The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Can your V6 do this? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/can-your-v6-do-487389/)

fritzOSU03 9/10/10 07:04 AM

Can your V6 do this?

Now that I'm past the 1000 mile break-in stage I've had a little time to really see what my car can do. As I was entering the dry concrete freeway ramp yesterday morning I laid into it pretty hard. To my surprise, going into 4th gear the tires barked with ease. :D

So, I'm wondering if anyone else with a 3.7L V6 is capable of barking the tires into 4th gear or if I have a factory freak on my hands. Mine's got the 3.31 rear end and the 6 M/T. Either way, I never expected a V6 to chirp 4th so I'm pretty happy.

JScottGT 9/10/10 07:14 AM

That is great, but chirping 4th isn't as impressive as it used to be. The gear ratio for 4th in your 6-speed box is roughly the same as 3rd used to be in the 5-speed boxes. Either way, it's still fun to scratch rubber from the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4... Glad you are enjoying your V6-er

John GT 9/10/10 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03 (Post 5945609)
Now that I'm past the 1000 mile break-in stage I've had a little time to really see what my car can do. As I was entering the dry concrete freeway ramp yesterday morning I laid into it pretty hard. To my surprise, going into 4th gear the tires barked with ease. :D

So, I'm wondering if anyone else with a 3.7L V6 is capable of barking the tires into 4th gear or if I have a factory freak on my hands. Mine's got the 3.31 rear end and the 6 M/T. Either way, I never expected a V6 to chirp 4th so I'm pretty happy.

This is definitely not your Father's V6. :)

JScottGT 9/10/10 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by John GT (Post 5945626)
This is definitely not your Sisters V6. :)

Fixed that for you John...

orange3.9stang 9/10/10 07:37 AM

My car being the same as yours but with the 2.73 gears I have had no trouble getting a bark out of 3rd, which is very similar RPM & MPH as your 3.31 car going into 4th.

This was also way back when car had less than 100 miles on the ODO and was running the dealer's complimentary tank of E10 87 gas (been running E-free 91 since).

So yes, that sounds normal to me.

Doug

eric n 9/10/10 08:08 AM

While watching the 6 cylinder mustang commercial I was saying to my wife, I really considered a 6. Ultimately I'm thrilled with the 5.0, but this is a 6 a man can drive with his head held high! Great car, great motor.

Double-EDad 9/10/10 09:14 AM

My 3-4 upshift bark on my stock GT occurs at roughly 92 mph. I am interested in seeing whether it'll bark on the 4-5, but since that would be at 125 I may not ever find out!! :confused:

Bert 9/10/10 11:14 AM

I can't do that in my V8, I guess I need practice :dunno:

or maybe it's my 3.31 gears, I hit third at about 65 and 4th would be maybe 110?

Double-EDad 9/11/10 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 5945712)
I can't do that in my V8, I guess I need practice :dunno:

or maybe it's my 3.31 gears, I hit third at about 65 and 4th would be maybe 110?

I am forced by Ford to have 3.31 on my 'vert and the redline shift to 4th is around 90-95. I don't know exactly - I haven't had a chance to just stare at my tech/speedo under those conditions, things are happening too quickly. :confused:

But yeah, if I can chirp the vert, you should be able to bark the coupe.

BrianJohnson 6/18/20 02:14 AM

yes it will chirp going into 5th also.

David Young 6/18/20 05:49 AM

I know this is an old Thread but my v6 automatic will bark when it shifts into 2nd gear and chirp in 3rd gear :) When I was young, the only car in my town that could bark second gear with an automatic was a 1969 (somewhere around that year) GTX with a 440. It would not bark or chirp 3rd gear...……….

shaneyusa 6/18/20 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by David Young (Post 7052432)
I know this is an old Thread but my v6 automatic will bark when it shifts into 2nd gear and chirp in 3rd gear :) When I was young, the only car in my town that could bark second gear with an automatic was a 1969 (somewhere around that year) GTX with a 440. It would not bark or chirp 3rd gear...……….

Yup this is a very old thread, but I will respond too.

First off you say "When I was young" aren't you still Young? (As in David Young :grin:)

Then I can refute your calm. Back in the late 70's I owned a 1967 S code Mustang fastback with a 390 and a 3 speed automatic. The car had bias-belted L50-15s on the back with Gabriel air shocks to lift the back-end over the big meaty tires. The car had a Holley carburetor, not sure if it was factory or had been swapped to it. I think everything else was stock, but buying the car used and being a dumb teenager, I did not know any better. The car was fast and not something a high school senior should drive, let alone own, but I did. Boy was it a fun car! And I am lucky to be alive because I did many stupid things with it. I was a blast and always have regretted the day I let it go. But life required me to get something more practical. You know, gas was expensive, like 79 cents a gallon for the premium fuel it required. (Wish it was that now.)

