The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Convince me out of tradin in for a C6 Z06 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/convince-me-out-tradin-c6-z06-542203/)

trackpack13gt 7/31/16 09:03 AM

Convince me out of tradin in for a C6 Z06

My mustang is fully paid off and I do love her. However i'm falling hard in love with a c6 z06. I had a look at a 3lz z06 and it was really nice. Loved everything about it.

Stage_3 7/31/16 09:11 AM

Yeah,...that's a tough call! The C6 Z06 is one nasty car.
If you really want it and can afford it,......go for it. Just make sure the car you are looking is very clean and wasn't modded, unless you want it modded, but I'd start as a clean slate. (Never know what the car had for issues after mods.)
Good luck!

SplitSecond 7/31/16 12:30 PM

You won't get me to talk you out of it. When my Roush is completely paid off I plan on getting one to make into my dedicated track car.

2k7gtcs 7/31/16 01:17 PM

Do it

StangMahn 7/31/16 01:40 PM

One look at the cheap interior of the C6 does a pretty good job of it for me.

SilrBult 7/31/16 02:16 PM

As I see it both the Mustang and the Corvette are bargains in the world of performance cars, but they are in different categories. The Mustang is more of what Europeans would call a Grand Touring or GT car and the 'vette is a true sports car. There is both a difference in pricing and in utility. I don't think anyone would seriously claim that the Mustang is the most practical or utilitarian of vehicles, but compared to the 'vette it certainly has the edge in both cost and practicality. Cost includes things like insurance and tires as well as other normal replacement parts cost. In general you will pay more for the 'vette. If you're comfortable with the increased costs and reduced utility and you really want it, go for it.

dmichaels 7/31/16 03:46 PM

C6 Z06 is a superior car in my opinion - I would have bought one if it was in my budget!

Rather B.Blown 7/31/16 05:28 PM

Weird that you posted this thread. I was just looking through Autotrader yesterday at them to see what was out there for sale.

5.M0NSTER 7/31/16 05:43 PM

If you can swing it go for it. Vettes are some of the fastest cars on most road courses. And the high RPM roar from that 7L is amazing.

imeyers302 8/1/16 04:25 AM

Thought about this move myself recently. The thing that killed it for me was that even if I found a nice 2010, I just could not bring myself to be making payments on a 2010 car until 2021.

David Young 8/1/16 04:42 AM

I love the Corvette :). I've always had a closeness to the Vette. I was born the same year as the Vette :). We are both old :(

Dean Martin 8/1/16 05:48 AM

Great car. Spend some time on CorvetteForum to understand the main issues to be on the lookout for with a used C6 Corvette. A few avoid the 7.0 due to dropped valve issue, some have it addressed as a preventative maneuver.

I have a base 2011 LS3 with 30K miles with no problems to speak of.

Coyote5-0 8/1/16 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by StangMahn (Post 6991386)
One look at the cheap interior of the C6 does a pretty good job of it for me.

Oh and this looks sooo much better:

http://images.newcars.com/images/car...river-Side.png

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang, but I think the interior, especially middle panel is the worst looking part of the car. It's just a plain flat slab.

It's hard to argue against a C6Z when they are 505hp, lighter, IRS, better transmission, and all in the mid $30's. I look at them from time to time. If I could go back, I probably would have bought a used one back in 2013 instead of the Mustang. But I insisted on buying a brand new car :grin: :screwy:
I have driven a few C6Z's and they are a blast to drive. But once I get back in my Mustang, it honestly doesn't even feel slower. I know I could put a blower on the Mustang for cheaper than the difference in trade in value between my Mustang and a C6Z, so that's the big reason why I've kept it so far.

FromZto5 8/1/16 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by trackpack13gt (Post 6991362)
My mustang is fully paid off and I do love her. However i'm falling hard in love with a c6 z06. I had a look at a 3lz z06 and it was really nice. Loved everything about it.

