2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 GT Powertrain Uses TI-VCT to Make 400+ HP, Deliver Unsurpassed Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/09, 11:44 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 GT Powertrain Uses TI-VCT to Make 400+ HP, Deliver Unsurpassed Fuel Economy

2011 MUSTANG GT POWERTRAIN USES TI-VCT TO MAKE 400-PLUS HP, DELIVER UNSURPASSED FUEL ECONOMY

click for more photos
  • Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) technology is a key element in helping the new 5.0-liter V-8 Mustang GT deliver class-leading performance and fuel efficiency
  • Variable camshaft timing in the Mustang GT 5.0-liter uses camshaft torque energy actuation, with assistance from pressurized oil, resulting in a broad torque curve
  • Camshaft torque will advance or retard camshaft timing based on internal routing, via one-way valves, resulting in more immediate response across a wide range of engine speeds
Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) will allow drivers of the 2011 Mustang GT to balance high performance and fuel economy.

“Ti-VCT is a win-win-win technology,” said Barb Samardzich, vice president, global powertrain development. “It helps our new range of engines to deliver high performance with unsurpassed projected highway fuel economy of 25 miles per gallon and reduced emissions.”

Ti-VCT provides extremely precise variable – yet independent – control of timing for intake and exhaust valves. Drivers of the 2011 Mustang GT will notice abundant torque and class-leading fuel economy. An additional benefit of Ti-VCT is a reduction of emissions, especially in situations when the throttle is partially open.

Independent adjustment of intake and exhaust valve timing allows maximum fuel economy at part-throttle, while delivering optimized power in full-throttle situations. An added benefit is improved drivability and responsiveness across the torque curve.

How Ti-VCT works
The new 5.0-liter V-8 in the 2011 Mustang GT is a double-overhead-camshaft configuration that employs two camshafts per cylinder bank – one camshaft to operate the intake valves and one camshaft to operate the exhaust valves. Ti-VCT rotates the camshafts to advance or retard the cam timing, based on several measures including throttle opening.

An element unique to the Mustang GT 5.0-liter V-8 application is that Ti-VCT is actuated by camshaft torque, with assistance from pressurized oil. Using camshaft torque energy provides faster throttle response and maximizes use of existing energy, to aid fuel economy. Camshaft torque energy Ti-VCT actuation is a Ford innovation, introduced first on the 3.0-liter V-6.

Working like a ratchet, the one-way valves allow precise timing of camshaft events, continually optimizing timing to provide maximum thrust or fuel economy, based on driver input.

“Ti-VCT technology will continue to proliferate across the Ford powertrain portfolio,” said Samardzich. “By 2013, you can expect to see this advancement available on 90 percent of our nameplates.”
Old 12/28/09, 02:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just remember guys, as far as MPGs go, they have been under-promising and over-delivering too!
Old 12/28/09, 07:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
From Motor Trend's article - "412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque (on recommended but not required premium fuel, slightly less on regular no-lead)."

Way to go, Ford!
Old 12/28/09, 07:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
From Motor Trend's article - "412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque (on recommended but not required premium fuel, slightly less on regular no-lead)."

Way to go, Ford!

Hmm, wonder how much it will make with 93 octane...
Old 12/28/09, 07:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
Hmm, wonder how much it will make with 93 octane...
The way I read the article, you need to use premium for the 412hp, otherwise, if you use regular, you get a little less.
Old 12/28/09, 08:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

And by the way, I think this is impressive because I was assuming with this power output level and what has turned out to be a higher compression ratio than the current 4.6L engine, people would be looking at premium with no chance for regular. However, I assume the current ECM capabilities and all the development work put into this engine account for this fuel octane recommendation.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 12/28/09 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12/28/09, 08:55 AM
FR500 Member

And by the way, I think this is impressive because I was assuming with this power output level and what has turned out to be a higher compression ratio than the current 4.6L engine, people would be looking at premium with no chance for regular. However, I assume the current ECM capabilities and all the development work put into this engine account for this fuel octane recommendation.
In one of the articles Ford stated the ECU runs the engine at the knock limit ALL THE TIME, using high bandwidth sensors and controls.
Old 12/28/09, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
In one of the articles Ford stated the ECU runs the engine at the knock limit ALL THE TIME, using high bandwidth sensors and controls.
That's great - you got a link to the article? Thanks!
Old 12/28/09, 09:08 AM
FR500 Member

That's great - you got a link to the article? Thanks!
Trying to find it.

Edit: It's from AutoBlog
Originally Posted by Autoblog
Even without using direct injection, Ford was still able to achieve an impressive 11:1 compression ratio while allowing the engine to still run on regular gas. According to Harrison, a lot of effort was expended on the engine management system. The adaptive spark control system keeps the engine running right on the knock sensor all the time, continuously adjusting the spark advance to avoid detonation regardless of the fuel used. The control system has a high bandwidth air-fuel control algorithm to make sure that it's both responsive and efficient.

Last edited by PTRocks; 12/28/09 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12/28/09, 09:24 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is very impressive! Thanks for posting Brad!

I didn't really need to buy a new car next year, but this will be hard to resist!
Old 12/28/09, 09:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Trying to find it.

Edit: It's from AutoBlog
Thanks! Awesome! Good job, Ford!!
Old 12/28/09, 10:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The way I read the article, you need to use premium for the 412hp, otherwise, if you use regular, you get a little less.

Yeah but it was rated that with 91 octane, which is what a lot of people are stuck with. I'm just wondering how much more, if any, you would get with 93 octane. Or race gas! Sounds like it automatically adjusts the timing for a higher octane.
Old 12/28/09, 10:36 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

The adaptive tune along with the sophisticated knock sensors will help when running boost, especially considering the Coyote's 11:1 CR.
Old 12/28/09, 03:33 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
And this makes things QUITE interesting
Old 12/28/09, 03:40 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
And this makes things QUITE interesting
hmmm. 93 or 100 octane anyone?
Old 12/28/09, 03:42 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like it automatically adjusts the timing for a higher octane.
Like they did with Bullitt. Prem adds 10 lb ft of torque.
Old 12/28/09, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah but it was rated that with 91 octane, which is what a lot of people are stuck with. I'm just wondering how much more, if any, you would get with 93 octane. Or race gas! Sounds like it automatically adjusts the timing for a higher octane.
Ah, I get your question now. It will be interesting to see how much "smarts" are built into the system and the effect on the ratings.
Old 12/28/09, 03:54 PM
I Have No Life

hmmm. 93 or 100 octane anyone?
I'm sure it has limits, and knows its boundaries.

BUT

with this technology, it makes things quite interesting on the modding end
Old 12/28/09, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...auto-show.html

According to this guy hp is reduced to 402 on regular fuel.
Old 12/28/09, 03:57 PM
I Have No Life

it also has skip shift..

Quick Reply: 2011 GT Powertrain Uses TI-VCT to Make 400+ HP, Deliver Unsurpassed Fuel Economy