Old 11/30/11, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How do I move a post? Im new too this site
Old 11/30/11, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I do apologize for any misconceptions about my post. In no way am I downing your vehicle of choice or the Boss itself. The Boss is a legendary car and a awesome one at that. I like the boss very much. Ford built a great car such as the boss and all Mustangs included.

Again I do apologize for any Boss owner or any other car owner if in any way offended them. I actually don't even have a 5.0. I went for the sixer which suits my wants and needs for my pony car.
Went back and read your original post; not sure if I missed a question in there or were you just trying to tell all Boss owners that we have nice cars but over paid?

Mine will likely never see the track. I'm late 40's with the intent of keeping the car for 20+ years. I've been looking at getting a new Mustang for since the new design came out. I could never justify one; when the Boss came out, I couldn't resist. Absolutely love it.
Old 11/30/11, 08:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now Im retarded!
Old 11/30/11, 09:02 PM
GT Member

It wasa also to point out that I think the boss while awesome ,it is overpriced for the extras you get if one is not going to track race the car.
I think I hear what you're trying to say, and I don't think "overpriced" is really the word you're looking for. It's really a question of values, if all you really care about is peak hp then I agree the Boss would be a ridiculous choice. You have to want the Boss for other reasons to justify buying one to yourself. There're are reasons Ford isn't making very many of them.

Personally, I'd been saying for years that when Ford made a new Boss 302, unless they messed it up I was buying one. That was enough justification for me .
Old 11/30/11, 09:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kyfigfam

Went back and read your original post; not sure if I missed a question in there or were you just trying to tell all Boss owners that we have nice cars but over paid?

Mine will likely never see the track. I'm late 40's with the intent of keeping the car for 20+ years. I've been looking at getting a new Mustang for since the new design came out. I could never justify one; when the Boss came out, I couldn't resist. Absolutely love it.
Not saying people overpaid for the car they love and if it fits there needs. I think in general the Boss is priced a bit high compared to the Gt model and what Ford offers into the 5.0. I was just giving a person a view on if the Boss would suit there needs and perhaps a 5.0 would be more cost effective for similar performance for daily non race track drivers.
Old 11/30/11, 09:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think for 10 grand more, the difference between the 5.0 and the Boss are marginally small and not worth if your using the car for weekend rides or commutes to and from work. It was intended to be educational to point out potential future Boss buyers the 5.0 may be a better and more economical choice for their actual needs. This of course is based on what people tend to use there car for.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/30/11 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I like having this thread with the Boss threads. I search for viewpoints on the Boss here. As far as trying to make a GT like a Boss, you would have to spend almost as much on the GT to get the performance and look of the Boss. If I had a GT that I wanted to look like a Boss, I would have to replace the wheels and get Boss stripes. I bet that would cost another two thousand. I like the look of the Boss and that is what I would want my GT to look like. As is, the Boss is a great deal.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 11/30/11 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 09:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I like having this thread with the Boss threads. I search for viewpoints on the here. As far as trying to make a GT like a Boss, you would have to spend almost as much on the GT to get the performance and look of the Boss. If I had a GT that I wanted to look like a Boss, I would have to replace the wheels and get Boss stripes. I bet that would cost another two thousand. Ilike the look of the Boss and that is what I would want my GT to look like.
Im not saying to make a 5.0 look like a boss. Heck if that was the case just buy the Boss. If one bought a 5.0, gave it a 91 performance tune and cai the 5.0 would hang right with the boss on the 1/4 mile and 0-60. Straight shot and on the highway where most people do there driving. People who don't race there cars on road tracks will never utilize the benefits the Boss has to offer over a 5.0. On public roadways and 1/4 mile race tracks the 5.0 will pull hard and hang with the Boss. On the road course track the Boss is the king.

