2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 Mustang gt 5.0 convertible performance?

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/10, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mustang gt 5.0 convertible performance?

I'd like to introduce myself

I have to admit that i was pretty pumped about the Chevy Camaro and I couldn't wait for the convertible version of it. I was pretty much convinced I was going to buy a camaro and didn't really consider the mustang because prior to 2005 the last mustangs I liked came from the early 70's late 60's. I was so hyped for the mustang concept but the actual production version changed a lot from the concept and i thought it looked out of proportion and bloated and not really as refined as that 2003 concept. To be fair i wasn't a big fan of the 4th f-body either.

Then came the 2010 redesign...it intrigued me but i thought well the camaro looks more like a bad @ss and its faster than the 2010

The 5.0 engine and the fact that the car is lighter with a much nicer looking interior and seems to be able to handle near an m3...has me pretty much considering the 2011 mustang instead of the camaro since perhaps the Camaro's exterior looks more menacing ...however the options on the camaro are just not there...the view from the rear is compromising and the interior lacks even an option for navigation. But the 5.0 has Sync...much better steering,and visibility and the front of the car looks a lot more like that 2003 concept...not a big fan of the rear design of the 2011 but its still a **** fine looking car...I only buy American and these 2 cars are legends and the car will be my toy hence why i'm considering the convertible

How does the performance (0-60, torque, handling,steering) measure up to its hard top counterpart??? I'm a muscle car guy and not into the ford vs chevy thing since i happen to like both companies
Old 7/21/10, 06:32 PM

Oh and one other question...If i want the brembo brake package do i have to get those wheels? I prefer the ones that come originally when you build them.

and when you build it online how come there is no spoiler delete option?
Old 7/21/10, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure about the performance difference but you have to get those wheels. It is part of the Brembo package.

The difference shouldn't be that noticeable. Perhaps a couple tenths of a sec. The 5.0s are quick. And unlike the Camaro the 5.0 has the same hp rating for both the 6M and 6A.
Old 7/21/10, 10:38 PM
GT Member

for the brembo package, you need those wheels. they were designed to fit over the brakes, the stock ones won't fit over them, at least what i've read. i'm also not sure what happened to the spoiler delete button on ford's build and price
Old 7/22/10, 05:07 AM
GT Member

I recommend you go test drive the hard top and convertible if possible at the same time.

My feelings after doing so are that the convertible is much less sporty, feels much heavier (float feeling), and slower. If it is about performance, then the vert will be a dissapointment compared to the hard top. I believe the vert only has one gearing option (3.31?) while the hard top you can get up to the 3.73 gears.

Now, I have tried to find one with the glass roof option to see how close to vert feeling it really is, but no dealership ever has one around me.
Old 7/22/10, 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

The convertible does not handle any where close to the M3 out of the box. Not sure if the coupe does either despite the claims by the pundits. That is unless of course BMW has significantly softened the new model M3. I just turned in my 06 M3 convertible, the last year of the old body style with the soft top. I loved that car fast and handled like a dream.

I have always liked the Mustang as I had a 67 mustang straight 6 as my first car. It was a piece of junk...lol But I loved it. So when the new 5.0 came out I made the jump back to Mustang. I only had one real complaint with the car and that was the handling. Everything else is much improved at least from the 06 M3. I have driven the new M3 and it is real nice as well. But I was not interested in spending as much money on a car this time around.

The Body roll and the weight transfer from front to back was a little unnerving in most types of driving esp coming from my M3 that was tight as hell. Fortunately I read a lot of Stinger1982 posts (who hasn't) So I contacted him and he set me up with Rehagen Racing They installed the frpp handling pack and adjustable pan head bar. Let me tell you what a difference. It now rides pretty **** close to the M3 levels. I can tell you it totally transformed the vehicle and now I dont miss my M3 at all.

The car is great but if you want to do any cornering in this car expect to pay less than 2k more to make this a truley remarkable machine. So skip the brembos as I did and just upgrade the suspension. Another $500(at my ford dealer) or so on gears and call it a day

Who says convertibles can't handle

Last edited by shotzy; 7/22/10 at 06:28 AM.
Old 7/22/10, 06:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Interesting coincidence – I own a 5.0 vert, and left it with the dealer yesterday (to replace a previously-diagnosed airbag module) who gave me a 2010 GT automatic coupe to keep overnight until my car is ready today.

I plan to provide a full write-up of observations in a new thread later, but let me say right now that while that convertible roof is magical, this coupe (and this was a 2010, before the detailed structural improvements made on the 2011) feels tighter in structure and handling. Bounce seems more controlled, and the cornering is just a bit flatter. Has me wishing I’d bought a coupe in lieu of a convertible, but it isn’t like I am full of regret or anything. No 5.0 coupe was available to test drive the day I test drove my ‘vert. Oh well.

