Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Disable Ignition Key-Door Open Chime on a 2011 ... YES !!

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/10, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Disable Ignition Key-Door Open Chime on a 2011 ... YES !!

Over the years I have disabled the "Key in Ignition & Door-Open Chime" on EVERY Ford car I've owned.

On '04 and prior, it was always a Black wire with Purple dots or stripe on it that needed to be either cut or disconnected.

However on my 2011, there are 6 wires going to the switch and none were Black/Purple.

Did some googling and found a 2009 Ford Truck owner that said the color of the wire on his truck that activates the chime is Blue with a Gray stripe.

Well guys & gals, there is a Blue with Gray stripe going to the '11 Mustang switch and sure enough removing it from the plug eliminated the silly chime.

After disconnecting this one wire and plugging the switch back in I Started car pulled out into driveway. Ran the diaignostic checks, played with other features and nothing else seemed to be affected by the removal of this wire ... lights on chime still works with key in or out of ignition.

How to do it ...

Remove the lower dash plastic (2- 7MM hex screws at bottom of dash)
Remove Steel lower dash plate (4- 10MM hex screws)
Remove Steering Collum Plastic Halves (3- T-20 Torx Screws, then two plastic tabs that hold the halves together toward the front must be pried apart)
Unplug switch (press tab)
Remove red cover on end of plug (carefully pry out with finger nail; 2 small bumps hold it in place)
The Blue-Gray wire is the 3rd from the bottom, in the #5 slot
With a flash light aimed inside the plug opening, release the tiny plastic tab that hold the wire terminal in the connector with a small pick)
Push wire out the back of the connector and cover it with electrical tape
Reinstall the red cover (terminal tab may need to be bent back, be carefull I broke mine off !!)
Plug Switch back in and test

Reinstall everything else in reverse order ... whole job takes 5-15 minutes total. Worst part for me was getting the right side tab to release on the steering collum covers.

If you ever want to re-activate the Key-In-Ignition Chime, just remove the red cap again and push this wire back into slot #5 and it is as if you never did anything.

Sorry that pictures aren't the best, but it gives you an idea what your looking for.
Pic 1 shows the red cover partially removed
Pic 2 shows the wire haflway puched out of the connector
Pic 3 shows it plugged back in with this wire removed and hanging there (not taped yet)

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Disable Ignition Key-Door Open Chime on a 2011 ... YES !!-disable-ign-key-chime-1.jpg   Disable Ignition Key-Door Open Chime on a 2011 ... YES !!-disable-ign-key-chime-2.jpg   Disable Ignition Key-Door Open Chime on a 2011 ... YES !!-disable-ign-key-chime-3.jpg  

Last edited by orange3.9stang; 9/16/10 at 11:17 AM.
Old 9/16/10, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!!!!

But I can only think of a handful of times throughout my life that I was annoyed by this warning. Usually my door is closed.
Old 9/16/10, 12:16 PM

Thanks very much for posting this! When I wash my car I always like to leave my door open on my car so I can listen to the stereo and usually end up getting annoyed by the chime and just close it, but this could be a great solution. Please update this thread if you end up with any issues because of the wire being pulled!
Old 9/16/10, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You've never wanted to sit in your car with the radio on and the door(s) open ??

Or your doing interior cleaning / vacuming and you want the radio on ??

Or you are working on something where you need the engine running and you want to leave the door open rather than constantly opening & closing it ??

Another solution could be to just interupt this wire with a switch that you mount under the dash ... this way you can turn it off when you want it off.

People who just "drive" cars ... never wash or clean them or do any maintenance themselves I can see sayining the door buzzer never annoys them, if anything they are glad it's there as they would be constantly locking their keys in the car.

99% (if not 100%) of the people who hang out on this web site are NOT this type or person and like me either disabled this key chime on cars in the past or always wanted to know HOW to do it.

Doug
Old 9/16/10, 12:22 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for this Doug!

Count me as one who is also more than annoyed with that awful chime!
Old 9/16/10, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
You've never wanted to sit in your car with the radio on and the door(s) open ??

Or your doing interior cleaning / vacuming and you want the radio on ??

Or you are working on something where you need the engine running and you want to leave the door open rather than constantly opening & closing it ??

Another solution could be to just interupt this wire with a switch that you mount under the dash ... this way you can turn it off when you want it off.

People who just "drive" cars ... never wash or clean them or do any maintenance themselves I can see sayining the door buzzer never annoys them, if anything they are glad it's there as they would be constantly locking their keys in the car.

99% (if not 100%) of the people who hang out on this web site are NOT this type or person and like me either disabled this key chime on cars in the past or always wanted to know HOW to do it.

Doug
I wash my car more than most people do and I still wouldn't see a need for this. When I'm cleaning my car, I usually have my headphones on or my phone is playing music over it's speaker. I rarely ever have my radio on and doors open.

Old 9/16/10, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just open the passenger door instead lol
Old 9/16/10, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT
Just open the passenger door instead lol

I'm an idiot...
Old 9/16/10, 12:57 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many times I have wanted this chime defeated, and the seatbelt chime.

I thought there was a way to turn these chimes off without actually physically disconnecting them?
Old 9/16/10, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Many times I have wanted this chime defeated, and the seatbelt chime.

I thought there was a way to turn these chimes off without actually physically disconnecting them?
The seatbelt chime can be disabled. Just look in your owner's manual and it gives you the steps. I did it on my '11
Old 9/16/10, 02:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It is funny that they have a way to deactivate the SAFETY related seat belt chime, but god forbid they offer similar instructions to do the same with this non-saftey related anoyance.

I did ask the service department manager at the Ford dealer when I picked up the car if there was a secret procedure not shared with the general public to program it out and he said unfortunately no ... and that if there was he would definitely know about it as it would be something he'd probably do to his personal cars.

BTW ... just drove 20+ miles of mixed city / country roads and no issues so far.

Doug
Old 9/16/10, 03:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks. This is on my mod list.
Old 9/16/10, 04:00 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
way too much effort IMO, but I'm sure lots of people have use for this
Old 9/16/10, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Takes just 10 seconds to cut that sum*****.
Old 9/16/10, 04:33 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but it only takes 5 for me eff it up and cut the wrong wire
Old 9/16/10, 05:13 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Nice write up Doug but i have to pass. With my luck i would end up cutting the whole harness
Old 9/16/10, 06:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dmhines
Takes just 10 seconds to cut that sum*****.
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Originally Posted by David Young
Nice write up Doug but i have to pass. With my luck i would end up cutting the whole harness
I think that is why the OP did not cut his.
He just released the pin and took it out.
Really easy to do if you are familiar with connectors and no damage occurs at all.
Did you guys even read the whole write-up?
Old 9/16/10, 07:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Taught i was through with mods. Thx for the write up. Good to know.
Old 9/17/10, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cut the black/purple wire on my SHOs (actually I just removed them from the ignition cylinder), but I didn't have to worry because they had a keypad on the outside - so it didn't really matter if I locked the keys in the car. In fact, I would do so frequently in order to not have to worry about losing them outside the car!

The mustang, not having a keypad, would give me pause when considering the same mod.
Old 9/17/10, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
One possible side effect is that the lockout prevention circuit (known as "Smart Locks") won't function. The wire you're disconnecting is the signal that a key is in the ignition cylinder. The chime is disabled because the system never knows there's a key in the ignition. Unfortunately, it also won't know you've left your key when you use the door switch to lock the doors, so you could potentially lock your keys in the car.

Quick Reply: Disable Ignition Key-Door Open Chime on a 2011 ... YES !!