2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 GT exhaust not loud enough

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/15, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all - I've got a 2014 GT Premium that I installed myself the Corsa quad tip axleback exhaust on (GT500 style). While at first I was extremely impressed with the noise level and tone change for being a muffler swap, after several months, I'm wanting even more of a growl out of my mustang. I find that on a cold start and cruising in 1-3rd at 2k-3k rpms, it sounds MEAN. Heads turn in the city. But once you punch it past that, the best I can describe the noise is "hollow". It just isn't loud or powerful enough for me anymore.

I have talked with a few local exhaust shops about what they'd recommend. One told me that resonator deletes make it TWICE as loud and raspy. He recommended getting headers instead. Another guy recommended going in stages and throwing on a cat-delete xpipe. The only issue there is that if I decided to step it up at a later point in time and add long tubes, I'd need a new shorty xpipe to fit. So essentially I'd have to do both headers and xpipe at the same time, and I'm worried this may be WAY too loud.

The only issue is that I do live in a neighborhood and don't want it sounding like a full on NASCAR speedway when I'm backing out of the driveway. What I'm looking for is a louder and more powerful, aggressive sound, and not "hollow" sounding like my current setup. I'm fine with being able to creep along at 1k rpm in my neighborhood, but once outside, I want to be able to let loose.

As far as functionality is concerned, I'm definitely into having more power. However, I won't be drag racing my car, just an occasional day to the track every once in awhile. Any helpful suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am totally clueless as to which route I should take. Thanks!!
Old 8/2/15, 11:00 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,138 Likes on 817 Posts
Love my Roush Axle backs. They are loud when accelerating, but tame when cruising down the freeway. Still able to have a conversation with the MRS... They give off a great rumble, with plenty of pop and crackle when letting of the gas. Get plenty of comment and questions. I love the way mine sounds and others seem to be impressed as well.

I did add the Boss side pipes as well. They really did not seem to make the car much louder, but gave it more of a surround sound affect. Do love the Blub, Blub idle from the side of the car.

Best of luck finding what you are after...
Old 8/2/15, 11:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Do the reso delete for now. I'd do all new OTA pipes actually, as I hate having cut and weld muffler shop pipe in my exhaust.

One of the guys in our crew has Corsa Extremes, Kooks LTs and Kooks off-road X. It pierces my ears when I'm behind him on the freeway. It's too dang loud lol. If anything I would do that setup, but with high flow cats. The Extremes sound really good with an X-pipe and no resonators.
Old 8/3/15, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cat delete and resonator delete. You will think it's loud then. If not, get your hearing checked.
Old 8/3/15, 09:51 AM

Cat delete and resonator delete. You will think it's loud then. If not, get your hearing checked.
Like I said - I don't want it to sound like a NASCAR race throughout my neighborhood.
Old 8/3/15, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ClayP
Hello all - I've got a 2014 GT Premium that I installed myself the Corsa quad tip axleback exhaust on (GT500 style). While at first I was extremely impressed with the noise level and tone change for being a muffler swap, after several months, I'm wanting even more of a growl out of my mustang. I find that on a cold start and cruising in 1-3rd at 2k-3k rpms, it sounds MEAN. Heads turn in the city. But once you punch it past that, the best I can describe the noise is "hollow". It just isn't loud or powerful enough for me anymore.

I have talked with a few local exhaust shops about what they'd recommend. One told me that resonator deletes make it TWICE as loud and raspy. He recommended getting headers instead. Another guy recommended going in stages and throwing on a cat-delete xpipe. The only issue there is that if I decided to step it up at a later point in time and add long tubes, I'd need a new shorty xpipe to fit. So essentially I'd have to do both headers and xpipe at the same time, and I'm worried this may be WAY too loud.

The only issue is that I do live in a neighborhood and don't want it sounding like a full on NASCAR speedway when I'm backing out of the driveway. What I'm looking for is a louder and more powerful, aggressive sound, and not "hollow" sounding like my current setup. I'm fine with being able to creep along at 1k rpm in my neighborhood, but once outside, I want to be able to let loose.

As far as functionality is concerned, I'm definitely into having more power. However, I won't be drag racing my car, just an occasional day to the track every once in awhile. Any helpful suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am totally clueless as to which route I should take. Thanks!!
Tough to provide a better option than what you had, as Corsas and Borla S-Types are the most popular (and best-sounding, IMO) on here, along with GT-500's. What about Borla ATAK's? Or sticking with what you have but adding headers?
Old 8/3/15, 10:41 AM

After doing more research, I'm definitely leaning towards an Offroad X and just swapping out into my stock if I need to take it in under warranty for whatever reason. I think this is the best option for me, as I'm not changing my mufflers at all for a better sound. (Corsa is way expensive and worth every $ IMO). Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I don't necessarily want to have to retune my car in order to get rid of the check engine light. I have heard about a small, cheap device that essentially tricks the O2 sensors into thinking you have cats? Does anyone know about this? Thanks again!

Last edited by ClayP; 8/3/15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 8/3/15, 12:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
how long have you had this mod, as for me resonator del and gt500 quads initially was not loud, but then again after few months it started to get loud.
Old 8/3/15, 12:10 PM

how long have you had this mod, as for me resonator del and gt500 quads initially was not loud, but then again after few months it started to get loud.
I still have my resonators; I have had the Corsa quad axleback on for about 3 months now.
Old 8/3/15, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Have you ever done cat deletes on a car? I don't think you know how loud that will be with Corsa Extremes. My recommendation based on you not wanting your car to sound like a nascar, is to just do the over axle pipes with no resonators.
Old 8/3/15, 02:20 PM

My recommendation based on you not wanting your car to sound like a nascar, is to just do the over axle pipes with no resonators.
I've heard that aftermarket OTA pipes are hardly any better than the stock ones. Is there any truth to this? If that's the case, would it be even worth investing in aftermarket OTA's with resonator deletes, or just going to a muffler shop and cutting out the resonators?

I know you said that you personally don't like that idea - I just need to know if it's even worth aftermarket OTA's - do they really increase airflow (and therefore sound) that much?
Old 8/3/15, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I've heard that aftermarket OTA pipes are hardly any better than the stock ones. Is there any truth to this? If that's the case, would it be even worth investing in aftermarket OTA's with resonator deletes, or just going to a muffler shop and cutting out the resonators?

I know you said that you personally don't like that idea - I just need to know if it's even worth aftermarket OTA's - do they really increase airflow (and therefore sound) that much?

This will help.
Old 8/3/15, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My stock pipes had huge pinches in the pipe that goes over the axle. It's not a huge difference, but it would smooth the sound out and make sure you have the most flow you can get, which is ideal. Basically if you plan on modifying your car further, you'd want to do it right the first time. I've done mods and replaces stuff I've bought, just because I tried to be "cost effective" the first time around, but then I end up buying what I wanted in the first place. Just trying to help your wallet out. If you only plan to get the exhaust sounding good and don't care about the minuscule difference (or better appearance) that aftermarket OTA pipes would give, then yes $50-100 at any muffler shop will do the trick haha