2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Exhaust systems?

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/10, 09:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exhaust systems?

I don't mean for this to be a re-post, if so, just let me know. Same if I posted in the wrong place.

I know the new exhaust is supposed to be pretty decent and that's great but in all truth, most will end up replacing it. I have listened to Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Borla and Rousch on Mustangs, not necessarily the 2011 on all. So I am just wondering what everyone thinks about axle back systems and what their preference might be.

I enjoy the deep throaty sound from Flowmaster, but seems a bit redneck. Borla is a top teir option, always enjoy any system they build. From what Rousch I have heard, it is a little too poppy for my taste but LOVE the start up! Let's put it this way, I don't want austentatious, as in, I don't want to sound like the little dog with a big bark. Make sense?

I don't want LOUD, just aggressive. That's just me personally. Anyone's thoughts and opinions will count and help, unless overly rediculous. I know Stinger is now sending his car over to Dynomax's way so that should be interesting also.

All this being said, Mustang's have always had the better sounding exhaust note, even from the factory, this comming from at one time a die hard bowtie'r.
Old 5/12/10, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can tell you the stock exhaust on my 2011 GT is WAY to quiet for me. I don't need it to be deafening, but at anything under half throttle you can barely hear it - even with the windows down.

I'm leaning towards a Borla when it comes out, I've liked the ones I've heard on 2010's.

Last edited by IT_Guru; 5/12/10 at 09:47 AM.
Old 5/12/10, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IT_Guru
I can tell you the stock exhaust on my 2011 GT is WAY to quiet for me. I don't need it to be deafening, but at anything under half throttle you can barely hear it - even with the windows down.

I'm leaning towards a Borla when it comes out, I've liked the ones I've heard on 2010's.
the stock exhaust is a straw after the cats. SLP loudmouth. bullet mufflers rule for max power.

Last edited by assasinator; 5/12/10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 5/12/10, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by assasinator
the stock exhaust is a straw after the cats. borla loudmouth. bullet mufflers rule for max power.
So you think cat back will be alot better than axle backs? Doesnt look to be that much more money -at least for the 2010's.

How loud are the loudmouth, am I going to scare little old ladies? Just want people to turn their heads when they hear me, not run scared.

Last edited by IT_Guru; 5/12/10 at 09:54 AM.
Old 5/12/10, 09:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Magnaflow is the only vendor I'm aware of that is close to production/shipping. I don't have a Corsa account yet, but they should be close also... Personally I'm waiting on Borla S-type axle-back or the Ford Racing relabeled version.

Don't expect any performance gains on axle-backs, they're mainly for sound... cat-backs are more performance oriented.
Old 5/12/10, 09:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

OK, to clarify, I am not opposed to Cat Back systems either, probaly go that route anyway.
Old 5/12/10, 10:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Automagically
OK, to clarify, I am not opposed to Cat Back systems either, probaly go that route anyway.
I'm very happy with the Magnaflow cat-back dual I put on my '10 V6. Sounds good at idle, very good under load at about 4000rpm, and isn't offensive at all cruising. I can hear it, but just enough. I liked the Magnaflow kit because you don't see the mufflers.
Old 5/12/10, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have used Magnaflow on my old GMC, it was pretty tame, but it was a 1 in 2 out, cat back and dumped after the axle. Wasn't quite loud enough but it sounded deep. I know it's worlds different than the new 5.0L but hey, just my experience.
Old 5/12/10, 11:32 AM

I wanted a quiet cabin at cruising, with an aggressive note when on throttle and with out drone. Those were my specifications when chosing a brand. I went with corsa's on my 07 and still love them too this day. Corsa's are pretty expensive. All depends on what you want to achieve and what you are willing to spend.

The Borla S-type and Atak systems are pretty mean as well and I will look into them when they are available for the 11's
Old 5/12/10, 11:39 AM
eci
Banned

I paid $1500 for a Corsa catback on my G8.

Corsa > *

Loud when you want it, quiet when you don't. Don't make your Mustang sound like a POS fox body.
Old 5/12/10, 11:46 AM
Cobra R Member

If you're going to go catback. Borla ATAK is pretty sweet from what I heard... and it's all new tech.
Borla vid - (with camaro... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dTdAyoZkI)
For the 2011 tho it should be out soon I'd imagine...

But I've thoroughly enjoyed my stingers And they do offer a slight increase in performance from what I felt.
Old 5/12/10, 12:08 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,339 Posts
Be Advised the 2011 Mufflers appear to Bolt on a Bit Different than Prior Models.

https://themustangsource.com/newthre...ewthread&f=700

Last edited by 05stangkc; 5/12/10 at 12:22 PM.
Old 5/12/10, 12:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Be Advised the 2011 Mufflers appear to Bolt on a Bit Different than Prior Models.
Just to elaborate that point:

All 2010 Mustang GT Axle Back or Catback Exhaust Systems will NOT simply bolt on the 2011 Mustang GT's.

