The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Color of track pack wheels (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/color-track-pack-wheels-542305/)

sdd1z28 8/11/16 02:49 PM

Color of track pack wheels

Hi all.

I recently purchased a 2010 GT and wanted to add the track pack wheels to it. I bought 2 off Ebay and then another set of 4. I figured I could powder coat some black down the road. What is interesting is it appears they are two different colors. The 2 rims I bought seem darker gunmetal. The set of 4 seems lighter kinda hyper silver. Both sets are factory 19x9 with 42mm offset stamped on the inside of the wheel. My question is did Ford have two different colors of these wheels through the years?

14BlackGT 8/11/16 04:15 PM

My guess is that they are off different batches and there is color variation.

TheReaper 8/11/16 05:28 PM

Are they all stamped................Made in China ?

sdd1z28 8/11/16 08:58 PM

I'll take some pics Sat. They do say made in china on both different color wheels.

laserred38 8/12/16 08:33 AM

I think the 11-12 wheels are a little lighter than the 13-14 wheels. Ford never officially stated this, but it's just my observations living down the street from a huge Ford dealer and owning a 2014.

That said, lots of aftermarket wheel replicate companies make versions of the TP wheels - are you sure you got OEM? One step further, I do like the way these wheels look, but they are extremely heavy for a 19x9 - you sure you want to stick with them? My Forgestars that I bought used, were almost 10 pounds lighter per wheel, for a 19x9.5 and 19x11. You're able to get a lot more rubber on them, and the car feels so much lighter on its feet with lighter wheels...

sdd1z28 8/13/16 08:17 PM

I did check the stamp on the inside. They both show DMLRA FOMOCO M1 and both made in China. So I guess I could concur on the 2 different shades from the 11-12 models vs 13-14. The full set I have is lighter and was from a guys 2012 GT. I guess the other 2 wheels I bought were from a 13 or 14. I am kinda partial to the brembo wheel appearance even though they are heavier. thanks for all the help folks

88lx50 8/14/16 08:55 AM

The original wheels sucked and the finish came off. They were a 3 stage process and the final silver was painted over a black base. I don't think the silver adhered properly to the base. I think the later process was refined and the color appears darker. I had a set that I was going to put on my car and they were definitely a darker color then mine.

EF1 8/14/16 11:09 AM

I concur on the finish coming off. I have a 2011 with the Brembo package. The wheels are turning black starting toward the center and working out. The finish doesn't feel like it is chips as it is still smooth to the touch, but the color is changing.