2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Bassani Exhaust Drone on 2011 V6

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/11, 11:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost all v6's with aftermarket exhausts drone or sound raspy, especially American v6's. Buick 3800 with exhaust - sounded awful. Ford 4L - sounded terrible. 3.7L - raspy and droney.

It's just part of using having 2 less cylinders.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 5/3/11, 11:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Sorry to hear the Bassani's didnt work out for you. Depending on where you got them and how used they are you MIGHT be able to return, or take a slight loss on them by selling them to someone.

Not regretting my Roush one bit.
Agree, my roush is awesome. No drone
Old 5/3/11, 11:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by born2run74
Agree, my roush is awesome. No drone
Roush FTW!
Old 5/4/11, 12:04 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just for the record. I've got full bassani on the cobra and they sound like crap. Drone, raspy, and decel pop.
Old 5/4/11, 07:04 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I have Magnaflow street series on my V-6. To me, they are pretty loud with a nice deep sound. I have an automatic and don't have any drone. My video link in my Signature is done with the windows up.
Old 5/4/11, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

^^^ That is what I'm going with unless the shop shows me something better. I don't care if the exhaust is a little bit loud if it sounds good. The Bassani sounds pretty good to me up to 2100 RPM. As soon i hit 2300 RPM it start emitting this annoying loud hum which doest sound anything like a exhaust to me. But probably is just me.
Old 5/5/11, 01:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Just for the record. I've got full bassani on the cobra and they sound like crap. Drone, raspy, and decel pop.
...full Bassani exhaust on a Cobra is one of the sexiest sounds of any car out there. Fact.
Old 5/5/11, 01:40 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38

...full Bassani exhaust on a Cobra is one of the sexiest sounds of any car out there. Fact.
You can have them when I rip them off then. I hate this sound.
Old 5/5/11, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newpony
^^^ That is what I'm going with unless the shop shows me something better. I don't care if the exhaust is a little bit loud if it sounds good. The Bassani sounds pretty good to me up to 2100 RPM. As soon i hit 2300 RPM it start emitting this annoying loud hum which doest sound anything like a exhaust to me. But probably is just me.
You should hear my magnaflow catback drone. AHHHH
Old 5/5/11, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I thought I was on Corvetteforum here for a second. Mess with the exhaust and you WILL get some drone. It doesn't matter what manufacturer you go with. All of them exhibit some amount of drone.

If you want to hear your exhaust you get to hear ALL of your exhaust. This is pretty much without exception unless you do an active exhaust like what you find on Corvettes' BMW's etc.
Old 5/5/11, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
I thought I was on Corvetteforum here for a second. Mess with the exhaust and you WILL get some drone. It doesn't matter what manufacturer you go with. All of them exhibit some amount of drone.

If you want to hear your exhaust you get to hear ALL of your exhaust. This is pretty much without exception unless you do an active exhaust like what you find on Corvettes' BMW's etc.
Not true at all. Plenty of exhaust systems that don't drone on the 5.0.
Old 5/5/11, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

like the awesome borlas oh god
Old 5/5/11, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Not true at all. Plenty of exhaust systems that don't drone on the 5.0.
It's simple sound dynamics. You can tune your mufflers and resonators to diminish it as much as possible. Certainly certain systems and combinations do this MUCH better than others.

At certain PM's however the sound waves being produced stack on top of themselves as they bounce around in the pipes, baffling, and absorbent material within the system. This stacking of waves starts amplifying certain frequencies while canceling out others, which creates the drone that we hear.

You can't stop physics from happening.
Old 5/5/11, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

One thing is hearing the exhaust note no matter how loud it might be, and another is hearing something that sounds awful and annoying. Are you telling me people actually like hearing that loud hum in my video?
Old 5/5/11, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you telling me people actually like hearing that loud hum in my video?
You might find a nut or two that actually like it but most people just deal with it as the side effect of having an awesome sounding exhaust while rolling through town.

My '01 GT had wicked drone with the Flowmaster American Thunder at about 2200 RPM but it would disappear around 2800 RPM. The fix was to throw in some 4.10s so that my car was around 2800 @ 75MPH....
Old 5/6/11, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

I installed the Magnaflow Street Series axlebacks on my wife's 2011 V6 MCA 4 months ago. They sound nice and deep, and no drone whatsoever. And the 4" tips look great with the GT/CS - GT500 rear valence.

Last edited by SoFlaBoss; 5/6/11 at 09:02 PM.
Old 5/7/11, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those tips look amazing!
Old 5/8/11, 05:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks great, the GT CS / Laguna Seca Wing is a nice touch!
Old 5/14/11, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

FIXED!!!!!!

Went to a experienced exhaust shop to install the Magnaflow Street Series to replace the Bassani's. The owner was super cool (they even bough me lunch) and told me that since I like the sound of the Bassani he was just going to install two Magnaflow resonators to take care of the drone at high speed. Cheaper than getting new mufflers and losing my money invested in the Bassani axe-back.

I'm happy camper now. BTW when the owner was driving my car towards the lift, it was the first time I heard the exhaust from outside while the car in motion. I couldn't believe how awesome my car sounds with the Bassani's. Glad that I got to keep them.

I highly recommend the Bassani Axle-Back now. Just keep in mind that if you car has 3.31 gears and travel above 70 MPH often you may need resonators to keep the drone out. And if you leave near Billerica, MA I highly recommend R&D Custom Exhaust.
Old 5/14/11, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

FIXED!!!!!!

Went to a experienced exhaust shop to install the Magnaflow Street Series to replace the Bassani's. The owner was super cool (they even bough me lunch) and told me that since I like the sound of the Bassani he was just going to install two Magnaflow resonators to take care of the drone at high speed. Cheaper than getting new mufflers and losing my money invested in the Bassani axe-back.

I'm happy camper now. BTW when the owner was driving my car towards the lift, it was the first time I heard the exhaust from outside while the car in motion. I couldn't believe how awesome my car sounds with the Bassani's. Glad that I got to keep them.

I highly recommend the Bassani Axle-Back now. Just keep in mind that if you car has 3.31 gears and travel above 70 MPH often you may need resonators to keep the drone out. And if you leave near Billerica, MA I highly recommend R&D Custom Exhaust.
Glad to see you got it fixed! Still waiting to bump into you one day and hear it! How about a video?

Quick Reply: Bassani Exhaust Drone on 2011 V6