Did I mention the car was fast. It could light up the big boys on the back on dry pavement with ease. Hard to keep it going straight. Then when pushed hard it would "bark" those boys on the back going into second with ease. Giving the back-end a definite wag as it shifted into 2nd. Oh the days...

David Young 6/19/20 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by shaneyusa (Post 7052435)
Yup this is a very old thread, but I will respond too.

First off you say "When I was young" aren't you still Young? (As in David Young :grin:)

Then I can refute your calm. Back in the late 70's I owned a 1967 S code Mustang fastback with a 390 and a 3 speed automatic. The car had bias-belted L50-15s on the back with Gabriel air shocks to lift the back-end over the big meaty tires. The car had a Holley carburetor, not sure if it was factory or had been swapped to it. I think everything else was stock, but buying the car used and being a dumb teenager, I did not know any better. The car was fast and not something a high school senior should drive, let alone own, but I did. Boy was it a fun car! And I am lucky to be alive because I did many stupid things with it. I was a blast and always have regretted the day I let it go. But life required me to get something more practical. You know, gas was expensive, like 79 cents a gallon for the premium fuel it required. (Wish it was that now.)

Did I mention the car was fast. It could light up the big boys on the back on dry pavement with ease. Hard to keep it going straight. Then when pushed hard it would "bark" those boys on the back going into second with ease. Giving the back-end a definite wag as it shifted into 2nd. Oh the days...

I get that a lot. My 87 year old Mom told me we were all going to die young :). Those were the days. 302's were what Grand Ma had in her Fairlane. In 1962 my Dad had a Galaxie with a 390 in it. My Uncle told him about a new 1967 Galaxie at a local Ford dealer with a 428 4 speed. My Uncle said he got to test drive it and it was too fast for him. My Dad went and bought it :). It had bench front seats. Many years later I got it from my Dad and someone stole it, not a year after I got it :( Never to be seen again. I still look at junk yards from time to time looking for it :)

Mustang Freak 6/19/20 05:56 AM

Wow that sucks! Hopefully karma will catch up with the thief! :shame:

ZGrand 6/20/20 06:01 AM

No one will believe this, but I had a '69 Fairlane, 302 2-bbl, 3-speed auto, that would chirp the tires shifting into second at full throttle.

David Young 6/22/20 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ZGrand (Post 7052512)
No one will believe this, but I had a '69 Fairlane, 302 2-bbl, 3-speed auto, that would chirp the tires shifting into second at full throttle.

I believe you. Around 1986 I bought a back row special. I think it was a 1971 Torino 4 door, 3 on the tree with a 302 2-bbl. It was a freak 302. Much faster than it should have been. I got it for $400 and drove it for a year and a half. I traded it in on a new 1986 Mustang.

SpectreH 6/22/20 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ZGrand (Post 7052512)

Originally Posted by David Young (Post 7052566)
I believe you. Around 1986 I bought a back row special. I think it was a 1971 Torino 4 door, 3 on the tree with a 302 2-bbl. It was a freak 302. Much faster than it should have been. I got it for $400 and drove it for a year and a half. I traded it in on a new 1986 Mustang.

It is weird how every now and then an engine turns up that is stronger than it should be. My first Corvair had such an engine. I remember keeping up with a Porsche 911 around some twisties in the early 1980's with it. When we reached a stopping point, the Porsche driver gave me the thumbs up. I had a lot of fun with that car against others that should have been able to beat it.

Siber Express 6/24/20 06:07 AM

Not since I put the 295/35 19's Continentals on the back, been fighting that spinning thing coming out of corners since I got the car in 2012.
My 1973 Cougar with a 4V 351 Cleveland with the miss matched heads from the factory and 4 Speed Toploader would smoke them from a stop 1st, 2nd and 1/2 way through 3rd and a healthy chirp in 4th. That was before I rebuilt it, fixed the head problem and rebuilt the rear end so it would quit ticking or sometimes chirping when it turned.
There is my back from the grave post :lee:

David Young 6/24/20 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express (Post 7052633)
Not since I put the 295/35 19's Continentals on the back, been fighting that spinning thing coming out of corners since I got the car in 2012.
My 1973 Cougar with a 4V 351 Cleveland with the miss matched heads from the factory and 4 Speed Toploader would smoke them from a stop 1st, 2nd and 1/2 way through 3rd and a healthy chirp in 4th. That was before I rebuilt it, fixed the head problem and rebuilt the rear end so it would quit ticking or sometimes chirping when it turned.
There is my back from the grave post :lee:

You old fart. Sorry, I'm older than you :crying:

Siber Express 6/24/20 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by David Young (Post 7052645)
You old fart. Sorry, I'm older than you :crying:

Since I am older than dirt, What's that make you David?