2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Car cover for outside storage in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/10, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Car cover for outside storage in winter?

Since we're on the topic of who's driving and storing their 'stangs for the winter . . . and I will be driving mine, and also storing it outside

What are your thoughts / suggestions on covers for use during the winter months? I've never used one before, but thinking it might be a good way to protect the car from snow scraper scratches and such . . . but it will also add a lot more work, meaning whenever it is going to snow I will have to put on the cover, then clean the snow off the cover, then remove the cover to drive the car.

Does anyone have experience with this, how did it work out? Was the cover a plus, or more trouble than it's worth?
Old 11/10/10, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the Brenspeed cover for my car a couple of weeks ago. I don't live in an area that gets much snow, but we had a couple of hard freezes in that time. Once you learn how to quickly put it on and take it off, it takes under 2 minutes to do so. My wife's car had a solid layer of ice on it. My car had none. Here's a few pic of mine.

Brenspeed Car Cover for 2011 Mustang GT by jsnyng, on Flickr

Untitled by jsnyng, on Flickr

Untitled by jsnyng, on Flickr

Last edited by jsnyng; 11/10/10 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Stupid iPad keyboard
Old 11/10/10, 04:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Since we're on the topic of who's driving and storing their 'stangs for the winter . . . and I will be driving mine, and also storing it outside

What are your thoughts / suggestions on covers for use during the winter months? I've never used one before, but thinking it might be a good way to protect the car from snow scraper scratches and such . . . but it will also add a lot more work, meaning whenever it is going to snow I will have to put on the cover, then clean the snow off the cover, then remove the cover to drive the car.

Does anyone have experience with this, how did it work out? Was the cover a plus, or more trouble than it's worth?
My hunch is that if you're driving the car every day, it's going to be a pain in the butt. For one thing, The car ought to be clean when you cover or you're likely to scratch it.

Im still looking at a few options...I'll share what I find. I'm parking the car for the CT winter so we have similar weather.
Old 11/10/10, 04:47 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
personally I wont cover a car outside in the winter again...my 69 sat out one winter when I had the body off our galaxie, the cover (apparently) can freeze to the paint...the car looked good when it went outside, but when I pulled the cover off it looked like hell...wind whippin at the cover can rub the paint, but the roof/cowl it just took the paint off- the paint was pushin 40 yrs old, but still...all I could imagine was the freeze/thaw stuff with wind blowing caused the old paint to literally come off the car, and noticed some rubbing here and there. Ive had cars set out for many winters hibernating, never had any issues except for the one I covered(had to cover as the motor was out/didnt want the building inspector to have ability to tow it away, legally inoperables must be covered...)

cars Ive had out, Ive just kept waxed, never had any marks from clearing off the snow- just dont park it dirty... If I was going to drive one of the nicer cars over winter, I think a carport would be cool...have the garage space now for them, and my winter beater just sits outside, but the iced windows/etc get old quick...had to warm up the mustang this morning as we had a heavy frost...couple weeks at best it will be time to park it
Old 11/10/10, 05:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have the room and $600 to spend, get one of them portable garages. I have one and it works great. There is a guy in Uxbridge up past Bangma's Farm that sells them in case you want to check them out.
Old 11/11/10, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert

I wouldn't. You'll end up with a wet/frozen cover which will be a PITA to remove and store everyday, Plus the car will be dirty from the snow and ice on return and you should NEVER put a cover on a dirty car. You'll end up with more scratches and damage this way then if you just leave it uncovered..
Old 11/11/10, 11:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
get a remote start instead. You won't be sorry!
Old 11/11/10, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
My hunch is that if you're driving the car every day, it's going to be a pain in the butt. For one thing, The car ought to be clean when you cover or you're likely to scratch it. . . .
Originally Posted by ford4v429
personally I wont cover a car outside in the winter again... I think a carport would be cool...
Originally Posted by Modshack
I wouldn't. You'll end up with a wet/frozen cover which will be a PITA to remove and store everyday, Plus the car will be dirty from the snow and ice on return and you should NEVER put a cover on a dirty car. You'll end up with more scratches and damage this way then if you just leave it uncovered..

Thanks everyone for the warnings / input . . . that's kinda what I was guessing, but never having tried it before I wasn't sure, makes sense.

Originally Posted by denlem
If you have the room and $600 to spend, get one of them portable garages. I have one and it works great. There is a guy in Uxbridge up past Bangma's Farm that sells them in case you want to check them out.
hmmmm . . . I have the space but the budget is a bit tight . . . but that could be the ticket, I think I know the place you are talking about, thanks
Old 11/11/10, 05:34 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
+1 on a carport. I have a two car carport with sides but open on both ends. Best 1,200 bucks i've ever spent. A picture of it is in my Avatar