Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Car running lean

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/14, 06:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car running lean

Alright so some of you know that my dyno pulls were a failure due to the car running lean at WOT.

So far according to justin.

-The car or something isn't enriching at WOT
-another interesting side note is he was looking at logs i sent friday and say yeah it looks like your not flooring it...which i am sure i was, so either something seems to be off with the accel pedal and TPS sensor... or i really didn't push it to the floor.

something i want to note - One wierd thing i have noticed is that when saying pulling into a parking lot and I'm coasting, idle will slowly rise on its own without me doing anything, usually gets to about 1400 rpm when i brake it goes away.

so coming up on my second tune adjustment here today, around lunch time.

I'm documenting this for anyone else that might come across the same issue.
Old 6/30/14, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Thank-you please keep us posted
Old 6/30/14, 12:42 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer
One wierd thing i have noticed is that when saying pulling into a parking lot and I'm coasting, idle will slowly rise on its own without me doing anything, usually gets to about 1400 rpm when i brake it goes away.
That sounds like it would be related to MAF or O2 sensors.
Old 6/30/14, 12:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That sounds like it would be related to MAF or O2 sensors.
Not throwing any codes for those but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't anything wrong with them. Was thinking about getting some MAF cleaner and giving that a shot as it couldn't hurt.

After the new adjusted tune i got today and got some logs i think from what i can tell that WOT's AFR is looking better. Though i've lost boost, my boost gauge was reading maybe 4psi. but then again i was doing 2nd gear pulls.
Old 6/30/14, 03:40 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ keep us posted.

Why is boost down lower with the tune adjustment from VMP? is it because they're diagnosing at the moment? hmmm

I hope I don't run into similar issues from JDM Engineering.

How many lbs of boost were you running with the kit before all this happened?
Old 6/30/14, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Wonder if it could be a fuel pump issue? I know when I did my 3rd gear pulls, I still saw 10lbs of boost once the rpm's started to build. I hope Justin figures it soon for you.
Old 6/30/14, 06:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ keep us posted.

Why is boost down lower with the tune adjustment from VMP? is it because they're diagnosing at the moment? hmmm

I hope I don't run into similar issues from JDM Engineering.

How many lbs of boost were you running with the kit before all this happened?
I will keep this updated as I go. Maybe get explinations from VMP as to what they corrected.

Why the boost is lower? i dunno maybe its just me, i was doing the WOT pulls in 2nd so who knows. Before all this i was seaking peaks of up to 10psi and steady at 5-6. But so far atleast the AFR seems to be normal when WOT which is good cause i dont wanna blow the engine.

All i know is that the car seems a little on the slower side now and i think its due to them trying to get the AFR right right now...atleast i hope.

Originally Posted by Blown CS
Wonder if it could be a fuel pump issue? I know when I did my 3rd gear pulls, I still saw 10lbs of boost once the rpm's started to build. I hope Justin figures it soon for you.
I was running in 2nd for my WOT pulls just cause the empty strip of road i was on really only gave me enough room for 2nd lol. Everything that can be logged for the fuel pump has and they say that it looks good so. I dunno. Guess will see.
Old 6/30/14, 10:26 PM
I Have No Life

I will keep this updated as I go. Maybe get explinations from VMP as to what they corrected. Why the boost is lower? i dunno maybe its just me, i was doing the WOT pulls in 2nd so who knows. Before all this i was seaking peaks of up to 10psi and steady at 5-6. But so far atleast the AFR seems to be normal when WOT which is good cause i dont wanna blow the engine. All i know is that the car seems a little on the slower side now and i think its due to them trying to get the AFR right right now...atleast i hope. I was running in 2nd for my WOT pulls just cause the empty strip of road i was on really only gave me enough room for 2nd lol. Everything that can be logged for the fuel pump has and they say that it looks good so. I dunno. Guess will see.
When you say you feel it's on the slower side now, you mean compared to when? When you first got the install done? Or when it was stock? I recall you posting after your install was done, and you were happy. So I wonder what happened between then and now. Hmmm
Old 7/1/14, 06:36 AM
Cobra R Member

When you say you feel it's on the slower side now, you mean compared to when? When you first got the install done? Or when it was stock? I recall you posting after your install was done, and you were happy. So I wonder what happened between then and now. Hmmm
Sure i was happy but the car was also running lean i guess lol.

Maybe I'm just paranoid or something.
Old 7/1/14, 06:41 AM
I Have No Life

Sure i was happy but the car was also running lean i guess lol. Maybe I'm just paranoid or something.
I guess I meant, was there any difference in feel as far as thrust or torque or power immediately after your install compared to how it is now?
Old 7/1/14, 07:17 AM
Cobra R Member

I guess I meant, was there any difference in feel as far as thrust or torque or power immediately after your install compared to how it is now?
I would have to say yes and i think its because he's messing with the tune, I hope... Of course my fear is that he's on vacation this week....
Old 7/1/14, 07:23 AM
I Have No Life

I would have to say yes and i think its because he's messing with the tune, I hope... Of course my fear is that he's on vacation this week....
Keep us posted... I hope VMP is responsive. Don't worry, you'll be up and running perfect in no time.
Old 7/1/14, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a datalog you can post up? What are you Short Term Fuel Trims? Long Term Fuel Trims? Whats commanded AFR at WOT? Whats actual AFT at WOT?

Cheers
-Matt
Old 7/1/14, 11:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Do you have a datalog you can post up? What are you Short Term Fuel Trims? Long Term Fuel Trims? Whats commanded AFR at WOT? Whats actual AFT at WOT?

Cheers
-Matt
This is the most recent log. WOT 2nd gear. let me know if this link works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-c...it?usp=sharing
Old 7/1/14, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is the most recent log. WOT 2nd gear. let me know if this link works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-c...it?usp=sharing
Works, could you please post up your Catch code? (or strategy?)

-Matt
Old 7/1/14, 11:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Works, could you please post up your Catch code? (or strategy?)

-Matt
Catch code? sorry that term is new to me.
Old 7/1/14, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Catch code? sorry that term is new to me.
>_< Sorry... Its a may also be known as the tear tag. Its a 4 character identified on your PCM. Its typically 3 letters and 1 number.

For example ZFK0. Also, has VMP sent you an revisions?

-Matt
Old 7/1/14, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

>_< Sorry... Its a may also be known as the tear tag. Its a 4 character identified on your PCM. Its typically 3 letters and 1 number.

For example ZFK0. Also, has VMP sent you an revisions?

-Matt
They have sent me a couple the latest one atleast seems to have cured the lean issue at WOT. But i don't think its completely right yet. Cuase idle and stuff still seems to be running lean.

EEU7 is the "comptuer code" which is interesting because i know everytime you get a bama tune redone you give that to them and VMP never asked for that....
Old 7/1/14, 06:02 PM
Cobra R Member

yeah something does seem off with the car now that he's been tweaking the tune, less power.

Last edited by rmurer; 7/2/14 at 01:31 PM.
Old 7/1/14, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
yeah something does seem off with the car now that he's been tweaking the tune, less power. Also my fears have been confirmed, on vacation, would have been nice if they said something or atleast an Out of office. I know people can take vacations but a heads up would have been nice.

so i guess until next week :/
Im not bashing VMP, but their customer service could use some help. Sucks that they left you hanging. Looks like no Hot rodding for you this weekend.

Quick Reply: Car running lean