2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2012 GT first impressions: Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/11, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GT first impressions: Day 1

I really don't know where to start. This thing drives amazing. I went with the Auto and am so glad. I became a believer in Autos when I put a Lentech AOD in my 93' coupe. This Auto will not disappoint. The vehicle drives effortless in every situaton. I thought I was cruising about 60 mph and looked down and was going 80 (no joke and on more than one occasion). That surprised me alot and will have to be careful of that until I get accustomed to this beast. I haven't messed with the AdvanceTrac system yet but seems pretty simple after skimming the owner's manual. The acceleration is already awesome. It's going to be insanely sick when the Steeda tune and CAI arrive. If you are considering a new 5.0, consider no longer and go get it. If I had to put one negative on the vehicle, it would be the blind spots due to the pillars. However, Ford equipped the vehicle with blindspot mirrors so Kuddos to them for dealing with the issue. Well, I'm rolling out. I'm going to go find a Camaro and make it feel like it was on the wrong end of prison sex. 5.0 baby
Attached Thumbnails 2012 GT first impressions: Day 1-stangyard2.jpg   2012 GT first impressions: Day 1-stangyard.jpg  
Old 4/30/11, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
I I'm going to go find a Camaro and make it feel like it was on the wrong end of prison sex. 5.0 baby
LOL! The Kona Blue looks good.... Congrats! It's a lot of car for the money....

Oh, and a radar detector would be a good investment

Last edited by jimmbbo; 4/30/11 at 09:41 AM.
Old 4/30/11, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Day 2: Got a little more spirited in some corners (triple digits in Sport Mode). Man this thing handles amazing. Just as a comparison, My 2001 SS did not even remotely handle like the 12' GT; not in the same league. This car amazes me more and more every time that I get in it.
Old 4/30/11, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

If I had to put one negative on the vehicle, it would be the blind spots due to the pillars. However, Ford equipped the vehicle with blindspot mirrors so Kuddos to them for dealing with the issue.
If you've ever sat in a new Camaro, then you will see how good and negligible the blind spot on the stang really is. I've stopped twisting my body around and breaking my neck to check before lane turns; I have slowly gained the complete trust of the sideviews. I would agree that the quarter window is useless, but the side windows and rear are large enough to give you enough information on whats going on around you. With the Camaro, you feel like you're in a casket with a small window in front of you. I will never sit in the blind spots of a newer Camaro, if I can help it. Glad you like your new wheels, I know I am loving mine as well!
Old 4/30/11, 05:27 PM

The Mustang blind spot really isn't that bad. The Camaro and Corvette are much worse. In my test drives I've been able to get by without using the mirrors but of course it's a little easier once gotten use to.
Old 4/30/11, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice car! Great color, too!

Just today I was cruising down the highway at 72 mph, and had a car "pacing" me because he wasn't paying attention to his own speed. So, I leaned on the gas a bit just to pull ahead of him. Cruised along for a couple minutes until he was well behind me, I look down and I'm doing 90! hehehe... fortunately, no troopers on that part of the road.
Old 4/30/11, 11:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38

Just today I was cruising down the highway at 72 mph, and had a car "pacing" me because he wasn't paying attention to his own speed. So, I leaned on the gas a bit just to pull ahead of him. Cruised along for a couple minutes until he was well behind me, I look down and I'm doing 90! hehehe... fortunately, no troopers on that part of the road.
Man , and it is too easy to do in these cars. 80 literally feels like 60 in my car. I thought the speedo was off no kidding (checked it on gps).
Old 4/30/11, 11:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by brewsky54
If you've ever sat in a new Camaro, then you will see how good and negligible the blind spot on the stang really is. I've stopped twisting my body around and breaking my neck to check before lane turns; I have slowly gained the complete trust of the sideviews. I would agree that the quarter window is useless, but the side windows and rear are large enough to give you enough information on whats going on around you. With the Camaro, you feel like you're in a casket with a small window in front of you. I will never sit in the blind spots of a newer Camaro, if I can help it. Glad you like your new wheels, I know I am loving mine as well!
Never have driven one man (2010+ camaro but I've heard). Once I saw heavy the car was, it wasn't a consideration to test drive one. I did own a 2001 SS so I am not really a F*** off chevy guy. Ford just really got this one right like Chevy did with the LS1 Camaro in 98'. I can't get enough of this car
Old 4/30/11, 11:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38

Ha Ha, Thanks man, You too.