For me, easy to convince me not to do it. Again, this logic is what applies to me and the C6 vettes. You may have other reasons.

a) design is dated, imo. Heck even the new C7's look dated to me too. The C6 is worse. It looks old.

b) that interior, as mentioned above. Not saying the mustang is any better, but both leave something to be desired.

c) unknowns. Took me a while to research the ins and outs of the mustang, particularly the powertrain side. What issues there were, weak points, strong points, what to look out for, how to fix, how to address etc..... getting in another car like the Z06/vette, I'd have to relearn everything again. I know I'd have to relearn it on any new car I get.

Horspla 8/1/16 02:49 PM

Can't talk you out of a car like that...go for it! I drove a '13 Grand Sport and it was nuts compared to the Mustang. Can only imagine how much better a Z06 would be. FWIW I still like the C6 styling better than the C7 but the performance difference makes me lust for a C7.

John

ford20 8/1/16 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0 (Post 6991482)
Oh and this looks sooo much better:

http://images.newcars.com/images/car...river-Side.png

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang, but I think the interior, especially middle panel is the worst looking part of the car. It's just a plain flat slab.

It's hard to argue against a C6Z when they are 505hp, lighter, IRS, better transmission, and all in the mid $30's. I look at them from time to time. If I could go back, I probably would have bought a used one back in 2013 instead of the Mustang. But I insisted on buying a brand new car :grin: :screwy:
I have driven a few C6Z's and they are a blast to drive. But once I get back in my Mustang, it honestly doesn't even feel slower. I know I could put a blower on the Mustang for cheaper than the difference in trade in value between my Mustang and a C6Z, so that's the big reason why I've kept it so far.

Yes it is, so much better than GM's 1990 style plastic interior complete with Chevy Cobalt steering wheel.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...c3c8d7fcf3.jpg

You also have to figure in the Corvette Tax on everything plus not to mention slightly higher prices for Z06 specific items. Then you are taking the chance with the LS7 dropping a valve. I would still do it and just pull the engine and do a hci swap on the Z06 and not worry about that, new steering wheel and look into a new head unit that looks better then any of the **** GM puts in there and track the **** out of it.

3point7 8/2/16 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by ford20 (Post 6991535)
Yes it is, so much better than GM's 1990 style plastic interior complete with Chevy Cobalt steering wheel.

Mmmmm no. To each his own I guess and I'm not trying to say the interior of the Corvette is all that but if you want to talk about cheap plastic interior the Mustang has you covered in spades. I've owned three S197's starting with an 06 GT and the interior in that car was just cheap as hell. I'd take the Corvette.

Coyote5-0 8/2/16 06:15 AM

I personally don't think the interior looks that bad

http://www.corvetteforum.com/wp-cont...c6interior.jpg

And Corvette tax? That's not a thing. They're all GM parts. Corvette-exclusive parts might be more expensive because they are special performance parts compared to other GM parts.

ford20 8/2/16 06:28 AM

Saying Corvette Tax is not a thing is laughable.

FromZto5 8/2/16 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ford20 (Post 6991535)

You also have to figure in the Corvette Tax on everything plus not to mention slightly higher prices for Z06 specific items. Then you are taking the chance with the LS7 dropping a valve. I would still do it and just pull the engine and do a hci swap on the Z06 and not worry about that, new steering wheel and look into a new head unit that looks better then any of the **** GM puts in there and track the **** out of it.

Originally Posted by 3point7 (Post 6991565)
Mmmmm no. To each his own I guess and I'm not trying to say the interior of the Corvette is all that but if you want to talk about cheap plastic interior the Mustang has you covered in spades. I've owned three S197's starting with an 06 GT and the interior in that car was just cheap as hell. I'd take the Corvette.

you guys are BOTH/ALL right.

Let's face it guys, both GM and Ford interiors aren't the greatest. They're both bad. lol. Potatoe Potato.

I didn't get my Mustang for the interior, nor would I get a Z06 for the interior. I knew what I was getting into. Would I like a better interior? heck yes. I could get an Audi, but it's just not an American "muscle-ish" type of car.