2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

5% tint added

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/11, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran 5% on my 04 GT, and as others have said, it is a biotch at night. Especially having to leave for work at 4:30 am.

I went 20% all the way around on the '11. It seems to be a good compromise. Dark enough to make it hard to see into the car and keep the sun intrusion down, but not to dark to cause problems at night.

Old 5/25/11, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ScottH
I ran 5% on my 04 GT, and as others have said, it is a biotch at night. Especially having to leave for work at 4:30 am.

I went 20% all the way around on the '11. It seems to be a good compromise. Dark enough to make it hard to see into the car and keep the sun intrusion down, but not to dark to cause problems at night.

I like the 20% looks on your Mustang. I think that's about what i'm looking for. The 35% fronts to make it legal in Texas bugs me. I'd hate to get 20% and not be able to pass the state inspection. Call me chicken but i just don't want to go through the hassle.
Old 5/25/11, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cd4537
Added 5% tint today.
By the way, your Mustang looks sweet with that tint.
Old 5/25/11, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jjS89LX
EDIT EDIT..... Ask for prices all around. Tomball when I bought my car from them last year in June they wanted 250 to tint my windows, but would not do tint the way I wanted. Tomball tinters did mine $150 cash, for 5% all around. You might find it cheaper... And just as a review, Tomball tinters did mine, and as it does look good, I do have what looks like stretch marks in the tint, Looking out the window you don't notice them, but staring at the window you do. I have four evenly spaced marks in my drivers side window about 3/4" long. One mark on my passenger side, and two in my rear windshield.

legal in texas is 35%

Most people can pull off 20% on the side windows and 5% on the rest...

I personally have rolled around with 5% on my first car, Double 5% on my second ( Never again except my back windshield) and I now have 5% on the new mustang...
Tombal Ford gave me a quote of $299 to get the tint done. They do use an outside shop. I didn't ask who they use. Guess i should find out. I did call a different place that gave me a quote of $200 with Carbon tint. Again, not sure what kind of tint Tomball Ford gets on their cars. I guess that's a sign that i need to ask more questions instead of just letting them do whatever. I may check out Texas Tinters in Conroe. A co-worker of mine got his 2010 Camaro SS tinted there and it looked like they done a good job (without inspecting it thoroughly inside out). Anyways, $299 sounds steep; but, do you think it will be less hassle to let Ford make sure it is right? Decisions, decisions...
Old 5/25/11, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the interior pics.
Old 5/25/11, 10:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GrabbGT
I like the 20% looks on your Mustang. I think that's about what i'm looking for. The 35% fronts to make it legal in Texas bugs me. I'd hate to get 20% and not be able to pass the state inspection. Call me chicken but i just don't want to go through the hassle.
You do not need working windows to pass inspection. Usually out of sight is out of mind. I usually roll mine down, although I have gotten by with them up. Roll the windows down and pull the fuse to the window switch if inspection is a problem.
But I do understand your hassle to this and thoughts.

Even with cops I understand. I've only had trouble once on 249 headed north from the beltway and I ended up passing a state trooper in the next lane and I'm not sure if it because he couldn't get over from a lady doing 50 or my mufflers missing at the time, but he gave me a warning for no front plate and wrote the ticket for the tint. Ignoring the missing mufflers. I've had my car tinted two days after I bought it so it's almost been a year. It's a $115 for the ticket for the cypress wood court house. And just as a clue incase someone says I must not drive it much, I bought it new with 250 or so miles and now approaching 18,000 and June will be a year of ownership.

Tombal Ford gave me a quote of $299 to get the tint done. They do use an outside shop. I didn't ask who they use. Guess i should find out. I did call a different place that gave me a quote of $200 with Carbon tint. Again, not sure what kind of tint Tomball Ford gets on their cars. I guess that's a sign that i need to ask more questions instead of just letting them do whatever. I may check out Texas Tinters in Conroe. A co-worker of mine got his 2010 Camaro SS tinted there and it looked like they done a good job (without inspecting it thoroughly inside out). Anyways, $299 sounds steep; but, do you think it will be less hassle to let Ford make sure it is right? Decisions, decisions...
I want to say the dealership is carbon tint, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

There is tomball tinters, which did my car. And I had a friend that paid $140 to have her escape tinted legally of course off main street after the rail road tracks on the right. He's really good. Can not remember his name or anything other than he does it in a garage in the back and it is right after the performance shop(headed out of tomball to spring.)

I've never had a hassle with window tint regardless of work (Most take pride in their work, because word of mouth is more-less their advertising). Now I have heard of another guy that does window tint and is suppose to be cheaper than tomball tinters and can do the back windows of corvettes and such with no bubbles or anything. I'd have to ask a friend tomorrow afternoon his name and number along with location.

Never have heard anything about window tint in conroe, but it isn't something I also fallow often. Just know what friends have recently had done and what I've had done myself.

Everyone I mention has a lifetime warranty. Only way you will have a problem is if you do 5% as most will not write a receipt incase you are pulled over and say this shop did the work. Kind of like exhaust shops and the emissions removal.

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
Thanks for the interior pics.
No problem. Sorry I don't have a night picture, but I'm sure you can imagine the reflection of the gauges being my shirt and interior was reflected.
Old 5/25/11, 10:47 PM
V6 Member

Now, I have heard of friends that were pulled over for window tint being too dark and them being able to get out of the ticket; by bringing a receipt for window tint being redone to the court house and getting out of it. Hell I've heard of one where he went up to walmart and bought 13 bucks worth of tint and brought the receipt to the court house and had the ticket dropped and then went back and returned the tint. I personally just paid the ticket and went on with my day.
Old 5/26/11, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, I've been back and forth over this in my head. Even told the dealer yesterday that I was gonna go ahead and get them to have it done. Now, I've decided to tell them it's a no go on the tint. $299 is too much when all they do is the same thing i can do by taking it to a local tint shop. I've made some progress in my head on what shade of tint I want thanks to the help from others here. I'm gonna go to a reputable place, make up my mind there and save an extra $100 - $150. (which can go towards something else for my car) Thank you everyone.

Last edited by 2012GrabbGT; 5/26/11 at 10:54 AM.
Old 5/26/11, 02:02 PM

more 5% pics

More pics of my 5% tint (all the way around). Every job has it's perks! And I must say, I'm not hypocritical. I don't write tint tickets. (unless the person's being a jerk)
Attached Images      
Old 5/26/11, 02:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't realize you were a LEO. I've had my share of tint tickets/warnings in other cars, but it doesn't stop me. I just roll all my windows down, put my hands on the wheel, and respect the cop. I fight it and see where it goes after that.
Old 5/26/11, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
Didn't realize you were a LEO. I've had my share of tint tickets/warnings in other cars, but it doesn't stop me. I just roll all my windows down, put my hands on the wheel, and respect the cop. I fight it and see where it goes after that.
20 years! Here in NY, most of us don't bother with window tint. There are a few occasions when we have to write them on state funded roadblocks. I can certainly appreciate the looks of a nice car with dark tint! On the other hand, I understand the officer safety issue too! I work in a "bad" section 2 days a week and it's tough walking up to certain cars (with tint) at night. The respectful people will roll their windows down, turn on their interior lights and place their hands on the steering wheel. They NEVER get tickets!
Old 5/26/11, 02:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like here in MI they'll get you for anything, just to make money on you. You need to come to MI and patrol. Just don't work in Detroit. Or Flint.
Old 5/26/11, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

20 years! Here in NY, most of us don't bother with window tint. There are a few occasions when we have to write them on state funded roadblocks. I can certainly appreciate the looks of a nice car with dark tint! On the other hand, I understand the officer safety issue too! I work in a "bad" section 2 days a week and it's tough walking up to certain cars (with tint) at night. The respectful people will roll their windows down, turn on their interior lights and place their hands on the steering wheel. They NEVER get tickets!
Good tips on how to avoid getting a ticket for tint being too dark. 35% is to light in my opinion. Looks like I might be "breaking the law" when I get mine tinted. Probably do 15 or 20% on the fronts and 15 or 5% in the rear window. Thanks for all that you do in protecting/serving.
Old 5/26/11, 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

Good tips on how to avoid getting a ticket for tint being too dark. 35% is to light in my opinion. Looks like I might be "breaking the law" when I get mine tinted. Probably do 15 or 20% on the fronts and 15 or 5% in the rear window.

Good choice I definitely regret just getting 35% to be "kind of" legal, especially on a black car. But I will prob go with 15% once summer hits.
Old 5/26/11, 03:08 PM
V6 Member

More pics of my 5% tint (all the way around). Every job has it's perks! And I must say, I'm not hypocritical. I don't write tint tickets. (unless the person's being a jerk)

I like officers like you. I have noticed most Houston area and bigger towns do not mess with tint or front plates(unless they feel something else is up), but the little county guys will... That and very few state troopers.

Edit, Meant to tell you the car looks good. Very clean looking.
Old 5/26/11, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Heck state troopers i run into are chill as heck. Ok ill admit i was bein stupid on an empty back road, just repaved smooth as butter and i was finishing up my old tires. I was doin burnouts and WOT runs. He came down the road and pulled off to the side (guess he saw my lights) and sat there. He clocked me at 135 and he stopped me. I was just respectful and he just gave me a warning. He was surprised i was runnin stock cuz he said i got up to speed quick. Greatest convo with an officer ive ever had. A month later i get pulled over for goin 38 in a 35. He was bein a douche :/