I did see the thread about "How many people have asked if you Kona is purple" LOL, I had an ol' hag actually ask me that today. Felt like slapping the Blue outta her hair.
Old 5/1/11, 04:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GT, that's a gorgeous purple Mustang man, Love it.
Old 5/1/11, 06:53 AM
GT Member

I wish I knew how good that 2012 drives. I'm sure it's a fine mixture of power and luxury.
Old 5/1/11, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never have driven one man (2010+ camaro but I've heard). Once I saw heavy the car was, it wasn't a consideration to test drive one. I did own a 2001 SS so I am not really a F*** off chevy guy. Ford just really got this one right like Chevy did with the LS1 Camaro in 98'. I can't get enough of this car
Ive sat in about 6 2010+ Camaros. Blind spots are freaking huge. Its scary
I went to the Chevy lot to look at Camaros (gana be buying a car soon) because i think they r good looking. Test drove it, and my dad was praying he didnt hit anything when he backed it back into its spot. Got out the car, said "no". Went to Ford lot, drove a V6, he said it wasnt bad at all. Lol

Last edited by SoFlo Mustang; 5/1/11 at 07:29 AM.
Old 5/1/11, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree on the Camaro's blind spots. First thing I noticed when I test drove was the HUGE A-Pillars. Immediately I thought "Well that's going to cause an accident." I really don't know how that interior design was approved from a safety standpoint. I guess the Camaro guys get used to it?

And the "moving faster than it seems" was something I definitely experienced and had to get used to the first week I had my 08 Mustang V6. I can only imagine it doubles/triples for a 5.0.

I had switched from a Firebird V6 and my average travelling speed was 60-70MPH on the highway with the FB. When I got the Stang, it didn't feel any faster so I was sure I was going the same speed, but I was getting annoyed that I kept finding the "slow traffic" on the highway... until I finally looked at my Speedometer and saw it was reading 95MPH.

Don't think my eyes have bulged quite so large as that time.
Old 5/1/11, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
2012 GT, that's a gorgeous purple Mustang man, Love it.

Good One!
Old 5/1/11, 10:41 AM

Great Color Choice

Love the color. I got my Kona GT delivered three days ago and I find myself just standing in the garage looking at her. I went back and forth between Kona and Black since Sterling was no longer available for 2012. I am glad I got Kona and like it better then Sterling now that I have it. Was concerned about looking purple and in bright sunlight had one friend ask if it was purple but he loved the shade. The first time my wife had time to look it over she said the color was georgeous. I agree. Great Choice.
Old 5/2/11, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
Love the color. I got my Kona GT delivered three days ago and I find myself just standing in the garage looking at her. I went back and forth between Kona and Black since Sterling was no longer available for 2012. I am glad I got Kona and like it better then Sterling now that I have it. Was concerned about looking purple and in bright sunlight had one friend ask if it was purple but he loved the shade. The first time my wife had time to look it over she said the color was georgeous. I agree. Great Choice.
Congrats man! I got off work this morning at 0730 after working 13 hours. I just got in(1030). I had to go cruise around about 75 miles. Love this beast!
Old 5/2/11, 09:13 AM
GT Member

Thumbs up

Congrats! You picked the right color. I actually like that it has some purple hints in it at times, kinda reminds me of Mopar's Plum Crazy and other wild colors.

And I'm secure enough with myself that I don't care if people do call it purple! Whereabouts in SC are you?
Old 5/2/11, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The Automatic was a good choice. Enjoy your new toy.
Old 5/2/11, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
The Automatic was a good choice. Enjoy your new toy.
What he said . Lots of luck beautiful car.