The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   2011 gt500 convert to autotranny (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/2011-gt500-convert-autotranny-491306/)

tom281 2/1/11 04:20 PM

Ladies and gentleman, we have an official siting of the Colonel....... :grin: :grin: Hope all is well Bill..... :nice:

Mach1Marauder 2/1/11 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by tom281 (Post 6007153)
Ladies and gentleman, we have an official siting of the Colonel....... :grin: :grin: Hope all is well Bill..... :nice:

Busy as a bee!:banana::banana::nice:

armycook1981 2/1/11 07:23 PM

i has a gt500 witha 4R70W with baumann elec controller.

Powerhouse in Girard, Pa did the install.....
http://www.powerhouse411.com

Hawaii 5.0 2/1/11 07:26 PM

Im pretty sure it would. And plus youd be able to run more consisyent times when racin on the road course or track because yournshifts are alreayd taken care of for you. All you worry about is handling(:
And it would most like cost around 6-8 grand depending on where you go and if the shop does all the work. Itll definitely be worth it though because if someone notices your car and word gets around, someone big is gonna notice, next thing ya know your car will be featured in places! Itll be a showcase of just what technology is capable of these days, specially if you opt for paddle shifters :flap flap:
Good luck with the project!

YaoNYC 2/1/11 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by tom281 (Post 6007153)

hello tom281! how are you brother? its been a while!

2011 5.0 has brought me back!

camaro can go kiss my a$$ :)

YaoNYC 2/1/11 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0 (Post 6007241)
Im pretty sure it would. And plus youd be able to run more consisyent times when racin on the road course or track because yournshifts are alreayd taken care of for you. All you worry about is handling(:
And it would most like cost around 6-8 grand depending on where you go and if the shop does all the work. Itll definitely be worth it though because if someone notices your car and word gets around, someone big is gonna notice, next thing ya know your car will be featured in places! Itll be a showcase of just what technology is capable of these days, specially if you opt for paddle shifters :flap flap:
Good luck with the project!

hi hawaii! exactly my thoughts! honestly...the old school shifter is cool and i understand people loving it. but i'm going to drive this stang a lot. an Auto. tranny is my choice and joy :)

YSUsteven 2/1/11 08:13 PM

Almost anything can be done...

Its just a matter if your willing to pay what is costs.

IMO, a GT500 should not be an automatic. Its the most extreme FORD that any person can buy, and the auto would only slow the car down. I do not consider the GT as obtainable buy an average person due to the cost.

If you are going to buy a GT500 and have it converted to an auto before you drive it, I suggest that you reconsider. I managed to drive a stick on my first attempt and only stalled it twice. And that was with little to no instruction. My second time, I did not stall it once and even managed one butter smooth start. Its not really that hard to drive, atleast on a flat surface.

YSUsteven 2/1/11 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC (Post 6007274)
hi hawaii! exactly my thoughts! honestly...the old school shifter is cool and i understand people loving it. but i'm going to drive this stang a lot. an Auto. tranny is my choice and joy :)

All the more reason to get a manual.

I would have gotten a manual if I did not have to make a 15 minute, 5 mile trek in mine to and from work everyday.

Hawaii 5.0 2/1/11 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven

IMO, a GT500 should not be an automatic. Its the most extreme FORD that any person can buy, and the auto would only slow the car down. I do not consider the GT as obtainable buy an average person due to the cost.

If you are going to buy a GT500 and have it converted to an auto before you drive it, I suggest that you reconsider. I managed to drive a stick on my first attempt and only stalled it twice. And that was with little to no instruction. My second time, I did not stall it once and even managed one butter smooth start. Its not really that hard to drive, atleast on a flat surface.

Actually if you want the most extreme ford look at the ford gt :jester:
Its the rawest pony car out there though but i say its his car so he can do what he wishes. It would be very interesting to see how an auto, or even a manumatic gt500 would do

bob 2/1/11 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC (Post 6007060)
will a GT handle better than the GT500 cause the reduced nose weight much like how the V6 handles better than the GT?

Yeah, but you'd have to upgrade tires at the very least and probably diddle with the suspension. Apples to Apples (ie stock config suspension and tires) the GT just tends to be more responsive since it carries less weight on the nose. Ford (like Chevy does when it takes care to make sure the Camaro doesn't step on any Corvette toes) makes sure the GT doesn't surpass the GT500 overall.

super6stang 2/2/11 03:10 PM

If I'm not mistaking Lethal performance ran some crazy 1/4 mile time in an auto-converted Gt500...

tom281 2/2/11 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC (Post 6007262)

Yes it has been a while! Glad to see you back around. :nice:

topbliss 2/2/11 05:35 PM

I happen to think an automatic equipped gt500 would be faster then a manual. Look at the new 5.0.. The automatics are as fast if not faster then the manuals stock.. Even with the low 3.15 gear in the automatic.. I have a friend who bought an 011 gt500 a few months ago and it was going in to get an auto installed. He decided to trade it in on a 5.0 automatic and now thats blown and geared an in the 10's :)

YSUsteven 2/3/11 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0 (Post 6007295)
Actually if you want the most extreme ford look at the ford gt :jester:
Its the rawest pony car out there though but i say its his car so he can do what he wishes. It would be very interesting to see how an auto, or even a manumatic gt500 would do

I think you failed to read my entire post...

Originally Posted by YSUsteven (Post 6007275)

And I would consider the GT as a sports car, not a pony car.

Mach1Marauder 2/3/11 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC (Post 6007262)

Get the 5.0 and then PM me for a new Whipple.
Drive it out to Phoenix to break it in
Fly up to Vegas for a couple of days.
Come back to Phoenix and watch the final dyno pull
Go back home with a 500+RWHP car

WIN WIN WIN!:metal::metal::metal:

brewsky54 2/3/11 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven (Post 6007282)
I would have gotten a manual if I did not have to make a 15 minute, 5 mile trek in mine to and from work everyday.

Thats a trek?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :rofl2::rofl2:

Does that make 40 minutes and 14 miles an expedition?
:steering:

Hawaii 5.0 2/3/11 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by brewsky54

Well then my 45 mile long commute is like a journey to mars

YSUsteven 2/3/11 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by brewsky54 (Post 6008242)

The only reason taht its a trek is because I want to go, go, go, but there is too much **** traffic. Ok, maybe I should have said "slog". Anyway, thats an average of 20 mph, and the speed limits are around 40, so that means that I am sitting in traffic half of my drive everyday. That would be a lot of shifting and clutch riding.

I would classify anything over 100 miles as a trip, and over 1000 as an expedition.

Mach1Marauder 2/3/11 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0 (Post 6008247)
Well then my 45 mile long commute is like a journey to mars

Where in the hell do you commute to on Oahu that dang far?

You drive da kine Ka'ena Point?

Hawaii 5.0 2/3/11 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder

Where in the hell do you commute to on Oahu that dang far?

You drive da kine Ka'ena Point?

Haha, well i gotta drive through the wainai range and then along the coast till i hit waikiki. My second job is from outrigger reef hotel on waikiki over to hanauma bay so yea a its a long drive:p