Axle Back

Problem? Ford changed the way the Axle Back Exhaust bolts up to the over the axle pipes. Their using a Ball and Socket type flange connection instead of the traditional S197 Slip fit, which is actually much better for preventing leaks.

Quick Fix: Any local exhaust shop can modify the over the axle pipes so the axle back pipe can be adapted to the Axle Back!

Fix: Direct Fit 2011 specific axle back exhaust kits are expected to hit the market over the next couple of months!

Catback/H-Pipe

Problem? Just like you read above but worse... The Catback Exhaust or Off-Road X or H-Pipe have NO chance of bolting up. Ford completely changed everything starting with the new Shorty Header, it's a lot longer then the traditional block hugging exhaust manifold. The longer collector on the shorty header shifts everything down lower including the catalytic converters.

After the converters it has 2.25" Exhaust Pipe (it was done to help with the low end torque) leading to the new style H-Pipe, which is almost a direct copy of the GT500KR H-Pipe (KR stands for King Of The Road (it was done for sound purposes), it continues with 2.25" Pipping then it progressively gets bigger to 2.5" going into the exhaust resonators (The Drivers side resonator is squashed a little on the bottom side, I'm assuming for extra clearance), which are located towards the back of the vehicle. Coming out of the resonators the 2.5" pipping continues up and over the Axle. The over the axle pipes are squashed on both sides before connecting to the stock mufflers!

Quick Fix: Custom Catback Exhaust System, but only if it can be done with mandrel bends

Fix: Direct Fit 2011 specific catback exhaust kits are expected to hit the market in the next three months!

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=482660
Old 5/12/10, 12:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
If you're going to go catback. Borla ATAK is pretty sweet from what I heard... and it's all new tech.
Borla vid - (with camaro... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dTdAyoZkI)
For the 2011 tho it should be out soon I'd imagine...

But I've thoroughly enjoyed my stingers And they do offer a slight increase in performance from what I felt.
I didn't catch or haven't looked at your specs thoroughly but did you use a cat back on your 2010?

Thanks for the heads up on the other advice about the 2010's not being a replacement, I didn't assume so and read a similar post by Evo. Just really looking for people's experiences and just want a solid exhaust system that, as eci noted, does NOT sound like a Fox body. Not hating, just stating.
Old 5/12/10, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kahdir
Magnaflow is the only vendor I'm aware of that is close to production/shipping. I don't have a Corsa account yet, but they should be close also... Personally I'm waiting on Borla S-type axle-back or the Ford Racing relabeled version.

Don't expect any performance gains on axle-backs, they're mainly for sound... cat-backs are more performance oriented.
I emailed Borla and they are in R&D now and said they should have something released within the next few weeks.
Old 5/12/10, 12:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I didn't catch or haven't looked at your specs thoroughly but did you use a cat back on your 2010?
I just went for the axleback, as I felt that's all these cars really needed to sound good. The lil extra kick i felt was just a bonus. I researched a ton too, but what finally sold me was just the depth of sound from the Borlas. It's a nice low, but stout rumble. Not crackly/poppy and overly obnoxious...

I should probably try and post a vid sometime

But yea, I'm def curious to see what the aftermarket can make the exhaust sound like on the 5.0 tho.
Old 5/12/10, 12:46 PM

I loved the SLP Loudmouth on my Corvette so I'll be getting it for my Mustang when they release it.

It's loud, mean and obnoxious.
Old 5/12/10, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
So you think cat back will be alot better than axle backs? Doesnt look to be that much more money -at least for the 2010's.

How loud are the loudmouth, am I going to scare little old ladies? Just want people to turn their heads when they hear me, not run scared.

IMO with the restriction after the cats, most of the power is going to be gained with either a high flow cat and x-pipe, or offroad x pipe.

a X will make it a lot louder just because of how they work.

loudmouth for me also.

x pipes also make more power than an H.

Last edited by assasinator; 5/12/10 at 01:00 PM.
Old 5/12/10, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mupepe
I loved the SLP Loudmouth on my Corvette so I'll be getting it for my Mustang when they release it.

It's loud, mean and obnoxious.

I know SLP has made great products for the Camaro, yeah yeah, back in 2001 I wanted an SS with Hurst short throw some kind of terrible. SLP intake and Exhaust would have been sweet music on the LS1. Too bad I was only 19.
Old 5/12/10, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

405rwhp is plenty for this car as a DD. EVERYONE who adds a few basic bolt ons and a tune wil break 400rwhp.

Quick Reply: Exhaust systems?