The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Dry Rot Tires on my 2011 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/dry-rot-tires-my-2011-a-533528/)

John GT 10/21/14 06:00 AM

Dry Rot Tires on my 2011

I noticed this past weekend that I have some dry rot on my tires. They are original equipment Michelin's with less than 35,000 miles on them.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Coyote5-0 10/21/14 06:23 AM

Its definitely possible with the age of the car/tires and how the tires were cared for, what environment they were kept in. For instance, if you occasionally put tire shine on the tires and then let it dry, that can accelerate dry rot. You have to keep applying the tire shine. (Although this is debated, its what I've observed).

I bet those tires are approaching 4 years old. I've seen tires start to dry rot after a year.

Glenn 10/21/14 06:38 AM

I wonder how the factory warranty works for this problem. Probably prorated. # yr old tires should not be dry rotting IMO

TripleBlack14 10/21/14 06:42 AM

How many miles are the tires rated for? The dry rot is a moot point if you're getting close to replacing them very soon anyway.

John GT 10/21/14 07:27 AM

We bought the car in October of 2010, so the tires are 4 years old. There is plenty of tread life left. The dry rot is on the sidewalls and in the groves between the treads.

I have used tire shine some, but not a bunch.

I'm going to a Michelin dealer this week to have them checked out. They said there is a chance that I might get a pro-rated credit on new tires since they are rated at 65,000 miles. Either way, I need to get new tires.

Any suggestions if I choose something other than Michelin?

Kestral 10/21/14 04:43 PM

I was talking to a tire shop owner the other day when I was getting tires for my truck and I asked him what is the most common problem you see with tires? He said he has more problem with Michlen tires with dry rot than anything ells! He said people come in with three year old M's and they have dry rot he has no idea why but that what he sees the most.

Flagstang 10/21/14 04:56 PM

I am pretty sure tires are only cover for the first 6 months or 10k miles.

Krohn 10/21/14 09:38 PM

We had new tires put on my wife's '02 Ford Escape in January '13. They were the original Michelins with around 100k on them... The manufactured date was 2001. They were starting to dry rot and separate at speeds above 70mph. However, they still had tread left! lol

laserred38 10/21/14 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Krohn (Post 6862228)
We had new tires put on my wife's '02 Ford Escape in January '13. They were the original Michelins with around 100k on them... The manufactured date was 2001. They were starting to dry rot and separate at speeds above 70mph. However, they still had tread left! lol

I'd say you got your use out of them. Idk why people buy Mustangs and expect tires to last years. Even on my old V6, I put a new set of tires on every year :lol: :chirp: :heh:

GrnT 10/21/14 10:11 PM

Don't tires sometimes sit many years before bought and used?

David Young 10/22/14 06:05 AM

I always check the 'date' the tires were made before i buy them. Its in the serial number. Just saying........:)

TripleBlack14 10/22/14 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by GrnT (Post 6862246)
Don't tires sometimes sit many years before bought and used?

Yes, and usually in cold, damp warehouses.

FordService 10/22/14 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by John GT (Post 6861940)
I noticed this past weekend that I have some dry rot on my tires. They are original equipment Michelin's with less than 35,000 miles on them.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Originally Posted by John GT (Post 6861969)
We bought the car in October of 2010, so the tires are 4 years old. There is plenty of tread life left. The dry rot is on the sidewalls and in the groves between the treads.

I have used tire shine some, but not a bunch.

I'm going to a Michelin dealer this week to have them checked out. They said there is a chance that I might get a pro-rated credit on new tires since they are rated at 65,000 miles. Either way, I need to get new tires.

Any suggestions if I choose something other than Michelin?

You’re always welcome to check with your Ford Dealer, John GT. Your service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha

Critical Mass 10/27/14 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kestral (Post 6862131)
I was talking to a tire shop owner the other day when I was getting tires for my truck and I asked him what is the most common problem you see with tires? He said he has more problem with Michlen tires with dry rot than anything ells! He said people come in with three year old M's and they have dry rot he has no idea why but that what he sees the most.

Might have to do with the sunflower seed oil they use in the compound for better grip.

My stock Focus Kumho tires started to dry-rot after 4 years on the car. Not the sidewalls, just the treads on all four sides. I replaced them with Continentals DWS. The Kumho's grip always sucked anyway. The Continentals were much better.