2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Am I crazy for wanting a Mustang GT over a Z4 M?

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/11, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
....must not join...discussion...about nav.....
Come on in, where do you stand?
Old 4/29/11, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the man clearly does not know how to adjust a seat...WHAT!!???!

Come on, we all know the 'Stang headrests are a joke. Otherwise, there would not be an aftermarket for HEADRESTS. What other cars have aftermarket headrests? I know exactly what he is talking about. There should be an adjustment on the standard headrests - they hit me wrong too. I rented a Mustang and had to extend the headrest all the way out to full height so it didn't push my head into my chest.

I do not sit wrong or not understand how to adjust a seat - I am 5'-9", average weight and do not have severe scoliosis (sp?). So I am sure the OP and myself are not the only ones who have noticed the way-too-far-forward-angle of the Mustang headrests. I am sure the way they are designed is a safety thing, but how safe is it really to have to fully extend the headrest so it doesn't force my head into an awkward position? There are multiple posts on this site that discuss whether or not the Fusion or Escape headrests will fit in the Mustang seat holes.

Anyway, I agree with mrdogface, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. I will definitely still get a Mustang.

Some people turn their headrests backwards - there are aftermarket headrests that match pretty decent. Either way, there are ways around it.
Old 4/29/11, 05:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Come on in, where do you stand?
Look at my sig, IMO the NAV is a must unless you just don't like techy stuff. I have an EVO 4g and the NAV unit only enhances it. The huge Nav screen is much better for navigation than the one on my EVO and I don't have to worry about the phone being charged, wires everywhere, etc.

And mrdogface the NAV has voice command for navigation too

Everyday before I hop on the freeway I hit "map" on the nav and check the traffic. Works like a charm

I have more points, but I don't wanna be a thread hi-jacker
Old 4/29/11, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VALCAD
Yes, the man clearly does not know how to adjust a seat...WHAT!!???!

Come on, we all know the 'Stang headrests are a joke. Otherwise, there would not be an aftermarket for HEADRESTS. What other cars have aftermarket headrests? I know exactly what he is talking about. There should be an adjustment on the standard headrests - they hit me wrong too. I rented a Mustang and had to extend the headrest all the way out to full height so it didn't push my head into my chest.

I do not sit wrong or not understand how to adjust a seat - I am 5'-9", average weight and do not have severe scoliosis (sp?). So I am sure the OP and myself are not the only ones who have noticed the way-too-far-forward-angle of the Mustang headrests. I am sure the way they are designed is a safety thing, but how safe is it really to have to fully extend the headrest so it doesn't force my head into an awkward position? There are multiple posts on this site that discuss whether or not the Fusion or Escape headrests will fit in the Mustang seat holes.

Anyway, I agree with mrdogface, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. I will definitely still get a Mustang.

Some people turn their headrests backwards - there are aftermarket headrests that match pretty decent. Either way, there are ways around it.
It's simple angles, dude. If his head is being pushed forward. He doesn't have the seat back far enough. Simple math
Old 4/29/11, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I've played around with it plenty. It seems best slightly reclined with the head rest all the way at the tallest height. Still not perfect though.

I did read through some of the posts - it seems the Escape headrests may be best if not the aftermarket MRT headrests. I just wouldn't want to get into a wreck and have insurance wahhhhh because I used a different headrest. I'll check with my insurance company and see if that's actually an issue. I'll drive it around for another hour or so and test more things out, but it's likely that if I buy the Mustang the headrests have to go.

Last edited by mrdogface; 4/29/11 at 05:14 PM.
Old 4/29/11, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Even my wife thinks Z4s are chick cars
Old 4/29/11, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The mere fact that you are considering it means that the Mustang is not for you.
Why is that, exactly? I've owned a long list of Mustangs, will probably have more in the future, but still love Euro performance cars. Not sure why they have to be mutually exclusive...?
Old 4/29/11, 09:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD
Oh I am loving this discussion.