Its like a person buying an industrial heavy duty truck and only using it to haul there trash bags to the dump. They overpaid for a truck that didn't fit there needs just to say they have a heavy duty truck.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/30/11 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 09:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I paid the extra amount because i wanted a special edition Mustang, Driving to shows, tracks, cruise nights, the extra "aww" factor along with all the special engineering that went into the engine " internals" was well worth it, especially since a GT with some tasteful options take you into the high 30s. GT with options $37 grand, Boss $40 grand.
Old 11/30/11, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kona. Is everything all about the money for you? Because if it is the sooner you realize it and stop trying to justify everything by price the better off you'll be. Some unsolicited advise. You're clearly an expert on that.
Old 11/30/11, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I paid the extra amount because i wanted a special edition Mustang, Driving to shows, tracks, cruise nights, the extra "aww" factor along with all the special engineering that went into the engine " internals" was well worth it, especially since a GT with some tasteful options take you into the high 30s. GT with options $37 grand, Boss $40 grand.
The 41k price was for a base Boss and zero options which there are some like the Laguna package, etc. That price came from Edmunds true selling market value. You can get a base 5.0 with upgrade 3.73 gears for 29k. Edmunds online is accurate. If you pay thousands over what Edmunds reports as selling true market value for any vehicle model then that someone is paying too much and got ripped . Of course if you load the options up on the Gt you can spend 37k easy. If you load the options up on the Boss you can spend 47 k or more. So were back up to the 10k. Even all the upgrades from the dealer on the 5.0 isn't gonna make it faster than a base 5.0. Brembo brakes, electronic packages and wider tires do not make the car faster from straight acceleration purposes. Which is what most people do. They juice it a traffic light, (not implying street racing) or juice it while there doing 65 or higher going straight. Juice it after coming out of a corner from the road on the way home from Sunday Church or going to Waffle House. As far as investment goes. I don't buy a car to make money off of it. Cars value typically depreciate as the car gets older. Maybe with the Boss this holds not true and in fact they go up in value. I don't invest in cars. I bought my stang to drive, put miles on it. Run that pony until the wheels fall off, 15 years or so then buy another and repeat. Because im not an investor of cars I have no clue how much a Boss does or doesn't depreciate. I have no clue on how much a 5.0 depreciates as well. Again, im not buying the car to keep it in a garage and look at it. My joy comes from driving my stang and hearing the pony's scream and pull hard as I juice it.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/30/11 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 10:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Kona. Is everything all about the money for you? Because if it is the sooner you realize it and stop trying to justify everything by price the better off you'll be. Some unsolicited advise. You're clearly an expert on that.
Yeah, pretty much sir. Everything is about the bling. Ford builds cars to make money. This thread was just to educate a potential buyer of a mustang about some pros and cons of the difference between the 5.0 and Boss.

Perhaps your wealthy and can afford whatever car you want. (Not saying you are) That's great if your financially well off but not all of us are in the same boat. Some people are on a fixed budget and money does matter and look for advice on what's a good bang for the buck.

Honestly, im not sure why so many people are bent about this thread. No attacks were made about a Ford product nor attacks on the Boss itself. Just pointed out some facts and opinions based upon numbers. It gives a person who is in the market of purchasing a mustang to look at the whole picture and access what there wants are and what's good for there budget.

I think some people need to lighten up and relax.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/30/11 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Boss 302 crate engine is $12k+. 5.0 is about half that. Add the other track mods and the GT is probably higher cost.
Old 11/30/11, 10:59 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts

Honestly, im not sure why so many people are bent about this thread. No attacks were made about a Ford product nor attacks on the Boss itself. Just pointed out some facts and opinions based upon numbers. It gives a person who is in the market of purchasing a mustang to look at the whole picture and access what there wants are and what's good for there budget.

I think some people need to lighten up and relax.
Unless you worship at an alter with a Boss on it, praise it every time you make a post, and proclaim it to be the greatest car ever to turn a tire, you're going to have quite a few people around here bent out of shape. Hell, you can't even make a joke about a Boss without being told to not post in the Boss forum unless you own one, and better yet, just leave the site altogether.

