The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   The Exhaust shop threw away and scrapped my 5.0 stock exhaust!? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/exhaust-shop-threw-away-scrapped-my-5-0-stock-exhaust-494671/)

unas2k5 4/26/11 07:01 PM

The Exhaust shop threw away and scrapped my 5.0 stock exhaust!?

2012 Mustang 5.0.

I went to get the install and they installed full Stainless Works exhaust with LT, x pipe and catbacks. I then told them that I wanted to keep my stock exhaust. I put the stock mufflers and headers in the car and gave them my credit card information to pay to ship the remaining exhaust parts.

I kept calling them asking where my exhaust was and they finally returned my call with a voicemail letting me know that they scrapped and threw away my stock exhaust!

How much are the remaining worth? What would you do?

Sooo pissed off!:devil:

jetlag 4/26/11 07:24 PM

I probably wouldn't care. I don't think the stock exhaust is worth much.

Do you plan on putting the car back to stock?

11SHELBYGT500 4/26/11 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jetlag
I probably wouldn't care. I don't think the stock exhaust is worth much.

Do you plan on putting the car back to stock?

I came in here just because of your avatar. LOL

Timeless 4/26/11 07:45 PM

I am not sure why I kept my stockers...if you find out they are worth something let me know. :)

Adam 4/26/11 07:58 PM

If I could buy a used car with stock exhaust or a used car with aftermarket exhaust, I would want the one with stock exhaust. Why? I assume the person with aftermarket exhaust more likely ragged on the car. Might not necessary be true but it's my first thought. Not to mention aftermarket parts get pennies to the dollar once installed on the vehicle. You'd make more money parting it out.

I would look up the exhaust value, cut the number in half, and demand they credit the amount to my card. On the bright side, at least you won't have to store it.

brewsky54 4/26/11 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 6060506)
If I could buy a used car with stock exhaust or a used car with aftermarket exhaust, I would want the one with stock exhaust. Why? I assume the person with aftermarket exhaust more likely ragged on the car. Might not necessary be true but it's my first thought. Not to mention aftermarket parts get pennies to the dollar once installed on the vehicle. You'd make more money parting it out.

I would look up the exhaust value, cut the number in half, and demand they credit the amount to my card. On the bright side, at least you won't have to store it.

I totally agree. I would think, at a minimum, a scrap yard would pay you per pound on the metal content, x 50 pounds or so.

bob 4/26/11 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by brewsky54 (Post 6060557)
I totally agree. I would think, at a minimum, a scrap yard would pay you per pound on the metal content, x 50 pounds or so.

Stainless doesn't get you much at a recycler. Now if the exhaust was lead, brass, copper, or aluminum it'd be worth a few pennies more. The cats are where the money is at, and I'd bet real money the exhaust shop hacked the cats off and threw the rest in a pile to either be dumped or picked up in bulk later.

unas2k5 4/27/11 12:38 AM

I can't figure out how much they're worth...what do the cats cost?

If I have the mufflers and the headers what parts other then the cats and stock mid pipe am I missing?

Rather B.Blown 4/27/11 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 6060506)

I agree completely. Mods = abused to me when looking at a used car.

MRGTX 4/27/11 06:30 AM

As others have mentioned, the cost of the parts is less important than what the aftermarket parts do to the resale value of your car.

When I traded in my '09 GT, they insisted that I return the exhaust to stock before they took the car in.

But... the cats are definitely worth cash. At the very least, they owe you the scrap value.

DCS 4/27/11 01:09 PM

I'd be pissed just 'cause they didn't do it when I asked them.

I'm getting my car fitted with the CS grill and front fascia right off the transport and I've told the dealer I want to have the parts. In my case, I figure I can get something for them on Craigslist, and I assume the OP could get something there too.

AlsCobra 4/27/11 02:04 PM

Cats have platinum in them. We used to get $50 a piece for them. They didn't throw away your cats. They are gonna sell them I promise you.

karman 4/27/11 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra (Post 6061146)
Cats have platinum in them. We used to get $50 a piece for them. They didn't throw away your cats. They are gonna sell them I promise you.

+1
If you had written on the work order to keep the stock exhaust and ship it and they agreed to a price for shipping (or to ship it confirmed in writing), they would be liable for the parts.
If not, they are considered scrap and can do what they want with them.

Double-EDad 4/27/11 03:27 PM

Inconsiderate Bastards. :rant:

Automagically 4/27/11 03:46 PM

Your avatar has something coming out it's butt.

Originally Posted by Double-EDad (Post 6061204)
Inconsiderate Bastards. :rant:

Solid business move though.

eric n 8/9/11 02:21 PM

In CA there is a division of Consumer Affairs which could intercede on your behalf. I assume something similar exists in MI. If you gave them specific instructions then I would view this as theft. If you're ever planning on returning it to stock, new cats will cost you significant bucks. Try speaking with them and getting this resolved. If they refuse, contact which ever agency has regulates repair shops in your state.

unas2k5 8/11/11 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by eric n (Post 6119703)
In CA there is a division of Consumer Affairs which could intercede on your behalf. I assume something similar exists in MI. If you gave them specific instructions then I would view this as theft. If you're ever planning on returning it to stock, new cats will cost you significant bucks. Try speaking with them and getting this resolved. If they refuse, contact which ever agency has regulates repair shops in your state.

It was Stainless Works in OH... They said that if an 11 or 12 5.0 owner comes in that doesn't want their parts they would let me know. So far nothing... Thanks

Cur 8/11/11 10:27 AM

100% this.

Glenn 8/11/11 11:21 AM

What eric said and I would be pretty upset also. cats cost some bucks and also that shop probably did sell to a srapper or to another customer. Here in Il a shop cannot remove your cats without putting another cat in its place.

cdynaco 8/11/11 11:30 AM

Prob a meth head in the shop sold em for scrap. :bad:

btw Sam, didn't your #8 fail after this shop worked on your exhaust? Could they have screwed up an O2 sensor when they took the cats off that the ECU depends upon? :hmm:
Just thinking out loud... kind of a coincidence of events.