Notice how the BMW is not even mentioned anymore? Ha! I would definitely get the Mustang over the Bimmer. A lady in our office has a Z4 coupe...it suits her, being that she is a female girl woman and all. It's a cute car. The Mustang is a Man's car. Sounds like a man's car and scares many woman away from driving it. Manly <Tim Allen grunting sounds here>.

Plus, there are tons of cool people and clubs to hang out with your Mustang. And only one or two people there will be wearing extra tight shirts and designer sunglasses at night. I believe that is dress code for a BMW get together.
If you're going Bimmer sport, I'd pretty much buy anything BUT the Z4. M3, even the diesel 3 series.
Old 4/29/11, 09:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert

Why is that, exactly? I've owned a long list of Mustangs, will probably have more in the future, but still love Euro performance cars. Not sure why they have to be mutually exclusive...?
I was wondering that too
Old 4/30/11, 06:37 PM

Z4 M was still my second favorite car out of the 25 or so I drove. A lot were not near as fast but still a fun mix of luxury and power. Actually the new Porsche Boxster w/ PDK was probably the most fun but hauling space is nothing, I don't like the look, and it's a lot more expensive. Plus I didn't like the Porsche manual trans as much and I want to have at least one manual trans car in my life. I really like the Mustang's. Not too hard of a clutch and it's a good one for me to grow into.

In any case, I've seen a few discussions on headrests and how they affect insurance claims. I called my insurance company (Progressive) to ask if there would be any issue using 3rd party headrests if physical damage was inflicted on my in an accident. They said it doesn't affect me for whichever headrests I use. They obviously couldn't speak for other insurance companies but they said if I was hurt by somebody else who also had Progressive they would cover me with those headrests. It's still possible that someone could raise a fuss but unlikely, especially if I go with something reasonable. It's also statistically unlikely I even have to worry about it, but I figured I would be safe.

I'll probably order the adjustable MRT headrests. Any other better options?

Very doubtful I buy nav. I love technology, but I can't justify the expense. I don't like to enter addresses and would much rather say the exact location where I'm going. I can do this on my phone and I can't on Ford's nav. Also, the 12V is in a super smart place - right above the Sync screen in between the middle A/C vents. There will barely even be any wires visible at all putting my phone there.
Old 5/3/11, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Please post pics when you get 'er.
Old 5/3/11, 06:45 PM

I just placed the order yesterday and put down my $500 to reserve it. Price is at invoice but adding up 3.73, HID lights, Brembo brakes, comfort package, 401a, and rear view camera gets expensive! Plus there's a stupid $500 advertising assessment. Some brief searching on my phone while at the dealership made that seem standard and money that the dealer doesn't see so I didn't argue it.

The order actually goes out to Ford on Thursday so I could change things if I wanted tomorrow. The only thing I'm not sure of are the HID lights + security package for $810. I mainly drive in the (well lit) city so I'm wondering if it's worth almost a grand for this package. Plus HID lights cost more to replace and I think the Mustang looks better with the normal lights.

I was originally getting it for the security package and the reverse sensing system seemed silly with the camera. Y'all have been super helpful thus far. Anyone want to comment on HID lights vs. reverse sensing system and more importantly - the usefulness of security package? What about getting the reverse sensing system instead of the camera and HID? Progressive said no discount for security package so insurance reduction is not a factor.

Oh and pics will definitely be posted once the car is in...the least I could do.

Last edited by mrdogface; 5/3/11 at 06:46 PM.
Old 5/3/11, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

You'll actually be able to change the order until it gets sent to plant. Thursday is just when it gets sent to Ford. you'll have a bit of wait until it gets sent to plant for production.
Old 5/4/11, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I haven't done it yet myself, but if you join Mustang Club of America for $50 a year, you can get the x-plan pin and save some doe. Not sure if that $500 ad fee goes away, but it might lessen it - otherwise, it sounds like you got a good price.

What color exterior and interior did you go with? The only other thing I personally would add is the glass roof. I know it is a novelty, but it seems rare and useful. But another $2000.

Congratulations!! I can't wait for the day I can say I have ordered mine.