2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 Ford Mustang - First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/10, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YSUsteven
Says the guy with 5.0 in his user name... Why din't you go with KonaBlue3.7?
Mutual respect for a very capable car? Naahh, couldn't be!
Old 12/28/10, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GreenBayShooter
I've been looking at the 2010 and 2011 'Stangs now for a couple weeks and thinking I might buy one in a couple years. I've been reading lots of reviews and 99% of them are positive... Everyone LOVES the V6 Mustang. Then I run into this V6 speed limiting issue... SAY WHAT!!!! 113mph?

My VW CC is limited at 130mph, and only has 200hp, 207 lb-ft of torque. I've actually driven it that fast, and it was solid as a rock. And it gets up there pretty quick.

My image of the 'Stang is now somewhat tarnished. Not that I'm going to pass on buying one because of this reason... There are ways to fix this of course. But come on. Why limit it so much? I don't know if I buy that tire rating argument. My old '91 Honda Civic Si could go 120mph. Of course, it took a while to get there!
what you have to do is look at target audience. most of the people who buy a V6 are either women or men between 16-23. a majority will be men 16-23 who are retarded and like to show off their brand new car. this is also an age group that doesn't understand the physics behind a crash or how to drive a car. so yes, a limited of 115 seems like a great idea since there's no reason to EVER break that speed.

before someone gets butt hurt about me saying that age group is retarded, note that i am 23 but i understand physics and i know how to drive my car.
Old 12/29/10, 02:57 AM
GT Member

Can somebody indeed confirm that the 2011 V6 is limited to 113 MPH? If it is, it makes one wonder why Ford changed from the 120-MPH speedo that was on the 2010 V6. That speedo made sense to me. If they upped the top speed on the speedo in the 2011 and left the 113 MPH limit on the engine, well, that just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

"Here, we'll show you what your car could do IN THEORY."
Old 12/29/10, 03:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trane
Can somebody indeed confirm that the 2011 V6 is limited to 113 MPH? If it is, it makes one wonder why Ford changed from the 120-MPH speedo that was on the 2010 V6. That speedo made sense to me. If they upped the top speed on the speedo in the 2011 and left the 113 MPH limit on the engine, well, that just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

"Here, we'll show you what your car could do IN THEORY."
I can confirm 100% that the car is governed between 115MPH and 120MPH.....closer to 120MPH. That is less than 200 KPH (124MPH) which the majority of the European cars can reach. I could reach the limiter legally here and even cruising at 100 MPH small cars still pass you in the summertime. The regular 3 series BMWs will out run you as soon as you hit the brick wall speed limiter for example. Simple solution, get an SCT device like I did and have an SCT tuner remove the speed limiter. I paid almost $450 for the device without any canned or custom tune and in the USA you can get it for a bit less including a performance tune. I will have a custom tune and dyno next spring. The dealer here is a great tuner and he does not like the US tunes. He always writes a custom tune and of course that will be another $200 but it s not just a Wide Open Throttle tune. It is for the entire rev range, partial load, full load, wide open throttle, and driveability, plus a gurantee.

With the speed limiter the car would reach top speed on the dyno and provided distorted numbers (third gear run with a calculation). No limiter and no isssues here - 229 RWHP. Not so impressive but only numbers. It feels faster than my old 96 cobra and for sure it is in the higher RPMs.

Last edited by eurocobra; 12/29/10 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12/29/10, 04:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Agreed on all accounts.
But if I ever move to Germany, you can bet that I would be on that Autobahn every day!
I am on the bahn everyday!!! I love it but I am ready to move back to the US for work/professional growth reasons. I will hate driving in the USA for sure due to the number of zombie and unalert drivers in the left lane. I will return to Germany before too long.
Old 12/29/10, 06:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sdsguy
what you have to do is look at target audience. most of the people who buy a V6 are either women or men between 16-23. a majority will be men 16-23 who are retarded and like to show off their brand new car. this is also an age group that doesn't understand the physics behind a crash or how to drive a car. so yes, a limited of 115 seems like a great idea since there's no reason to EVER break that speed.

before someone gets butt hurt about me saying that age group is retarded, note that i am 23 but i understand physics and i know how to drive my car.
Some of us bought a V6 because it's all we need. I'm old enough to be your father (almost your grandfather) and I've had my share of muscle cars over the years. But I've matured and realized that I'm not going to race anymore and I don't live in Germany so I have absolutely no reason to worry about the speed limiter - I will never get close to 120 mph in this car.

As for V6 versus V8... in a way it's about cost. I could easily afford a GT but I don't see the value of spending that additional $7K to get horsepower I'll never use. The new V6 is comparable in power to any muscle car I've ever owned and that's plenty to have fun with.
Old 12/29/10, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by trane
Can somebody indeed confirm that the 2011 V6 is limited to 113 MPH? If it is, it makes one wonder why Ford changed from the 120-MPH speedo that was on the 2010 V6.
It's cheaper to use one speedometer face for both the GT and V6 than to make two different ones. I agree it is a shame that the speed limiter is set so low, though. Even if you get a package that has higher performance tires, you're still limited to about 115 mph in the V6, unless you get a custom tune.