The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Another scratches on paint thread. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/another-scratches-paint-thread-539525/)

70monte 11/18/15 08:05 PM

Another scratches on paint thread.

2 Attachment(s)
I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread so I started my own. This damage happened two weeks ago when I was on my way to Texas for vacation.

A truck in front of me hit some type of flat piece of wood and it became airborne. I swerved to miss it but ran over part of it and I guess it kicked up and hit the front right corner of my bumper.

Do you guys think this is repairable without a repaint? Most of the scratches you can not feel if you run your finger nail across them but a few you can.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psgo3fuigs.jpg
Attachment 186435
Attachment 186436

Thanks, Wayne

SpectreH 11/18/15 08:30 PM

I'm sure some of that will buff/polish out, but probably not all of it, unless you have better luck than I usually have.

GT_Dave 11/18/15 10:01 PM

Hard to tell from the pics, Might be OK with fine sanding and shoot clear over. Some of those edges look to be hit pretty deep for a buffing solution. A good body shop should be able to evaluate what is the best approach based on if there is too much damage to the color layer.

Horspla 11/19/15 05:54 AM

Yes, that one appears to be completely repairable by buffing. I was "gifted" one like that too, but smaller in area, about 4 months after I bought the car. I took it to a body shop and they buffed it out for me. Their paint guy did such a nice job I couldn't tell the paint had ever been damaged. He used a rotory with a progression of compounds...not something the average Joe is probably going to have the talent or right equipment to tackle. I know I wasn't about to try!

John

14BlackGT 11/19/15 12:13 PM

The truck driver didn't notice, huh?

Can your insurance cover a repaint? Comprehensive? Hit and run?

Coyote5-0 11/19/15 02:12 PM

That should be covered under comprehensive with 0 deductible as "no fault of your own"...but your premiums may increase if you have multiple claims.

70monte 11/19/15 11:59 PM

I have a $500 deductible on comprehensive and collision so I doubt filing an insurance claim would be worth it.

I had to have the rear bumper repainted when the car was new due to the selling dealer messing up the paint before delivery and their shop charged them about $430 to do that.

I will take it tomorrow to the local body shop and see what they say. This is the same place the local dealer uses to do all of their work and I've had them do stuff in the past and have been satisfied. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Wayne

Coyote5-0 11/20/15 05:29 AM

Might be time to change up that insurance policy. But yeah, getting the bumper repainted shouldn't cost too much. I'd use it as an opportunity to fix any existing chips on the bumper and then plan to have a clear bra installed shortly after. If you had a clear bra, those scratches probably wouldn't have happened. I made the mistake of not getting a clear bra and have 3 big chips in my front bumper from road debris. Once I get it repainted, I'm getting a clear bra for sure!

88lx50 11/20/15 07:50 AM

It will buff out. Bring it to a competent detail guy and no one will ever know it happened.

JoeMidnight 11/20/15 08:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I see your scratches and I raise you TWO passenger side door dents parallel to one another, directly impacted along the crease lines of the door. This is courtesy of a lovely Black Mercedes AMG SUV, on a dinner date with the wife a few weeks. ago.

Yep, I know is that was black Merc. I just never thought to look at my car the night of because it was such a nice vehicle parked next to me.

Coyote5-0 11/20/15 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight (Post 6954994)
I see your scratches and I raise you TWO passenger side door dents parallel to one another, directly impacted along the crease lines of the door. This is courtesy of a lovely Black Mercedes AMG SUV, on a dinner date with the wife a few weeks. ago.

Yep, I know is that was black Merc. I just never thought to look at my car the night of because it was such a nice vehicle parked next to me.

dang...that zero f**ks given lifestyle of the Mercedes owner :shame:

JonsMustang 11/20/15 01:27 PM

Quixx Scratch repair kit. Comes with everything you need.

Scarpi 11/20/15 03:38 PM

70monte, you might try a bit of polishing compound very gently on a damp cloth. It may remove the scratches that you cannot feel. Then follow up with some wax. Good luck.

70monte 11/20/15 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JonsMustang (Post 6955018)
Quixx Scratch repair kit. Comes with everything you need.

I actually bought that kit while on vacation and used it and initially it looked pretty good but on the return trip back home, we ran into a huge rainstorm and after stopping for lunch, I looked at my bumper and it looked like I had never used the kit. It was like it washed the polish or whatever the stuff was off.

It's currently at the body shop and the guy said he should be able to make it look almost like it never happened. I guess we will see.

Wayne

70monte 11/20/15 04:49 PM

I just got the car back and they did a very good job. There is one small place above the light that you can faintly see something because it was a little deep and the area on the leading edge of the bumper near the tire that is fairly low on the bumper was not done because they were afraid of burning through the clear.

They also fixed another scuff from another incident that was a little more toward the front of the bumper and filled in a few places that the were down to the black plastic from rocks with touch-up paint. They also gave me touch-up paint in a bottle as well as washed the car. All for $50

I'm happy with it. It was too dark to take pictures but I will try to take some soon.

Wayne

70monte 11/20/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 14BlackGT (Post 6954896)
The truck driver didn't notice, huh?

Can your insurance cover a repaint? Comprehensive? Hit and run?

I don't know if he did or not. The piece of wood was already on the road when he ran over it.

Wayne

VidPro 11/21/15 06:23 AM

This angers me. So many d-bags out there that don't give a rat's behind about someone else's property. If I saw it happen to my car I might be in jail. This is why I take my crappy Taurus whenever I have to park in a lot for a while.

Can a ding repair place do anything with that? I would imagine on the crease it's very difficult to repair.

elkk 11/21/15 08:26 AM

I hope you got even.....

70monte 11/21/15 02:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the repair.
Attachment 186428
Attachment 186429

wayne

TheReaper 11/21/15 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 70monte (Post 6955148)

Looks really good, I thought the car was totaled,:jester: