2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 Mustang v6 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/14, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2014 Mustang v6 Upgrades

Hey! I'm new to the mustang world, and considering buying a 2014 V6 Premium Mustang AUTOMATIC (good gas mileage, cheaper than the 5-speed and the GT). When I purchase my car, what are the first upgrades performance wise that I should make? Things such as exhaust, CAI, Bama tune... And if I was to do those upgrades, what else would I need to upgrade in order for my car to work properly with those upgrades? THANKS!
Old 5/7/14, 05:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ryanw2011w
Hey! I'm new to the mustang world, and considering buying a 2014 V6 Premium Mustang AUTOMATIC (good gas mileage, cheaper than the 5-speed and the GT). When I purchase my car, what are the first upgrades performance wise that I should make? Things such as exhaust, CAI, Bama tune... And if I was to do those upgrades, what else would I need to upgrade in order for my car to work properly with those upgrades? THANKS!
I`m not slamming V6`s, as I own one. Everyone has their own reason on picking one over the other, but it seems like most people that pick the V6 over the V8 for upfront cost reasons end up spending more overall by the time they finish "upgrading it".

Also, on the tunes be sure you understand what WILL and what WONT affect or outright void your warranty.

Other than that, remember this will be YOUR car and modified and driven in the way YOU want it to be.
Old 5/7/14, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just added the Borla ATAK and Airraid CAI. Definitely improved the sound. Feels a little quicker but that could be from the mean exhaust note. I picked up all my stuff on CL for dirt cheap.
Old 5/7/14, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I also have a V6 auto I received in October. Best "mod" for me was not a mod at all - but the factory ordered 3.31 gear ratios. Very fun. Makes it quicker off the line without sacrificing too much in the mileage department. I'd suggest you get the same, or perhaps go all-out and get the V6 performance package which adds a few handling extras as well as better tires. All this is factory spec.

But as others have said, if you're going the performance modification route - it's probably best to start with a better baseline - a GT.

Cosmetic mods though? completely up to your taste!
Old 5/7/14, 10:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forum bro. A 2014 V6 premium is a fantastic choice. With the premium package your getting some creature comforts and love those leather seats. 305 HP is a great starting block for any mustang enthusiast and the 3.7 engine has an amazing building platform.

With some basic bolt on mods, one can easily achieve a low 13 second 1/4 mile pony and put 300 plus rwhp down. I would strongly recommend getting the performance package which is well worth the cost for what you get.

The first mod of any mustang has to be the mufflers. Out with the factory and hello aftermarket axle backs or a nice cat back system. Second mod, performance tuner and gears. Roll 4:10's because you want an automatic or no less than 3:73 gears bro. The gears will slam your car into a different league bro. Holy cow, you will think you gained 100 torque but you didn't. Ha ha ha! Then CAI intake time.

Hope this helps.
Old 5/7/14, 11:01 PM

Really appreciate the feedback guys! Keep them coming!
Old 5/8/14, 12:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm more of visual mod guy. I am more than pleased with the performance of the V6. I've already installed my springs and wheels are next in the list. I'm looking at ordering some grilles and CS rear valance too. Its up to you. No matter how much money you dump into the V6 it won't complete with the GTs however you can get it to look way better with some appearance mods.
Old 5/8/14, 03:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I'm more of visual mod guy. I am more than pleased with the performance of the V6. I've already installed my springs and wheels are next in the list. I'm looking at ordering some grilles and CS rear valance too. Its up to you. No matter how much money you dump into the V6 it won't complete with the GTs however you can get it to look way better with some appearance mods.
I have a take off CS valence (new) sitting in my garage. I sent u a PM.
Old 5/8/14, 06:48 AM
GT Member

I swapped out my mufflers for the flow masters, nice cheap sound. I also put in a k&n air filter. Together with a performance street tune the car drives really nice. I don't know if the transmission software was better since 2011, but mine sucks on shifting in stock form.
Old 5/8/14, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
I also have a V6 auto I received in October. Best "mod" for me was not a mod at all - but the factory ordered 3.31 gear ratios. Very fun. Makes it quicker off the line without sacrificing too much in the mileage department. I'd suggest you get the same, or perhaps go all-out and get the V6 performance package which adds a few handling extras as well as better tires. All this is factory spec.

But as others have said, if you're going the performance modification route - it's probably best to start with a better baseline - a GT.

Cosmetic mods though? completely up to your taste!
yes do gears! I had a '13 v6/auto vert for a loaner one day while my GT was in the shop. I know it's like 300hp, but it felt slower than a dog. prolly the gears were a big part.
Old 5/8/14, 09:38 AM
Former Vendor

Welcome to the Mustang world. It sounds like you're on the right track. We look forward to you getting your Mustang!

Exhaust, Intake, Gears and a Bama tune is a great set of mods. That will be a awesome start and will really wake your Mustang up!

Let us know when you pick up your ride and if you need any assistance!

-Dan
Old 5/9/14, 11:43 PM

Love all these comments guys, really appreciate it! What exhaust system do you guys recommend? I would like something not TOO loud while driving, but sounds mean still..
Old 5/10/14, 12:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Go with the ATAK. Its pretty aggressive but literally has zero drone. It can be pretty expensive. I got mine used in CL.
Old 5/10/14, 04:09 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Just go to youtube and you can hear any exhaust setup sold.
Old 5/10/14, 06:47 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you don't want to mess with a gear swap after buying the car, get the optional factory 3.31 gears (versus the standard/lame 2.73 gears). Or, get 4.10's installed after the fact. Handheld tuner (i.e. SCT) is a must to get a great tune which absolutely transforms these cars. And, I'm surprised nobody else has suggested an aftermarket stall converter for your transmission. Circle-D makes the best in the business, and is the biggest bang-for-the-buck short of forced induction!
Old 5/10/14, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
If someone dumps enough money into a 3.7 it surly can compete with a 5.0! Respectfully, what are you talking about bro?
Old 5/10/14, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Long tube headers and mid pipe such as high flowing or off road x pipe. If you don't want the x pipe sound you now can get Mac's H pipe for the 3.7 to fit Mac's long tube headers. I'm a fan of BBK but for some reason, BBK doesn't make a H pipe for its long tube headers, only x pipe.

Also , highly recommend a one piece aluminium driveshaft. It will free up rwhp with less rotational mass and provide faster off line acceleration.
Old 5/10/14, 08:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The v6 is a valid performance car and starting point even though the gt exists. Just like the gt is even though the gt500 exists. Don't let anyone tell you different. They are all mustangs after all. Buy what you want and have fun with it.
Old 5/10/14, 08:08 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What "5-speed" ??? All 2011+ Mustangs are 6 speed.

And the automatic cars cost MORE than the manual cars, automatic transmission is, I believe, a $1195 option.

And if gas mileage is a concern then why are you looking for speed mods even before you have the car?

My suggestion is to get the car and drive it a while before you start modding, see what things about the car don't live up to your expectations then work from there.
Old 5/10/14, 08:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Also consider how much money you'll be dumping into mods in the long run. It may be more logical to pick up a used GT.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang v6 Upgrades