2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Bassani Exhaust Drone on 2011 V6

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/11, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Bassani Exhaust Drone on 2011 V6

After a lot of research I bought the Bassani Axle-Back system for my 2011 V6 based on good reviews and report of not drone. Unfortunately is not working for me. I'm getting terrible drone between 2200-3000 RPM. Not bad in the city but at highway speed is terrible. Before spending more money I'd like you guys take a listen and perhaps can give me some advice if anything can be done to correct it or things to check. Can't find anything wrong with the installation but not ruling out that either. Can I even get my money back?

NOTE: Make sure to crank the volume up and use a good set of headphones or pc speakers and you will hear exactly what hear everyday on my way to work

The drone/hum increases in volume and is very noticeable around the 0:22 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rD5TdPYoU

Last edited by newpony; 5/3/11 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added time mark for reference
Old 5/3/11, 04:33 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that sucks man. hope you find a solution.

Its posts like these that make me appreciate my stockers.
Old 5/3/11, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

Confused about where you heard no drone.

Jokerstars put a set on his GT and immediately noticed drone. He ended up getting rid of them and getting something else.

Some people have mentioned dynamatting the trunk or getting rid of the sound tube (don't know if the v6 has one).

Other than that, not much you can do. They drone due to their design.
Old 5/3/11, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear the Bassani's didnt work out for you. Depending on where you got them and how used they are you MIGHT be able to return, or take a slight loss on them by selling them to someone.

Not regretting my Roush one bit.
Old 5/3/11, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Sounds like a car with custom exhaust. I really don't get all these drone threads. The S197s are just so **** quiet that any change is VERY apparent...
Old 5/3/11, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Borla ftw. Shoulda got them first but was scared cause of price. Ended up costing me more money by not getting them.
Old 5/3/11, 05:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Borla ftw. Shoulda got them first but was scared cause of price. Ended up costing me more money by not getting them.
Speak of the devil!!

I already mentioned your story a bit, but yes the Bassani's drone.
Old 5/3/11, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Borlas are indeed the way to go.
Old 5/3/11, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Sorry to hear the Bassani's didnt work out for you. Depending on where you got them and how used they are you MIGHT be able to return, or take a slight loss on them by selling them to someone.

Not regretting my Roush one bit.
I bought it from American Muscle.
Old 5/3/11, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newpony

I bought it from American Muscle.
Hmmm.. You might be able to ship em bak if they are still within the 30 days.
Old 5/3/11, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

.......I don't know man, if that bothers u I'm not sure aftermarket exhaust is for you. I still don't quite get the whole drone thing.
Old 5/3/11, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Confused about where you heard no drone.

Jokerstars put a set on his GT and immediately noticed drone. He ended up getting rid of them and getting something else.

Some people have mentioned dynamatting the trunk or getting rid of the sound tube (don't know if the v6 has one).

Other than that, not much you can do. They drone due to their design.
That was what my installer said. Did you actually see the video (headphones+volume way up, laptop speakers won't do)? So are you telling me that people actually like hearing that inside your ear, annoying, loud, and deafening humming sound? I mean that doesn't even sound like an exhaust, is just annoying sound. That is too bad because the Bassani does sound good driving around town especially with the windows down. If it was just loud good exhaust sound probably I wouldn't care too much but it just sounds awful IMHO.

I'm just going play it safe next time and buy a less aggressive exhaust like the Magnaflow Street Axle-Back. Also this time I'm going to a good performance exhaust shop where they let you hear the exhaust before installing it. The shop where I'm planning to go also sell Dynomax which I'm kind of curious of hearing after seeing this video http://www.youtube.com/user/Boatralp.../1/oxyw31dob20
Old 5/3/11, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
.......I don't know man, if that bothers u I'm not sure aftermarket exhaust is for you. I still don't quite get the whole drone thing.
Are you turning the volume way up? That humming sound especially bad around the 0:22 mark, that is what I hear while cruising. Maybe is just me and it is like you say but that doesn't sound natural to me and it goes way if the RPM goes above 3000 RPM or below 2200 RPM. I once drove on a 2010 Camaro SS with a nice Borla exhaust and that was loud cruising about 4000RPM but sound it good and no drone at all.
Old 5/3/11, 09:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get borla if you want no drone. that's why they're more expensive
Old 5/3/11, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
get borla if you want no drone. that's why they're more expensive
Unfortunately the shop where I'm planning to go don't carry Borla
Old 5/3/11, 09:19 PM
GT Member

I was once told that Corsa is noted for not having a drone in their exhaust systems. Might be worth looking into. A friend of mine has Flowmasters on his 2007 Mustang and the drone is wicked, so I can see why you want to fix this problem.
Old 5/3/11, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

The funny thing about exhaust is that you will always find someone who loves a company and someone who hates a company as far as sound goes. Drone is also a sticky situation as well IMO. What some people consider drone, doesn't even effect or register as a problem with other people. This is not an insult in any way and in no way is this directed towards you, but I have noticed that the people who are complaining the most about there exhaust have only been in the game for five years or less. Why is this, I'm not quite sure, but all I can tell you is that 15 years ago I don't care what exhaust you had (super loud, raspy, obnoxious, open headers, dumps, etc) I never heard anyone refer to drone before until 2005. Some systems had the same effect and sound of the drone people are complaining about now, but you never heard of it as a complaint then. I hope you find the exhaust that works for you.
Old 5/3/11, 09:46 PM

I like drone

Last edited by JimmyM; 5/4/11 at 11:13 AM.
Old 5/3/11, 10:45 PM
GT Member

Replace the exhaust or replace the driver.
Old 5/3/11, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM

^ What he said, except I disagree with the last part.

This is my first car (V6 PP) with any mods at all, so I guess I'm new "in the game."

I didn't even know what drone was at first. Sure enough, after learning about it, I realized that the Roush had severe drone at highway speeds (I have 3.31, so drone right around 70). Fortunately for me, I always thought the drone was just part of the exhaust experience, so I loved every minute of it. It does not bother me in the slightest.

Point is, it's subjective, imo. Some people are more sensitive than others, and some (like me) actually enjoy it.
That's very weird. There has been numerous members here, ( all 5.0s ) that have gotten the Roush AB's and have no problem with drone what soever. Maybe it's different for the V6's?

Quick Reply: Bassani Exhaust Drone on 2011 V6