2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 Clutch & Transmission Fix Coming

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/10, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
Here is what goes through my mind and Im a big Ford supporter. How long have they been putting clutches and manual transmissions in cars? Since 1903 the last I checked. How does this happen? I know manuals are in a severe minority these days but have they forgot how to make them or not done enough testing or what?

I was almost at the point not to think a first year model was not a risk but now Im having second thoughts. The Camaro has been hit with similar problems also. What gives? I guess its safe to hold out for good reason. I dont honestly think Ford knows whats going on right now and that concerns me.
Even during the '60's there were trans troubles,mostly with the factory shifters and linkage. You would think that with today's CNC machining,supposed to produce exact precision copies of what you want,the trannys would have fewer issues.
However,look at the TKO-600 HD trans...they don't shift well either at high loading,like at the track,unless you invest in the better synchro fix. Why didn't they do this when the box is produced?
The old T-5 trans shifted great,but was on the weak side.
What kind of trans issues will the 2012 Boss have,I wonder?
Old 12/22/10, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmatero
What's interesting is that they are BRUTAL with these cars during testing. If this didn't start appearing until thousands were sold and "in the field" that points to:

1. Assembly line: Wrong pressure plate bolt locktight used, incorrect torque for bolts, incorrect tightening sequence.

2. Vendors: Transmission, clutch assembly, slave/master cylinder, and contaminated or mislabeled clutch hydraulic fluid & transmission fluid.

Actually, the big theory on the PP bolts is that they were either incorrectly, or not heat-treated and are stretching after installation, resulting in them getting loose and backing out.

I wonder who the PP bolts are being supplied by... my $5 says China.
Old 12/22/10, 10:53 AM
GTR Member

Interesting. Wonder if this will be a recall or just a TSB.

I'm experiencing some rough shifting in 1st and 2nd, but that's about it.
Old 12/22/10, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
Interesting. Wonder if this will be a recall or just a TSB.

I'm experiencing some rough shifting in 1st and 2nd, but that's about it.
Yup that's how mine started. Since then, I've had seemingly random grinding going into 5th on three occasions.

Last week, out of nowhere, downshifting from 5th to 4th felt like the gate was blocked, and many times I just got stuck in neutral because it wouldn't go into 4th.

It's hard for me to diagnose what's wrong since it's my first manual. But some things I logically knew was not right. Still love my car though.
Old 12/22/10, 01:08 PM
GTR Member

I've noticed it more in the cold lately, but it's still a nuisance. On top of that, 2nd always has a "bump" which I'd guess is getting past the skip-shift solenoid.

This is now the 4th manual I've owned, and I can tell you that it's the best I've owned, with the exception of the 1-2 shift.
Old 12/22/10, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmatero
What's interesting is that they are BRUTAL with these cars during testing. If this didn't start appearing until thousands were sold and "in the field" that points to:

1. Assembly line: Wrong pressure plate bolt locktight used, incorrect torque for bolts, incorrect tightening sequence.

2. Vendors: Transmission, clutch assembly, slave/master cylinder, and contaminated or mislabeled clutch hydraulic fluid & transmission fluid.
Exactly - there is a lot that can happen once you get things to production. Not that it is something one wants to deal with, but it is a reality in the complex supply chain that is under continuing cost pressures to deliver more at less cost.

At any rate, thanks, John, for your continuned dilligence in being one of the people on the forefront of working back through your dealership and Ford Customer Service.

I have been reading your posts and the referenced ones in this thread with great interest.
Old 12/22/10, 02:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mus408
What kind of trans issues will the 2012 Boss have,I wonder?
Hopefully NONE after this issue is addressed! However, I believe there are questions being asked even as this is unfolding.
Old 12/22/10, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyM
Yup that's how mine started. Since then, I've had seemingly random grinding going into 5th on three occasions.

Last week, out of nowhere, downshifting from 5th to 4th felt like the gate was blocked, and many times I just got stuck in neutral because it wouldn't go into 4th.

It's hard for me to diagnose what's wrong since it's my first manual. But some things I logically knew was not right. Still love my car though.
I have this same issue. Once out of about every 20 shifts into 5th or so, I get a grind. And the grind is only into 5th gear. Sometimes when I shift into third, I get that "gate blocked" feeling. When I first got the car, I thought it was just me not being used to the gear setup.
Old 12/22/10, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

if you voided your warranty with a supercharger would they still have to fix it under the TSB? Since even though the warranty is voided they are admitting the tranny is messed up in some way.
Old 12/22/10, 04:47 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Overboost
I've noticed it more in the cold lately, but it's still a nuisance. On top of that, 2nd always has a "bump" which I'd guess is getting past the skip-shift solenoid.

This is now the 4th manual I've owned, and I can tell you that it's the best I've owned, with the exception of the 1-2 shift.
Yep, me too!
Old 12/22/10, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Same here as well, 1-2 shift a bit grindy.
Old 12/22/10, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I met with the service manager at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, CA and the Ford Tech for the Bay Area joined us. They were great.. we all drove my car... and drove a new one on the lot (6/10 build). The difference in clutches was amazing. The new car's clutch picked up right off the floor.. with a smooth, progressive engagement. It had NONE of the jarring my car has when shifting at low speeds. The new car had been on the lot all night and the first thing the tech mentioned was the crunching going into 2nd on that car too. It diminished as soon as we warmed it up though.

He also checked my engine mounts just to confirm the motor was secure.. which it was. In the end, he felt the best course of action was to replace the flywheel, clutch assembly, and entire transmission... which they ordered. The technician acknowledged that Ford believes shift effort is too hard/rough when the car is cold and engineering is investigating solutions. Their focus is on the fluid and synchronizers, but there is no word on when/if an update is coming down the pike.

Upon leaving the dealership, I thought about it and I think I'm going to contact Ford again and ask if they would please replace the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave, and pilot bearing while they have it all apart. That way EVERYTHING related to the clutch and EVERYTHING between the motor and drive shaft is factory new.
Old 12/23/10, 04:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear that you are making progress on this and your car. Nice to see the Ford rep also finding the problems as normally when I have taken cars to the dealers with an issue it NEVER does it at the dealers!!

I have found mine to be stiff at best on first change 1-2 from cold but after that 2 finger changes are all thats needed and smooth. The only exception to this was trying to be too quick / forceful through the double H and I put that down to the closeness of the gates and not being used to that.

Fingers crossed though only 600kms on mine right now.
Old 12/23/10, 05:14 AM
GTR Member

Sounds like I'll be taking mine into the dealer after the first of the year.
Old 12/23/10, 08:39 AM
GT Member

Same here, in the cold (40degrees or less) getting into first and second is tough. 15 mins later, once the car warms up, no problems at all.
My car was built 10/10/10.
Old 12/23/10, 09:08 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi Guys!!!

This is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. Have you guys had the chance to bring your vehicles in to your dealership for diagnosis? If not, I recommend you make an appointment with them. Also you can private message me your VIN, dealership information and contact information to see if I can help in any way.

Deysha
Old 12/23/10, 11:43 AM
V6 Member

I brought in my car for a tire change. I mentioned that shifting was pretty tough from 1-2 and 2-3. He only said that's because they transmission fluid is cold. Once it warms up it is better. I don't think this and many other Ford dealers care much about this issue.