I really don't get what it is about so many Boss owners that makes them so uptight, and feel so superior to any other Mustang owner.

Old 11/30/11, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Unless you worship at an alter with a Boss on it, praise it every time you make a post, and proclaim it to be the greatest car ever to turn a tire, you're going to have quite a few people around here bent out of shape. Hell, you can't even make a joke about a Boss without being told to not post in the Boss forum unless you own one, and better yet, just leave the site altogether.

I really don't get what it is about so many Boss owners that makes them so uptight, and feel so superior to any other Mustang owner.

Don't be dissing the Boss!!! :whatwhereamI: lol
Old 11/30/11, 11:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Clearly, but no jokes were made. I placed this in the boss forum because if someone was thinking about buying a Boss where would you go to get advice. The boss forum. No attacks were made and in fact I made numerous posts praising the Boss. I started out my first post saying the Boss was a great car. Heck I even made reference to the fact the Boss was the race track king. People need to get more fiber in their diet and relax. Good grief! You would think I said long live the Camaro Lt1.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/30/11 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11/30/11, 11:44 PM
GT Member

Yes, the Boss costs more and yes, it is expensive for 32 extra horsepower. I'm pretty sure that everyone on this sight knows that the Boss costs more than the GT and is aware that you can add horsepower to the GT and still be cheaper than the Boss. And yes, if all u were interested in was hp per dollar, the GT is a better value and the Shelby is probably an even better deal. I really don't think the people that bought Bosses were unaware of this. Special edition performance cars are not known for being built to be the cheapest option. Look at the M3 compared to the 335. The 911 GTS is an even better example it is 8 more horsepower and almost $8000 more money. If we only wanted hp for money we would probably be driving Hyundai Genesis Coupes or something
Old 11/30/11, 11:53 PM
Bullitt Member

What we 2012 owners went through was the angst of build date, ramp 51, back to plant, rail transit, local delivery by drivers afraid to damage the front splitter, et. alia., the wanting of the rebirth of the legend car as our own. I don't feel superior to any other vehicle owner of any make. I feel priviledged to regain my youth.
Old 11/30/11, 11:59 PM
V6 Member

If you want to get the GT (a superb vehicle) and save the cash, by all means do so. That said, the GT - even a kicked-up version - is nothing like a BOSS. The GT is street muscle car, the BOSS was designed on the track by Ford Racing.

For starters:

ENGINE/DRIVE TRAIN
Race-spec camshaft and bearings
Beefed up clutch
Short-shift gear box
CNC machined intake, exhaust ports and combustion chamber
High strength aluminum, CNC ported (exhaust and intake) heads
Forged pistons, rods and crankshaft
Heavy-duty valve springs
Sodium filled exhaust valves
Lightened valve components to withstand higher RPMs
Daytona "runner" type intake manifold
Quad exhaust
Improved oil delivery to include cooling system and baffling (8 quarts synthetic)
Larger radiator with improved internals

SUSPENSION/STEERING/CHASIS
Five position, driver adjustable shocks and struts
Improved larger front and rear stabilizers
Performance rated coil springs
Improved, stiffer suspension bushings
Re-tuned speed-sensitive electric steering system – three adjustable settings
Four piston Brembo braking system with performance pads, vented brake shields and reinforced brake-lines
Aerodynamic racing splitter
Lower ride height (11mm front, 1mm rear)
19" lightweight painted aluminum wheels w/ Pirelli P-Zeros (staggered - 9" front/10" rear)
Track key

PERFORMANCE
444 HP - with no turbo/forced induction

7,500 RPM redline (stable to 8,400)

0-60 3.93 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5eBwqiqMPU

1/4 mile: 12.3 seconds @ 115.8 MPH

Capable of 1+ lateral G

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302 or 2012 5.0