The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   83k miles, HVAC smells terrible (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/83k-miles-hvac-smells-terrible-544762/)

lsxjunkie 10/25/17 07:22 PM

83k miles, HVAC smells terrible

I have the worst mildew smell from my HVAC if I have it running without the A/C on or on recirc. I want to spray/disinfect the evaporator coil, but I have no idea how to get to it.

Any ideas?

TheReaper 10/25/17 08:39 PM

Have you changed the cabin air filter lately ?

Bert 10/26/17 04:13 AM

^^^^ yep, always do the simple things first . . . I would not be surprised if the cabin air filter has never been changed, could be all kinds of nasty.

I recently changed the filter in my daughter's Camry and you would not believe what I found in there . . . a mouse nest, a bunch of acorns, filter was black from all the rat sh*t . . . . smells much better now!

David Young 10/26/17 04:53 AM

You can buy an 'charcoal activated' cabin air filter for just a few more dollars, that will neutralize odors :)

lsxjunkie 10/26/17 05:48 AM

I change the cabin air filter every summer. I've tried spraying coil cleaner in the hole behind the cabin air filter with the AC on full blast, but that only covered up the issue for about a month.

An activated charcoal filter will only reduce smells coming in from outside. It won't solve the issue of smells already in the system.

Any tips on getting to the coil itself?

wanted33 10/26/17 11:38 AM

Over time an HVAC will develop mold in the system from being shut down with moisture in the vents, etc. I know that the best thing to do is let the fan run a bit after stopping to dry the moisture, but it's something I just don't do, and yep my '13 has a musty smell at the start of winter. I noticed it the other day. Give it awhile, and many times it will dissipate. YMMV

Bert 10/26/17 12:58 PM

I wonder if blasting the heat on high for a while might clean it out?

wanted33 10/26/17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 7021702)
I wonder if blasting the heat on high for a while might clean it out?

I'm thinking that's what eventually clears mine up Bert.

2k7gtcs 10/26/17 06:43 PM

Did your wife take her boots off in the car?

Mine did that yesterday and wow I think I need a new interior.

:jester:

m05fastbackGT 10/26/17 08:33 PM

:lol:

:rofl2:

wanted33 10/27/17 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs (Post 7021716)
Did your wife take her boots off in the car?

Mine did that yesterday and wow I think I need a new interior.

:jester:

So, you want me to risk my life by replying.......after all these years that woman just knows when I say something. Then :slap: :grin:

GrnT 10/28/17 04:27 PM

Take the cabin filter out. Open the car up. Turn the AC and fan on high. Spray a can Lysol disinfectant spray into the hole that your cabin filter covers.
You can use a sent that isn’t as strong or is to your liking. I used almost a half of a can of spray. Your trying to disinfect the condenser coil to kill off the mold spores.
Put in a new cabin filter.
I always run with the AC on even when it’s cooler outside.
Give it a try. Maybe two tries.