As for speed, I see why the auto guys prefer their trannies (my ‘vert is a 6MT). Wow, if my erstwhile Accord V6 shifted this instantly I might still have it! Still I loathe having my right foot affect what gear I am in. Personal pref, but I now admit the auto is sweet! In general the 4.6 feels great in everyday traffic, but the 100-HP deficiency is noticeable when you open it up. This car had the 3.31 as does my ‘vert. I’ll must stress that my ‘vert feels ridiculously fast; it’s definitely NOT a lumbering hippo that another post here gave the impression of.

I can only imagine how good a Brembo-equipped 5.0 coupe with 3.55 or 3.73 must feel!

Shotzy – I simply MUST get the deets from you regarding those handling upgrades!

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/22/10 at 06:40 AM.
Old 7/22/10, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

It is the FRPP handling pack for the 2010 convertible plus an adjustable pan head bar. There will be a 2011 specific one coming out soon as the 2011 engine is slightly lighter but the 2010 works fine. As for the pan head bar I'm not sure what type as it was what they had on the truck when they did the install. It was done at the racetrack.

Rehagen Racing http://www.rehagenracing.com/

Speak with Dean. Really a top notch guy. The run the Grand AM races all over the country. They happened to be racing in New jersey which was about a 3 hour drive for me. So I met them at the track and they did the install right there. Really cool day. I will be making a thread about it very soon.

Here is a pic from the day.

This is the pack I put on

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11446
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Mustang gt 5.0 convertible performance?-lowered-install.jpg  

Last edited by shotzy; 7/22/10 at 07:14 AM.
Old 7/22/10, 09:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
It is the FRPP handling pack for the 2010 convertible plus an adjustable pan head bar. There will be a 2011 specific one coming out soon as the 2011 engine is slightly lighter but the 2010 works fine. As for the pan head bar I'm not sure what type as it was what they had on the truck when they did the install. It was done at the racetrack.

Speak with Dean. Really a top notch guy. The run the Grand AM races all over the country. They happened to be racing in New jersey which was about a 3 hour drive for me. So I met them at the track and they did the install right there. Really cool day. I will be making a thread about it very soon.

So, wasn’t an alignment needed (4-wheel alignment, or is that even done with a live-axle car, I cannot recall; I think it was called a “Thrust Angle alignment” back in the ‘80’s)? I am guessing they didn’t also do that at the track, or did they? BTW, thanks for the info.
Old 7/22/10, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I just had it done on Sunday and have been stuck at work most of the week. It will taking it to an alignment shop just to check everything out. We did some testing at the track and everything looked pretty good. But hard to do with uneven ground and all. But We were pretty confident it is very close to perfect. I guess I will see next week when I check it all out.
Old 7/22/10, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

I hate to admit it also but I myself ALMOST jumped the Camaro band wagon... At the time I didn't think Ford would be able to bring the POWER to the table to match the Camaro and challanger. About a 6 months ago I tried to go for a test drive for the camaro but had horrible service and didn't even get to talk to a sales rep I waited for one for about like 30 mins and then just left. Just waited around and then the rumors of the 5.0 and the v6 were TRUE and jumped on and got my 5.0.

You were looking for specs so here are some.

The 2011 Mustang GT

Power 412 HP @ 6500 RPM (Ford has stated 412, but from what everyone is saying is about 420-430)

Troque 390 LB-FT @ 4250 RPM

Redline 6800 RPM

Transmission 6 speed auto or 6 speed manual

Steering Ratio 15.8:1
Curb weight 3612 LBS

0-30 1.7 Secs

0-60 4.4 Secs

0-100 10.2

Quarter Mile 12.7 @ 111.3 MPH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the 2010 Chevy Camaro

Power 426 HP @5900RPM

Troque 420 LB-FT @ 4600 RPM

Redline 6600 RPM

Transmission 6 speed auto or 6 speed manual
Steering Ratio 16.1:1

Curb weight 3863 LBS

0-30 2.0 Secs

0-60 4.7 Secs

0-100 10.7

Quarter Mile 13.1 @ 110.8 MPH
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The handling on the 5.0 is being compared in many magazines I've read to the BMW M3.
(That says a lot about how good the handling is)

I def would recomend you to go for a test drive on both and pick up many of the magazines reviewing all 3 of the cars... Hands down everyone has chosen the 5.0 2011 GT over the camaro.

Last edited by DaSFGiants4Life; 7/22/10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 7/23/10, 03:17 PM

awesome thanks for the help guys i'm going to bookmark this page so i know what to do once i get the car...

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 7/26/10, 06:12 PM

also i noticed you said i can get the gears changed at the dealership. Is this true?
Old 7/26/10, 07:28 PM
Cobra R Member

The latest Car and Driver (September 2010) review of the 2011 GT Convertible confirms what I said above - the coupe is a much tighter, better handling package.

I am seriously considering trading in or selling my 'vert so I can get a coupe with 3.73 and Brembo (didn't know about the "Sport" setting exclusivity when I decided to pass on the Brembo pkg). This floppy package is not what I signed up for. Well, actually, I guess I DID sign up for it, but it wasn't intentional.

