is actually a sub forum for track related discussion which you may find useful.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f660/

Welcome to TMS!
Old 4/27/18, 01:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes, definitely upgrade the brake pads, even on a Brembo car.
And highly recommended to do a brake fluid flush with some DOT4 fluid
Old 4/27/18, 03:16 PM

Yes, definitely upgrade the brake pads, even on a Brembo car.
And highly recommended to do a brake fluid flush with some DOT4 fluid
Gracias on the wheel info, and roger that on the brake fluid. Yes Hawk pads. My bride (accountant and sponsor) is going to kill me.

Her: What's this Amazon charge for $850?
Me: Mustang needed new suspension
Her: It did not NEED new suspension.
Me: Well, it definitely WANTED new suspension...

Last edited by 759Rider; 4/27/18 at 03:18 PM.
Fawls (4/30/18)
Old 4/27/18, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hahaha ... I know that kind of conversations all too well ....

I used Motul DOT4 fluid and I like it.
I actually need to flush again since it's been over a year and DOT4 or higher I have read that it needs yearly flushing ...
Old 4/27/18, 03:33 PM
Banned

Lol, I have the same conversation with my savings account annually. My wife is cool with car parts budgets, but I have to fight my save every penny alter ego. But after a few we generally come to an agreement on allocation to the hobby.

Motul RBF 600 is great and not too terribly pricey, Castrol SRF is the best. Same wet and dry boiling point and they recommend 2 year flush interval. Extra bonus. About to get it flushed for the next 2 seasons. Check the boiling point, you want something in the 580F + range. Particularly since the clutch and brake fluid reservoir is one and the same on our cars.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/27/18 at 03:34 PM.
Old 4/27/18, 03:40 PM
Banned

Oh hey, one side note. There may be one interesting side effect of CAI + tune to consider before you get it all off the car.

I like shifting by sound. With the stock airbox and factory 6800 rpm redline the car sounded identical at 6300 and 6800. I have the Steeda CAI (which retains the factory air draw loaction, actual COLD air) and 7200 rmp redline with 93 octane tunne. Well, right around 7000 rpm the engine now emits this metallic rasp, which helps me shift by sound. Cool bonus to extra HP and TQ.
Old 4/27/18, 04:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
.... Check the boiling point, you want something in the 580F + range. Particularly since the clutch and brake fluid reservoir is one and the same on our cars.

Not on ALL our cars

Old 4/27/18, 05:07 PM
Banned

Not on ALL our cars

well played sir, well played.
Gabe (4/27/18)
Old 4/28/18, 08:14 PM

OK. Can I share where I ended up?

i picked up the 19x9.5 SVE Drift wheels for a screaming price on LMR. Sale, coupon, etc...

Them I ordered up a set of the PS91s on super special. 275/40-19. I know, I know. Very average tire, but I have used them before, and they are more than adequate for the occasional track day. I would actually be super stoked if I got a year out of them, so that’s a pretty low bar.

Tack on on a set of new Motorcraft TPMS from eBay, and I am sitting an about 1G mounted and ready to go.

The bride was very understanding after I explained all the money I saved. She is used to four digit bills for just tires from our big trucks and Jeep so that much for a whole package was easier. It’s all about setting expectations.

The next thing is one of those $200 GT500 steering wheels. My little car is a base model and the plastic overmold is delaminating from the inner rim. Yeah...

Still trying to figure out the seats. The whole airbag thing complicates things. We have some very good upholstery shops here, but exploring other options.

Last edited by 759Rider; 4/28/18 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Exiting the CAI club...