2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

To drill or not to drill

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/13, 05:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
Or....Move to Tennessee. We don't have front plates
Or Florida. We get our state tax dollars elswhere: from all the tourists that visit Disney World.
Old 9/20/13, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lajntx
Yes it is... Since they wont tax us. I guess they plan to fine and fee us to death.

The Guys on the Tesla Board are discussing this very thing.... One poster even commented that the DPS pulled him over for having his front plate in the windshield and gave him a warning to install it

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...-License-Plate

" Be advised that I have been pulled over by the DPS on US287 between WF and Bowie for having my license plate on the dash behind the windshield. It was even propped up to lay flat along the inside of the glass. No other reason for being pulled over (not speeding or anything else).

I got a warning for "improper display of license plate" or something like that. I mounted it that evening, and the next day the same cop pulled along side, checked to see that it was on, and gave me a thumbs-up when he saw that it was. "

That is correct. The license plate must be mounted on the FRONT of the car, not simply sitting inside the windshield.

Your previous article is incorrect in one aspect. Despite what the article said, DPS officers have been writing tickets with fines for no license plate all along, and the courts have enforced those fines. I've got the receipts to prove it.

Still don't have a front plate on my car though. I bought the hideaway one that AM sells only to find out that it will not mount on the front of a 2011-2012 V6.
Old 9/20/13, 02:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
That is correct. The license plate must be mounted on the FRONT of the car, not simply sitting inside the windshield. Your previous article is incorrect in one aspect. Despite what the article said, DPS officers have been writing tickets with fines for no license plate all along, and the courts have enforced those fines. I've got the receipts to prove it. Still don't have a front plate on my car though. I bought the hideaway one that AM sells only to find out that it will not mount on the front of a 2011-2012 V6.
I thought what AM was selling was universal fit for all.
Old 9/20/13, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
I thought what AM was selling was universal fit for all.
Yeah, that's what it claims.

However.......

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flipdo...te-manual.html

Go to the Reviews and Sort by Lowest Rating. I can confirm the 1st and 3rd reviewers comments are correct. The plastic air dam on the bottom is only 4 inches from the nose. Either you mount the bracket with the rear bolts only drilling through the bumper and then have it sticking out 3-6 inches in front of the car, or you have to cut the air dam. If the point is to avoid drilling then surely this is not an acceptable option.

After much searching I have concluded that there is no hideaway mount that will work on my car, so I'm going to resort to buying this:

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product...black-bracket/

Using that to pass inspection, and then remove it. At least that is a drill-free option.

Last edited by Moustang; 9/20/13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 9/20/13, 02:26 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My intention was, on my '12 V6, and still is on my '14 GT, to mount the hide-a-way kit in the lower grill.

Just have to be creative in your thinking.
Old 9/20/13, 02:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
My intention was, on my '12 V6, and still is on my '14 GT, to mount the hide-a-way kit in the lower grill.

Just have to be creative in your thinking.

The hideaway bracket is about a foot long from front to back and you'll need at least 6 inches to hide the plate itself. Are you planning on cutting a hole through your grill for it?
Old 9/20/13, 05:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moustang
The hideaway bracket is about a foot long from front to back and you'll need at least 6 inches to hide the plate itself. Are you planning on cutting a hole through your grill for it?
I have the kit already, it's not a foot long, bracket is about 8" long.

And yes, plan to cut a slot in the lower grill and fabbing some brackets to bolt the kit to, behind the grill. And then use a piece of aluminum angle, painted black, across the front of it to hide it when it is folded and stowed.

Shouldn't show much at all when stowed, all you will see is a black, thin, rectangular flat space in the upper edge of the lower grill.
Attached Thumbnails To drill or not to drill-hide-way-bracket-1.jpg   To drill or not to drill-hide-way-bracket.jpg