Adding to my frustration is my wife and kids' recently dialed-in dislike of the 'vert (it's a Hair Thing, and it's fairly universal among women, little did I know). What the Deuce?!?

Other advantages of the coupe:
- the driver's seat reclines all the way. On the 'vert it only goes back about 15 degrees so it won't scrape the rear armrests, which are offset due to the top. This is important to me as my commute includes a 15 to 20-minute sleep opportunity both ways.
- The stereo sounds a little better on the coupe. It sounds great on the 'vert, but in the coupe there's a little more participation from the rear speakers.
- The seat belt is easier to grab for us old guys with bad shoulders. The 'vert mounts it low, below shoulder height.
- The rear seats fold down on the coupe. SOL on the vert.

Not sure what to do at this point, but I could sell you my 'vert for a deal. 1800 miles, only mod is metal tire valve stem caps. :-)
Old 7/27/10, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
The latest Car and Driver (September 2010) review of the 2011 GT Convertible confirms what I said above - the coupe is a much tighter, better handling package.

I am seriously considering trading in or selling my 'vert so I can get a coupe with 3.73 and Brembo (didn't know about the "Sport" setting exclusivity when I decided to pass on the Brembo pkg). This floppy package is not what I signed up for. Well, actually, I guess I DID sign up for it, but it wasn't intentional.

FRPP handling pack. I am totally happy now. Much more balanced and fun ride. Almost as good as my 06 M3.

And I will be putting in gears at my local ford dealer. I am just waiting on the FRPP power pack to be available so they can set the Speedo and all. Still deciding on whether to get the 3.73 or maybe go nuts and get the 4.10

Adding to my frustration is my wife and kids' recently dialed-in dislike of the 'vert (it's a Hair Thing, and it's fairly universal among women, little did I know). What the Deuce?!?

You don't need the bar, I dont have one. This will eliminate the wind factor at least when you have 2 people in the car. Even her hair wont blow. My wife actually lets me put the top down now even if we go out. When you have more than 2 you are SOL.......lol I actually purchased one of these before the car even arrived. I had one for my M3 and would never consider having a vert without one. I really extends the season as well.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.a...cd2=1280233331

Other advantages of the coupe:
- the driver's seat reclines all the way. On the 'vert it only goes back about 15 degrees so it won't scrape the rear armrests, which are offset due to the top. This is important to me as my commute includes a 15 to 20-minute sleep opportunity both ways.
- The stereo sounds a little better on the coupe. It sounds great on the 'vert, but in the coupe there's a little more participation from the rear speakers.
- The seat belt is easier to grab for us old guys with bad shoulders. The 'vert mounts it low, below shoulder height.
- The rear seats fold down on the coupe. SOL on the vert.

Not sure what to do at this point, but I could sell you my 'vert for a deal. 1800 miles, only mod is metal tire valve stem caps. :-)

Good luck on whatever you decide

Last edited by shotzy; 7/27/10 at 06:44 AM.
Old 7/27/10, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by shotzy

That is great!!! Glad you are enjoying your vert!!
Old 7/27/10, 06:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by slystallion26
also i noticed you said i can get the gears changed at the dealership. Is this true?
This is very true..however shop around as the dealership installation prices vary greatly!! Since the dealership would do the install for you this should also play friendly with your warratny should you have any issues with the gears.
Old 7/27/10, 08:29 AM

Apples/Oranges I bought the wife a GT/CS vert. She loves it, blowing hair and all. Is it
going to feel and handle like a coupe...no. This is the best vert I have driven for lack of
cowl shake and shuttering but you know it is a vert. Depends on how you want to drive it
but it will handle as good as I have had the courage to drive it, again the coupe I test drove
was better but short of auto-crossing I think the vert will handle everything I plan on throwing
at it. The Pirelli tires are pretty good. 6 spd manual will shred the tires in first, rubber in 2nd and
sqeak them in 3rd. My wife says it gives her the "tickle in the tummy" when I get on it. I have
a mid 12 second 70 cougar and the stang is every bit as fun to drive even though it isnt as fast.
The feel of the wind in the vert and the looks you get are worth the loss of a tenth or two.
From 80 to 0 I was happy with the brakes...good as Brembos definitly not...adequate for most
spirited steet driving...definitly yes. Apples/Oranges
Old 7/27/10, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I was very much in the same boat as Double e dad. The handling is pretty bad if you are used to driving anything that handles even somewhat decently. The 2 weeks that I had to wait until I could get the suspension installed was torture. I ordered the suspension ~ 2 days after I picked up the vehicle.

If you want handling in a vert. Expect to upgrade. Approx 1800 everything installed and that is the FRPP handling kit with udjustable panhard bar. Now it handles like it should.

Last edited by shotzy; 7/27/10 at 09:31 AM.
Old 7/27/10, 09:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Just for clarification. . . a pan head bar is a place for Harley riders. A panhard bar is a suspension component.

Just sayin' . . .

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang gt 5.0 convertible performance?