2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

All Season Tires vs performance tires

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/12, 10:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
255/50's are 2 inches bigger in diameter than the stock 255/40's, and throw off the speedo by almost 8%.

Why you would want to do that is beyond me.
They're 1.75" taller than my stock tires, so my car is 7/8" higher than stock now. You're more than welcome to PM me if you'd like to hear my reasoning for these very tall tires. Oh, and my speedo is spot on since I have an SCT tuner.

Back on topic, though, the Continental DWS's are awesome in wet, freezing, and light snow, while still being above average in the summer. I've used them on 4 of my cars now.

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 5/9/12 at 10:59 PM.
Old 5/9/12, 11:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
They're 1.75" taller than my stock tires, so my car is 7/8" higher than stock now. You're more than welcome to PM me if you'd like to hear my reasoning for these very tall tires. Oh, and my speedo is spot on since I have an SCT tuner.

Back on topic, though, the Continental DWS's are awesome in wet, freezing, and light snow, while still being above average in the summer. I've used them on 4 of my cars now.
Do you find the Continentals have close to the same snap off the line that the Brembo package stock tires had? I have the 19" P-zero neros and they suck. It takes all the snap out of the launch that the Brembo car I test drove had. It feels like the tires are made out of glass.

I'm in central Kentucky, so the winters can be pretty mild most of the time but occasionally bad, and it's definitely below 40 during winter, but it's really not worth dedicated winter tires.
Old 5/10/12, 08:04 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
Do you find the Continentals have close to the same snap off the line that the Brembo package stock tires had? I have the 19" P-zero neros and they suck. It takes all the snap out of the launch that the Brembo car I test drove had. It feels like the tires are made out of glass.

I'm in central Kentucky, so the winters can be pretty mild most of the time but occasionally bad, and it's definitely below 40 during winter, but it's really not worth dedicated winter tires.
The Pirelli summer tires on the Brembo GT's do hook up pretty good on warm, dry pavement. The Conti's are close. The Pirelli all-season tires suck, as you noted.

Change to wet or cold weather and the Pirelli summer tires don't work nearly as well as the Conti's. I am always amazed how well my Conti's stick when it's wet and/or cold - it feels like I'm driving on warm, dry pavement in spite of seeing rain and or the mercury falling - the Conti's are that great!
Old 5/10/12, 11:27 AM
GT Member

I live in Charlotte, NC and just spent my first winter season here after moving from Orlando, FL. I used the Pirelli Summer's that come with the Brembo package with no issues. Most mornings it was in the 30's or 20's and I would simply take it easy and drive as if there was ice everywhere. I had no spin-outs and no accidental loss of traction. Granted there was no ice this winter as it was a mild one, but in dry, less than 40 degree F temps, the Pirelli Summer's were fine traction-wise with a little caution.

Also, keep in mind that I have 16,000 miles on these tires so the tread is not what it used to be. They will need replacing soon.
Old 5/10/12, 01:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
You should look into the nitto motivos they look like they could be the new all season tires to have.
I was thinking about getting these and buying some 20's to mount them on. I don't drive that aggressive so I figure these would be good enough. I have a set of 19" winter tires should I need them. I'll be in Ga. sometime next year and the winters down south are usually not harsh so a good all season tire should get me through it. If you have them, how do you like them?
Old 5/12/12, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

I replaced my Brembo Brake package summer only tires with Zeon RS3-A's and in my opinion they are awesome. I drove my car from VA to my sisters in CT with the original tires in October and they scared the hell out of me. No grip whatsoever when it got cold (below 45). I have had the RS3-A's since early November and they have been great in every weather situation including now that it has warmed up. I see no noticable difference from OE. And they are very resonably priced at Discount Tire online. If you compare them to a Pilot Sport AS they are a steal!

http://mustangs.about.com/od/accesso...Rs3A-Tires.htm