2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 Ford Mustang - First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/10, 03:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the estimates, I'm guessing the V6 is the lower numbers: 5 seconds 0-60 and 13.6 Qtr mile times. The GT is 4.5 seconds and 12.8 in the Qtr.
Old 1/23/10, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
Looking at the estimates, I'm guessing the V6 is the lower numbers: 5 seconds 0-60 and 13.6 Qtr mile times. The GT is 4.5 seconds and 12.8 in the Qtr.
Those are only guesses, and the real times may be lower or higher. We will need to wait until they actually test them, hopefully late Feb to early March.
Old 1/23/10, 08:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Even with the 3.31s, I seriously doubt the V6 will be that fast. I say 5.6-5.8 and 13.8-14.2 maybe. And to the previous reply to my "I don't want a computer controlling my top speed", um, I wasn't saying I don't want computers controlling functions in my cars. Why would you assume that? My point was that I don't want electronic nannies controlling my car and how I drive. In every car I get in, I turn the TC off no matter what. There's no way to get a feel for the car with those "driving aids" turned on. My car has no TC, no ABS and I only have about 25% tread left on my tires. I hydroplaned for a good 50 feet on the way to work yesterday. I had a major, unexpected engine tuneup a couple weeks ago so I have to wait until my next paycheck to get new tires. Still. I trust myself in my car 100x more than soccer mom in her AWD Audi Q7 in the next lane. I know how to drive. I know how to drive in inclement weather. I don't need a computer limiting my abilities. That was my point.

That being said, the average V6 buyer, even with the new V6 and limited slip, will definitely still need that limiter. Hell even the average GT buyer. Esepcially now. 200hp is easily enough to overwhelm most Americans. 300hp even moreso. 400hp? Deathtrap for those rich parents who decide to buy Johnny a new GT for his 16th birthday in high school.

I agree with the limiters being needed. I just don't need them on MY car and will have it turned off with a tuner.
Old 1/23/10, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ttgt500

Old 1/23/10, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Even with the 3.31s, I seriously doubt the V6 will be that fast. I say 5.6-5.8 and 13.8-14.2 maybe. And to the previous reply to my "I don't want a computer controlling my top speed", um, I wasn't saying I don't want computers controlling functions in my cars. Why would you assume that? My point was that I don't want electronic nannies controlling my car and how I drive. In every car I get in, I turn the TC off no matter what. There's no way to get a feel for the car with those "driving aids" turned on. My car has no TC, no ABS and I only have about 25% tread left on my tires. I hydroplaned for a good 50 feet on the way to work yesterday. I had a major, unexpected engine tuneup a couple weeks ago so I have to wait until my next paycheck to get new tires. Still. I trust myself in my car 100x more than soccer mom in her AWD Audi Q7 in the next lane. I know how to drive. I know how to drive in inclement weather. I don't need a computer limiting my abilities. That was my point.

That being said, the average V6 buyer, even with the new V6 and limited slip, will definitely still need that limiter. Hell even the average GT buyer. Esepcially now. 200hp is easily enough to overwhelm most Americans. 300hp even moreso. 400hp? Deathtrap for those rich parents who decide to buy Johnny a new GT for his 16th birthday in high school.

I agree with the limiters being needed. I just don't need them on MY car and will have it turned off with a tuner.
Agreed that speed limiters are necessary, and many are set based on the capabilities of the tires. If the tires are rated to 120 MPH, no one should be driving at 150 MPH with them.

It would also be a liability for manufactures if there were no limiters.

There is no need to drive more than 100 MPH on any public road anyway. But if you take it to a track, thats differant.
Old 1/23/10, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Agreed on all accounts.

That being said, who hasn't stretche their Pony's legs on wide open roadways with no traffic and no LEOs, once in a while?! Driving to LA on I5 is SO boring. I've also driven cross country on 80. Even my almost stock SN95 V6 hit the limiter VERY quickly, and I have the suspension, tires, and some professional training to know how to handle the car at high speeds. Cruising at 80mph, it only takes a few seconds to hit 120, and my car is very stable and still pulling strong at the limiter. I haven't done the math with the gearing, but I'm pretty sure without the limiter it could hit 140 easily. Why does that matter? It doesn't. But if I ever move to Germany, you can bet that I would be on that Autobahn every day!
Old 1/23/10, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed on all accounts.

That being said, who hasn't stretche their Pony's legs on wide open roadways with no traffic and no LEOs, once in a while?! Driving to LA on I5 is SO boring. I've also driven cross country on 80. Even my almost stock SN95 V6 hit the limiter VERY quickly, and I have the suspension, tires, and some professional training to know how to handle the car at high speeds. Cruising at 80mph, it only takes a few seconds to hit 120, and my car is very stable and still pulling strong at the limiter. I haven't done the math with the gearing, but I'm pretty sure without the limiter it could hit 140 easily. Why does that matter? It doesn't. But if I ever move to Germany, you can bet that I would be on that Autobahn every day!
The only place I would do it is at the track! I had a chance recently to drive 5 hot laps at Talladega in my 2000 GT. I was able to average just over 150 for 2 laps and hit 171 (GPS) on the backstretch on lap 4. The car has Cobra R bodywork (hood/wing/front splitter) and it was very stable except for some hood flapping over 160.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Ford Mustang - First Ride-dega.jpg  
Old 1/23/10, 09:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
LOL..the stock brakes on a Fox body wasn't much better than Fred Flintstone with his feet.

