2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Anyone else seem to have less horses in the stable?

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/10, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else seem to have less horses in the stable?

So, I've had my car since June. It's been in to the dealer for multiple issues so far. First, the airbag light came on. Then, the clutch was experiencing the high-shift stick issues so I had them replace my clutch pedal assembly. My car was built in March, so it's one of the earlier builds which are infamous for issues. I've lately been experiencing a strange issue. It feels as though the car has a personality; sometimes it will be fast, other times it will feel slower than my friend's 07 WRX (non-STi) which has just exhaust and tune. I don't know what to do. I can feel the power surging when under full-throttle almost like the clutch is slipping. The clutch feels alright, yet not as crisp as it did when I first got it (It bucks a little when under partial throttle while cruising which it didn't do when I bought it). I am worried that my clutch is experiencing the sheared-dowel issues which other have had, however I don't have quite the same problem. When fully engaged, the clutch does not cause the car to move (which is normal) and it doesn't feel very broken. I don't know if other GT owners who have had the clutch issues have experienced a serious yet intermittent decrease in HP. I sometimes experience issues getting into gear (when cold) and it will occasionally refuse to go into first until I bring it back to neutral and try again. I sometimes try and go into third and it won't enter the gear, so I move it down to fourth. Anyone having similar issues? I want to take it to the dealer, but I definitely would rather not have them beat the crap out of it just to say, "Doesn't feel slow to me." I need some help please!
Old 12/16/10, 02:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
398rwhp for me. i cant say i have less.
Old 12/16/10, 07:58 AM
Banned

I think you might have a lemon.
Old 12/16/10, 08:17 AM
V6 Member

I would imagine it feeling slow at times is completely in your head, I know with mine when just driving to/from work with it chugging along at 2300 RPM it never feels especially fast. However, every time I am able to really get on it and feel it going sideways in second with traction control on I realize it is!

Mine was built in early April, but they held it back on numerous times before finally taking delivery in mid-August. Thus far I have had no clutch issues like you are referring to. I have noticed surging at low RPMs (1K-2K) and brought it back to the dealer to check and get it on record. There was a service bulletin on this particular problem that they printed out that basically said this was normal for the 5.0.
Old 12/16/10, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by rhans
I would imagine it feeling slow at times is completely in your head, I know with mine when just driving to/from work with it chugging along at 2300 RPM it never feels especially fast. However, every time I am able to really get on it and feel it going sideways in second with traction control on I realize it is!

Mine was built in early April, but they held it back on numerous times before finally taking delivery in mid-August. Thus far I have had no clutch issues like you are referring to. I have noticed surging at low RPMs (1K-2K) and brought it back to the dealer to check and get it on record. There was a service bulletin on this particular problem that they printed out that basically said this was normal for the 5.0.
I get on it quite frequently and I understand the car makes little power below 3,500 RPM. I cannot get the car sideways in 2nd gear unless I'm taking a turn, even with AdvanceTrak totally turned off. It will spin 1st, and then 2nd will catch and continue to accelerate. I used to own a VW R32 with a tune, intake, and chip, and it felt faster at low RPM than the Mustang. I know something isn't right here.
Old 12/16/10, 04:01 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

If you make little power below 3500 RPM, I definitely think something's wrong. My car, even with its 3.31 rear gear, has power virtually everywhere throughout its powerband.

I know it's a pain in the you-know-what, but take it in to the dealer. See if they can diagnose something.
Old 12/16/10, 04:13 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MARZ
If you make little power below 3500 RPM, I definitely think something's wrong. My car, even with its 3.31 rear gear, has power virtually everywhere throughout its powerband.

I know it's a pain in the you-know-what, but take it in to the dealer. See if they can diagnose something.
Agreed on all points.
Old 12/16/10, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I have noticed that mine feels a little slugish when cold.

This is due to the oil not up to temp. Also, the cams are locked in position until the oil warms up, and I can feel when they do unlock, even at low rpms.
Old 12/16/10, 05:44 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
I have noticed that mine feels a little slugish when cold.

This is due to the oil not up to temp. Also, the cams are locked in position until the oil warms up, and I can feel when they do unlock, even at low rpms.
Mine feels even more powerful during the cold weather months.
Old 12/16/10, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Same here, mine is an absolute animal in this cold weather, so much so it's scary at times lol

As for the OP definitely take it to the dealer, something is not right with your car, mine has power everywhere, granted it's an auto, but the stick should have power across the whole band as well.
Old 12/16/10, 06:01 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No kidding. I spun the tires in first this morning by accident. (I didn't want this van to cut me off trying to get on the freeway on ramp )

Take it in bud. It's gonna suck but your car should be making power
Old 12/16/10, 06:15 PM

How about a dyno run?
Old 12/16/10, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Never again will I buy one of the first releases; I bought an 05 in November of 04 and the quality was terrible - 4 or 5 fixes needed right off the bat, CD changer replaced 4 times...I'm glad I waited for Job 2 this time.
Old 12/16/10, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

It is more powerful in the winter months, after the engine get up to operating temp that is... Cooler denser air means more power.
Old 12/16/10, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
It is more powerful in the winter months, after the engine get up to operating temp that is... Cooler denser air means more power.
Yes, there's a very noticeable change in performance between engine cold and engine warmed up, especially after sitting in the cold a while. And yes it is very powerful thanks to the cold air, not that it does me any good with summer tires in the cold. :P They were complaining some even in third on a straightaway when I had it floored.
Old 12/16/10, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

No issue with mine. They say sometimes you feel like your car is slower but thats only beacuse YOU drive it all the time and get use to it. My GT is very responsive (HAULS ***) i will be getting the CAI + tune tomorrow so LOOK OUT!!!
Old 12/17/10, 03:32 AM
V6 Member

Car and Driver did a comparison test with the Camaro that has more data then most tests, like pull time from 50-70 in top gear. These are pretty easy to test yourself. If your not close there is definitely something wrong.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...07775a541f.pdf
Old 12/17/10, 04:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You will not know unless you put it on a dyno and compare #'s to others with same set up as yours.
Old 12/17/10, 12:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The comparison being made to your friends Subaru may be part of the problem. Those cars are very small with a lot of power. The Mustang is bigger and heavier so compared to the Sub it may feel less nimble or quick.
Old 12/17/10, 12:25 PM
V6 Member

I would think if you were losing power because of the clutch it would be fairly obvious, especially on the highway going up hills. Also, I would think there would be a distinct odor after driving it hard.