Dave
I had a 1988 Mustang GT and once set the left front brake pads on fire from a single high-speed stop. The brakes were one of the biggest reasons I only kept that car for four years.
Old 1/23/10, 09:57 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by YSUsteven
There is no need to drive more than 100 MPH on any public road anyway. But if you take it to a track, thats differant.

Is there any state with a speed limit over 75? I think Montana even went back to a spedd limit as opposed to "safe and prudent".

Anyways 112 for the V6 is probably due to having S or T rated tires and the 149 on the GT is probably so the GT500 gets bragging rights at 155. My GT and my GT500 both felt pretty stable over 130, although the stock suspension on the GT had problems on a bumpy road at or over 80, a suspension change cured that problem though.
Old 1/23/10, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob

Is there any state with a speed limit over 75? I think Montana even went back to a spedd limit as opposed to "safe and prudent".

Anyways 112 for the V6 is probably due to having S or T rated tires and the 149 on the GT is probably so the GT500 gets bragging rights at 155. My GT and my GT500 both felt pretty stable over 130, although the stock suspension on the GT had problems on a bumpy road at or over 80, a suspension change cured that problem though.
Texas does! 80 MPH in the empty stretches of the state. Don't mess with Texas!
Old 1/24/10, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In for purchase!
Old 7/29/10, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed on all accounts.

Well I moved to Germany years ago. AUTOBAHN every day - I love it!!!! No speed limit!!! I do hate that my 2011 stang is top speed limited. My wife's little 120 HP Opel Tigra is actually faster than my 305HP mustang. Her car can reach 125MPH although we never drive it that fast. FUNNY!!!
Old 7/29/10, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's awesome. Let those ponies free!! Grab yourself an SCT tuner from over here and remove the limiter!
Old 12/27/10, 04:30 PM

I've been looking at the 2010 and 2011 'Stangs now for a couple weeks and thinking I might buy one in a couple years. I've been reading lots of reviews and 99% of them are positive... Everyone LOVES the V6 Mustang. Then I run into this V6 speed limiting issue... SAY WHAT!!!! 113mph?

My VW CC is limited at 130mph, and only has 200hp, 207 lb-ft of torque. I've actually driven it that fast, and it was solid as a rock. And it gets up there pretty quick.

My image of the 'Stang is now somewhat tarnished. Not that I'm going to pass on buying one because of this reason... There are ways to fix this of course. But come on. Why limit it so much? I don't know if I buy that tire rating argument. My old '91 Honda Civic Si could go 120mph. Of course, it took a while to get there!
Old 12/27/10, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GreenBayShooter
I've been looking at the 2010 and 2011 'Stangs now for a couple weeks and thinking I might buy one in a couple years. I've been reading lots of reviews and 99% of them are positive... Everyone LOVES the V6 Mustang. Then I run into this V6 speed limiting issue... SAY WHAT!!!! 113mph?

My VW CC is limited at 130mph, and only has 200hp, 207 lb-ft of torque. I've actually driven it that fast, and it was solid as a rock. And it gets up there pretty quick.

My image of the 'Stang is now somewhat tarnished. Not that I'm going to pass on buying one because of this reason... There are ways to fix this of course. But come on. Why limit it so much? I don't know if I buy that tire rating argument. My old '91 Honda Civic Si could go 120mph. Of course, it took a while to get there!
Those that typically buy a V6 mustang are not looking for speed, hence they bought the V6...

If you want speed, man up and get the V8 GT... If you don't understand that, you do not understand what a "mustang" really is.
Old 12/27/10, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Those that typically buy a V6 mustang are not looking for speed, hence they bought the V6...

If you want speed, man up and get the V8 GT... If you don't understand that, you do not understand what a "mustang" really is.

If we were specifically talking about the 2010 V6, your statement would have merit. With the 2011 V6 out, you look stupid.
Old 12/27/10, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
If we were specifically talking about the 2010 V6, your statement would have merit. With the 2011 V6 out, you look stupid.
Says the guy with 5.0 in his user name... Why din't you go with KonaBlue3.7?
Old 12/27/10, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Says the guy with 5.0 in his user name... Why din't you go with KonaBlue3.7?
Because he has a 5.0 .... ANYWAY, the 2011 V6 has faster 1/4 times then a new edge GT if you believe the numbers posted by American Muscle, personally a V6 that can do a 13.7 in the quarter mile is fast ... Then again you can't beat the ***** out performance and sound of the 5.0
Old 12/27/10, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Because he has a 5.0 .... ANYWAY, the 2011 V6 has faster 1/4 times then a new edge GT if you believe the numbers posted by American Muscle, personally a V6 that can do a 13.7 in the quarter mile is fast ... Then again you can't beat the ***** out performance and sound of the 5.0
DING DING DING!!! Someone who gets it...
Old 12/27/10, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Plus one for people who dislike speed limiters! I dont like them, but maybe...maybe they are needed for normal buyers. Maybe for the people who forget about tire ratings. Although I've found my Ram has a ~107mph limiter that I didn't like when it cut in...that thing probably shouldn't go any faster though so it was cool.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Mustang - First Ride